Dreams or Nightmares?

Dreams or Nightmares?

A Chapter by Alisha Heistand

I woke up in the field that Cassidy had shown me. Only it wasn't right; everything just felt...off. I found myself standing up and as I turned, I saw what was so wrong. 
The factory was towering over me.
It was every innovator's dream.
It was also my worst nightmare.
I walked the perimeter of the factory. In his attempt to better his reputation, it seemed the governor was talking the glory for everyone's work. But the field...it looked awful. I noticed immediately that the trees that surrounded the field had been reduced to half, just to make room for the side offices and parking lots. There was almost no more natural land left. Suddenly, I saw two black SUV's pull into the parking lot that was home to the main building. The men who opened their doors were all the evidence I needed. Despite the fact I knew the Order had come, I shrank back into the shadows, wanting this to play out first. Sasha, Jade and Jasmine stepped out of the first SUV. Wait, what? Then who was in the other one?
Oh, fantastic. 
Hello, Governor.
I had my answer, not liking it one bit. 
He stepped out with the smile of an utter fool; his efforts to look composed weren't bad, but I saw right through him. He was scared out of his wits, maybe even a little intimidated by the Order. Four men gathered around the three and the governor's composure faltered for a moment, then passed back to his false confidence. 

"So, how do you ladies like the looks of it? Isn't it marvelous?" He asked

A look of sheer disgust crossed Sasha's face, which she quickly masked by using a fake smile. The governor was clueless.

"Well, it certainly looks like it can do what it's created for. Shall we go inside?" She asked with false interest.

"Oh, um...well.." He stammered
Sasha raised an eyebrow while Jade and Jasmine shared an amused look.
"The workers aren't quite finished with the interior, but it should be done within two weeks." the governor said nervously

It was so odd how a man in control (or so he portrayed) could be intimidated by the Order. My gaze on the scene shifted to the two men still beside the three girls. 

Wait, what? Two? What happened to-
My thoughts were cut off as I went down from the blow to the back of my head.


                                        *                *               *
I woke up in a cold sweat, heart beating fast. I took in my surroundings, seeing that I was still in the pit. I felt the folder shift under my shirt as I got to my feet slowly. I had to find a way out of here. I had to see if what I'd just seen had been a nightmare or a reality. There were only roots and the cold earth beneath me. 
I figured that the Order had to have directed the troops to dig this pit relatively quickly. That meant that the roots protruding from the sides could still be very strong.
Strong enough to climb, or try to at least.
I hitched my leg up and grabbed hold of a root, trying to hoist myself up. It worked, so that meant the roots were strong. 
I may actually get out of here.
I dug my heels into the wall of the pit and reached up to grab another root.
Only to be yanked out of the pit by a very strong hand.
I was thrown to the ground, wanting to know who had inadvertently helped me out. I tried to keep the folder hidden, which was still cool and flat beneath my shirt. I got to my feet, making sure I was far enough from the pit so I wouldn't be shoved in again. I looked up to see who had pulled me out. 
And suddenly I couldn't look away from those eyes.
Crystal blue. 
It was James.                                                                                                                                                                                                                


© 2013 Alisha Heistand


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
1 Review
Added on January 15, 2013
Last Updated on June 24, 2013


Author

Alisha Heistand
Alisha Heistand

RI



About
I'm kinda like the quiet one nobody talks to except for once in a while...I guess. Or at least, I used to be So far in my 19 years of life, I've had 5 near-death experiences. I've made many frie.. more..

Writing
Silk Silk

A Poem by Alisha Heistand