17) Prayer

17) Prayer

A Chapter by Kelly M.

Some weeks had passed and one sunny afternoon, April was down on her hands and knees with her garden gloves, watering her vegetable sprouts.  It was a special time for her because the children were off at school and Drew was working, so she was all alone.  She could let her thoughts drift on and on.  Everything was so quiet-- not at all restless or uneasy.  She loved this time of the day. 


There was a pause in April's activity as she lifted back her sunhat from her sweating forehead, tucking back a strand of wayward hair.  She let her gaze sweep over the meadow where daisies were rocking back and forth with the wind.  A high pitched whinny caught April's attention off to the right where Leila was kicking up her heels and prancing around with head held high.  Beyond all this, she could faintly make out the outline of a few houses, nestled in the forest.  And then she recognized the sound of the school bell and its mellow ding-dong in the distance.  This meant the children would soon arrive and, not long after, Drew.  


Well, she thought with an added sigh of relief, at least, there's Jenny's raisin loaf-- and it should go well with yesterday's stew, were her practical thoughts for the next meal.


But before she rushed into supper plans, she indulged herself by lingering for a few moments more in her garden. 


It was shortly after that April was startled as she felt a shadow pass over her and then heard a soft voice asking quietly, "May I help?"


She glanced up, surprised.  Ella, who had just then returned home from school, had on an old apron of April's and a garden tool in her hands.  It appeared the other youngsters had already been ushered inside to start their after-school chores.


April's face broke into a warm smile.  "Why, of course you may-- at least for a little while, I suppose.  Before long, we'll have to go in.  But why don't you start pulling at those weeds over there, hm?"


Ella didn't make comment, but quietly joined her.


"How was school?" she asked with interest.


Ella shrugged.  "Fine."


"Were you able to play with your friends?"


She pulled at a stubborn weed before immediate reply.  "Mm-hmm."


April fell silent, observing the solemn face.  She felt there was something absent in the usual joyful, bouncy Ella that she knew.  A few minutes passed before she bothered to make comment.


"Is there anything wrong, Ella?" she asked in a soft, yet somewhat concerned tone of voice.  "Was it anything at school...?"


But before she could complete her sentence, Ella quickly shook her head.  "No."


April laid aside her garden gloves.  "Want to talk about it?"


Ella's small frame began to shake as she broke into sobs.


Her words all seemed to tumble over each other, unheeded.  "I-- I was angry," she stuttered, "with God."  Her eyes gazed up at April's innocently, and the pain written across her eyes shook April to the core of her heart.  She reached out a hand to her, squeezing it to urge her on gently.  


She sniffled and glanced away, down the winding road where Drew would soon come, a few strands of playful hair tickling her face.  April would never forget the softness of her voice as she whispered, "I said a prayer to Him on Thanksgiving.  Not a good one.  I said that I wasn't thankful for anything He gave me and for taking Mama away."  Ella swiped at the tears with clumsy fists.  "But Mama's happy in heaven."  Her flushed, tear-stained face looked up into hers and a fleeting sparkle came to her eyes.  "I should be happy, too.  I like it here.  It was awful living with Mama," she admitted under her breath, as though frightened to confess it.  "We were always hungry and she got sick and I was awf'lly scared and lonely."  She shivered and held tighter to April's hand.  "She's better, now, in heaven and it's better for us, too."


April pulled the child close to her side.  "Oh, Ella," she whispered softly, and she rocked her back in forth in her arms.  "I didn't know... I'm so sorry."


Ella was very quiet for what seemed a long time and then asked in a whispery voice, "Should I tell God sorry?  I don't want to be angry with Him anymore.  I want to be good.  I want to be His little girl always-- His happy little girl."  She paused, then, a light coming to her eyes, exclaimed, as though in realization, "Like Papa's."


April's heart melted, and her heart gave a joyous skip and she impulsively gave Ella's hand another encouraging squeeze.  "If that's what you feel in your heart you need to do, Ella.  Would you like me to help you?"


She seemed to think hard about it, because her brow puckered in deep thought.  She looked up again.  "I think I better tell God myself.  But could you hold my hand?"


April could only nod, too touched to speak.


And there, in the midst of the plants and soil, Ella gave her heart to Jesus.  April never heard such a sweet, dear voice speak such a sincere prayer.  Those words spoken would forever be etched on the pages of her heart.


After Ella had whispered her final 'Amen,' she lifted her head so that rays of sunshine spilled over her face, revealing her joy.


"Now, I'm His little girl forever," she breathed.  "Like Papa's."



© 2013 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
:)

I loved writing this chapter, but I'm sorry for the short length and the wait! Hope you enjoyed! :)

~Reviews/thoughts/criticism is appreciated! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Even though its just a book I'm still touched. And I'm amazed

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aw so sweet! I love Ella! She is such a cute little girl! You describe everything perfectly! I can imagine Ella and April sitting in the flower garden praying. And I can imagine April outside lookin up at the beautiful blue sky. And Leila whinning in the pasture nearby. You are so amazing! I love you so much! :) We need to find time to visit! Sorry bout this weekend:( I am helping out our church with a junior camp down at the beach. Definetly sometime this summer though! Hahah I know this is a really long comment. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


That was so sweet. I love Ella. She's absolutely adorable.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Some chapters are meant to be short. Their shortness makes the important parts stand out.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I didn't notice the short length. It was beautiful! I love this book so much! :) You seem to be getting better than I am at writing!! :P Haha! :)

~Lizzy~

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

395 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 18, 2012
Last Updated on November 15, 2013


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.