Death Trap

Death Trap

A Chapter by Alisha Heistand

My resting period would be over soon, I knew that for sure. I knew Sasha, Jade and Jasmine were only toying with me; playing cat and mouse in their own twisted way. Not that I was surprised. As long as they didn't know about my dream world, I would be safe. But that didn't mean they could destroy the real world for their own selfish purposes. I was still debating whether or not to go back to Boston to see Kevin. Something at my subconsciousness teetered on the edge, wanting to drag me back into a deep sleep. I knew that I couldn't afford that; I had to stay awake, I had to think. 
It seemed Kevin was still goodhearted like he used to be. It was just the fact that he was working for the Order that truly bothered me. At the same time, it seemed fitting, like the Order wanted me to go to Boston. I had to let him know that I'd remembered. I still hadn't completely decided as I got into my truck and drove down to the library to speak with the head librarian, Mrs. Pierce. She had been out the day I'd gotten Kevin's card, but I figured she might know more pertaining to the governor's decision.

I walked over to her office in the back, discouraged when I saw the notice on the door, stating she was not well and would have a substitute for now. Well that was just wonderful. I peered in through the window on the door into her clean office, immediately spotting the black folder on top of the desk. It stood out like a beacon among the small stacks of papers surrounding it. I remembered her using that folder before for the governor's decisions. She had to have a record on file because he thought it was fitting for all the workers to know of any drastic changes. Mrs. Pierce always put the most recent things into the folder, then put them on file later on. Luckily for me, I knew those were in the bottom drawer of her filing cabinet in the back.

I knew what I had to do tonight.

                                *                           *                          *
At 11:00, I drove back to the library and headed for Mrs. Pierce's office. I took a hairpin out and picked the lock on the second try and headed to the desk to get the folder. Tucking it under my shirt, I made a split-second decision to double check the files in the drawer. I found all old news, nothing stood out and the most recent document was that of a speech made three years ago. I put the file back and closed the drawer, turning to go out. My eyes skimmed the room, but it didn't matter as I felt a hand clamp over my mouth and was forced out the door.

"Say nothing and we may consider letting you live" said a raspy voice in my ear

I tried fighting to the best of my ability, but it was to no avail. I was released and saw my captor had brought me into the woods. I saw only the black hooded person, seeing it was an Order recruit. Without warning, I tried to fight him and was shoved backward forcefully until the ground slipped out from beneath me.

"Goodbye, Miss Madison." said the figure

I tried to get a sense of where I was. I still felt the folder beneath my shirt. The only thing I saw were jagged roots. And dirt, accompanied with the strong scent of cold earth.

I knew where I was now. I was being left to die.

I was in a pit.




© 2013 Alisha Heistand


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on January 15, 2013
Last Updated on May 9, 2013


Author

Alisha Heistand
Alisha Heistand

RI



About
I'm kinda like the quiet one nobody talks to except for once in a while...I guess. Or at least, I used to be So far in my 19 years of life, I've had 5 near-death experiences. I've made many frie.. more..

Writing
Silk Silk

A Poem by Alisha Heistand