A report on Dyslexia

A report on Dyslexia

A Chapter by Ashley.M.E
"

Just a school report, still waiting for the grade, but as a dyslexic, I thought people would like to know about the most common learning disability in the world.

"

Dyslexia, a Genetic Disorder Research

By: Ashley Eddy

            Dyslexia is a very common thing that many people deal with. Though not many know a lot about it other then that it is mostly said to be a learning disorder, it does not just affect learning, but has to do with the brain as a whole. Dyslexia is in some ways genetic and although not the most popular study or very known many cases of dyslexia are linked to being a genetic disorder. Many things come into play when dealing with Dyslexia and the research on it.

            Since dyslexia, though known for many years is a newly “generally accepted definition,” (http://dyslexia.mtsu.edu/about/faq.html), An estimated 15% says one website, well others say 1/5 people, 20% have this type of disorder. It is in any case the most common form of learning disability and most noticeable in boys, though there is no link to it being gender cohesive. Many cases of Dyslexia are not caught, so most people who have the learning disability are never helped, and so the number of people dealing with it can be much higher then expected. Though from what they do know, most of the cases of people suffering with Dyslexia quit a few have ADD, an attention disorder. It is said found that 30% people found with dyslexia of them have been said to have ADD. “Recent research indicates that more than half of people incarcerated suffer from undiagnosed or inadequately addressed dyslexia and other learning disabilities,” (http://dyslexia.mtsu.edu/about/faq.html).

            The only risk factors with Dyslexia are usually learning related, such as writing words backwards. People with Dyslexia have a hard time recognizing sounds, with letters, with words and of course with an over all language. Most Dyslexic are said to be only able to interoperate things if they are 3d, and have a hard time following words and figures that are only 2d, which makes reading, writing and basic mathematics more of a challenge. Most people write words backwards, such as the common “b, d, p, 9 and 6” which are very similar but the only difference is in the turn or a slight bend in the shape. A dyslexic’s brain seems to have trouble and sometimes will mix the letters, or even words, without realizing it. The basic problem with finding dyslexia is most young children who are learning how to read or write have these mix up early in their lives, so must people with dyslexia are not caught tell later on in life where the problem is hard to fix because the mind has already been set in seeing things in a certain way.

            Although there is help such as speech therapy Dyslexia is not able to be cured and people with is just have to deal with it. There are many people who have dyslexia that are very successful, so although a challenge it is able to be over come with time and effort. Moat of the people who do not have help well suffer from frustration, decreased self-esteem along with making it hard to maintain a job.

There are many factors that make a person dyslexia, since it is located in the brain, some people inherit the disorder, well others get it from brain trauma, do to this there are many variations of Dyslexia, in fact three different disorders. These would be autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive, or multifactoral inheritance. They also said to affect the Chromosomes 1,6, and 15, but are mostly said to affect Chromosomes 6 and Chromosome 15 do to resent studies.

Here is a graph from (http://www.macalester.edu/psychology/whathap/ubnrp/dyslexia/genes.html) that shows all the research done over the years on Dyslexia.

 

Name

Study Area

Specifics

Findings

DeFries, Olson

Family

Twins-id./frat. Cot.

73% id. Cot. Herit.

47% frat. Cot. Herit.

DeFries, Alarcon

Family

Twins-id/frat

68% id. Cot. Herit.

38% frat. Cot. Herit.

Rabin, Feldman

Family

Sib. pair

QTL C15, C1

Froster, Schulte-Korne

Family

Sib. pair

QTL C1+2

Hallgren (in DeFries)

Linkage

Mendelian

Autosomal dom.

Finucci

Linkage

Modes of transmit homog. or heterog.

autosomal rec. or dom. multifactoral

Stevenson

linkage

modes of transmit homog. or heterog.

autosomal dom. or QTL C15

Pennington

linkage

Mendelian

autosomal dom. 20%

Bisgaard

linkage

heterog.

QTL C15->homog.>aut. dom.

Smith

linkage

heterog.

QTL C6

Olson (with DeFries)

behavioral

coding deficits

47% twins phonological

28% twins orthographic

Plomin, McClearn

behavioral

segmental language

54% twins phonological

28% twins orthographic

Gayan, Cardon

behavioral

QTL and coding deficits

QTL C6+phonological family

 __________________________________________________________

id: identical

frat: fraternal

cot: cotwins

herit: heritability

sib: sibling

dom: dominant

rec: recessive

homog: homogenous

heterog: heterogenous

___________________________________________________________

            Symptoms of dyslexia very, most are learning related such as bad handwriting, to mixing up letters and words. Most symptoms are common in young children, so most people with dyslexia are not diagnosed until an older age. Most dyslexic deals with emotional problems that go with people who cannot understand. Since dyslexic people appear intelligent, but have a hard time doing simplest tasks, it is usually mistaken for not trying hard, which makes it to where many do not care to try at all. It is common for Dyslexics to get frustrated at the slightest mistake, do to seeming to always miss the simplest tasks. Many seem social awkward or have issues reading body language as well as written. There are also oral language frustrations, to being unable to choose the right words to stuttering or completely pausing before answering simple questions. There is also studies that say dyslexics have issues with ordering, this could also make it harder for a dyslexic to learn from their mistakes, because they do not see the full force of what has occurred, with the way a dyslexic mine works, that cannot seem to keep facts, or stories straight, which makes them appear to be lying.

Other then looking out for struggling to understand school work, the only signs are basically the symptoms, bad handwriting, spelling, grammar, that seems to not be getting that much better at time goes. If your child is having problems picking out words, or just having basic problems learning all together go to the teacher, or school councilor maybe able to offer advise for Dyslexia and other tests that can tell if it is something such as a learning disorder that is holding your child back.

            Not everything about dyslexia is bad, they seem intelligent and although have issues remembering things that others would find easy, they can usually do tasks beyond their peers. They are milti- dimensional thinkers and take less time to process such things as an average person. They seem more creative, curious and intuitive then usual. They are very in touch with the environment and work very well are real world tasks, this is why homework seems to difficult, it doesn’t appear “real.” When a dyslexic is able to learn and process such things, they are able to do the task without thinking. This is why in some cases, dyslexia is considered a gift.

            Still no matter how you view Dyslexia, it cannot be cured and is can very well be an affect of a genetic disorder.  

 

 



© 2011 Ashley.M.E


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is very informative. I get tired of society treating people who are a little different as a burden and labeling them...instead of taking time to consider what they have to offer society. Whenever a person is considered different than the "norm"...they are always strong in a unique place where people are "normally" weak.

Honestly, I have had a problem with a word my entire life: "People".
No matter if it's people or poeple, it always seems to look correct.
I still cant imagine how tough it would be to communicate if I had
the same issue with many words.

Being a writer with this issue is brave. Don't let it slow you down.
I dont care much about grammar anyways..I usually focus on how
the writer communicates their thoughts...and you do it well.


Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Sorry about the late review..
Thanks for the information. I think it's good for people to know about this kind of thing before they even start to judge people. It's a bold thing to put out to the public and I thank you for that. Very well written as well.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well you obvioulsy have the creative mind. When are you going to publish one of your books?

Posted 12 Years Ago


As a person, who was identified as being dyslexia, when I was 13, I know these frustrations, all too well. An interesting point, you should have included, is that dyslexia is broad heading for about 1 300 disorders. Here, in Ontario, it comes down to the willingness of the local board of education, to pay for the expensive testing required.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dyslexia can effect a life. But many with dyslexia have a great life. Must work harder. I told my children. Most successful people are the people with hunger for success. Nothing worthwhile in a life is easy. Thank you for the information. I have known many successful people with dyslexia. They study and work very hard to become great people. A outstanding informational blog.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

thnx for giving this information...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a nice report Ashley. My wife has dyslexia too. She graduated college a couple months ago with a elementary ed/reading concentration. It is something that can be overcome. Hope you are doing well:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is very informative. I get tired of society treating people who are a little different as a burden and labeling them...instead of taking time to consider what they have to offer society. Whenever a person is considered different than the "norm"...they are always strong in a unique place where people are "normally" weak.

Honestly, I have had a problem with a word my entire life: "People".
No matter if it's people or poeple, it always seems to look correct.
I still cant imagine how tough it would be to communicate if I had
the same issue with many words.

Being a writer with this issue is brave. Don't let it slow you down.
I dont care much about grammar anyways..I usually focus on how
the writer communicates their thoughts...and you do it well.


Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

780 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 25, 2011
Last Updated on February 27, 2011


Author

Ashley.M.E
Ashley.M.E

OH



Writing
A shell A shell

A Poem by Ashley.M.E


Page One Page One

A Chapter by Ashley.M.E


Page Two Page Two

A Chapter by Ashley.M.E



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..