Control break

Control break

A Chapter by Alisha Heistand

I woke up the next morning a bit late, so I got in my truck and drove quickly down to the train station, getting there just as the train did. I payed my ticket and took a seat, towards the back. As the train started to slowly move forward, I let my thoughts take over. I remembered Jade, Sasha and Jasmine; I remembered each of the days they'd officially turned on me...

 

                                     *                              *                                *

It was my freshman year in high school. I'd gotten up early, making myself look nice, and got on the bus only to see a pair of hazel eyes staring me down from the back. Jade. She was dressed in black and red (her new favorite colors) and had her pin straight blonde hair pulled back into a ponytail. I sat across from her, only because it was the only seat left. She began her normal routine criticisms about me. She and I were always in constant arguments beause she told me I should think this and wear that. She wanted me to change, and I didn't want to. I tried to stay true to myself but got criticised for it. I knew this constant nagging wouldn't end on the bus, which just to prove my point, pulled up to the school. I saw Sasha waiting for Jade, all the while staring at me with hatred.

Sasha had hated me for the longest time. Once, around second grade, I'd thought Sasha was my friend. I realized soon enough she'd only been pretending, telling eveyone behind my back that I was wierd, and a loser. Since we were all about 8, they believed her. With Sasha being popular then and in middle school, everyone believed her. She seemed to like having people at her feet, in a way. A person would do or say anything just to earn a second glance from Sasha. I'd been different, I didn't care if she didin't like me or my friends. I learned to care soon enough, because Sasha had ruined my self esteem forever. I couldn't even go to lunch in peace; I ate alone, so I was stared at constantly. Sasha and Jade sat together, watching me the entire time. I had no clue she would want a third person with her, on her right side to do all her dirty work.

Jasmine had been different, at the time. She was funny, nice and smart. She was my 'lunch buddy' for the first two weeks of middle school. Then, Sasha's words got to her. Jasmine would ask me why I didn't want to be popular like Sasha was. I told her it was because it was self absorbed shallowness. I gave credit where it was due, but just because Sasha was pretty on the outside, it didn't mean she was as equally pretty on the inside. The inside counted for me. Jasmine soon stopped sitting with me, and gave me odd looks in class. In time, I'd been reunited with a childhood friend- Mike. When Sasha, Jade and Jasmine showed up one day in lunch, Mike had stood up for me. Sasha tried to reinforce the hate everyone else had for me. Mike told her she was just jealous because I had a better personality than her. Sasha was livid; she'd had a crush on Mike ever since second grade. She stormed off, and that was the last encounter I'd had with her.

     *                                *                             *

The train pulled into South Station, and I got off. I'd done a MapQuest last night, so I knew where the building was. I got there in the nick of time, just as the secretary called my name.

"Miss Madison? Mr. Starr will see you now." she said casually

I thanked her and walked into the office, only to find no one sitting in the elegant chair behind the desk. I immediately took in everything about the room. The plain walls and plain curtains, the near-empty desk, even the faint breathing coming from behind me. The door closed and I turned to see a dark haired man swiftly crossing the room to sit behind the desk. His movements were casual, but something about him irked me. I saw the plaque on the desk, which read 'Kevin Starr'. I began, not wasting time.

"Good morning, Mr. Starr I assume you know my reason for being here." I said politely

 "I most definitely do, Genevieve." he said with an edge in his tone.

He knew my name. This definitely wasn't good. I hid my discomfort and looked him in the eye, not caring if he noticed when my eyes changed color.

"Well Kevin, I know you are currently involved in clearing-"

"I said I knew why you were here." he said, cutting me off

I stood there and simply stared at him.

"I know you want to stop me. It's not going to happen, so you can go back and talk to all the animals you want."

 Oh no, there really was an Order recruit in my realm.

There had to be, there was no other way he would know that, let alone anyone else.

 "How do you know about me?" I asked.

 "Oh, my dear Genevieve. You don't remember me? Such a shame. Shall I trigger your memory? Hmm...what does the number 3 mean to you?" he asked snidely.

"Absolutely nothing, why should it?"

 "You always were a terrible liar, my dear." he said, looking me in the eyes.

 Oh, no. Kevin. I should have known; those eyes...

 

 I felt my control breaking, which wasn't good for Kevin's sake.



© 2013 Alisha Heistand


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting chapter; I definitely like the way you've spread everything out though, instead of just making this one giant story. Good work!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 18, 2012
Last Updated on May 9, 2013


Author

Alisha Heistand
Alisha Heistand

RI



About
I'm kinda like the quiet one nobody talks to except for once in a while...I guess. Or at least, I used to be So far in my 19 years of life, I've had 5 near-death experiences. I've made many frie.. more..

Writing
Silk Silk

A Poem by Alisha Heistand