Chapter 13-2

Chapter 13-2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 13-2


It was a celebration to remember alright as the dinner bell chimed, someone yelled: “COMEN AND 'GIT' IT!” Everyone piled to the tables on both sides of the room. Roast Beef tender as you like it, mustard greens, mash potatoes and gravy, assorted breads hot and fresh with warm apple butter. “MMMM,” “MMMMM” it was a feast to be sure as everyone piled their plates high. Knowing that Aunty M would make them eat more they took the liberty of piling it on themselves as they came back to the table.


She smiled and nodded her approval. Ma's eyes nearly fell right out of her head seeing their plates, but didn't say a word as she watched them eat every last bite including desert. As they were finishing up the new Sheriff stood up to the podium banging the gavel to get everyone's attention towards him; which wasn't hard considering the kitenge he was wearing. It was defiantly an eye stopper it could blind birds in mid-flight.


He unfolds piece paper in front of him clearing his throat. “First of all we like to welcome home my college and friend Sheriff Downing and his boy's and thank them for all this lumber and more by saying “Howdy!” and “TIMBER!” as everyone laughs. “Second of all, we have some new business to take care of now that their back,” as he looks at the boys at the table.


“I have been informed that our town is need of mail carriers and newsboys for our newspaper the Downing Pride Gazette. The names that have been chosen are Frank, Mark, Peter, Will, Robert, and EJ starting tomorrow. When you get out of school, of course, wait today's Friday well then see you, boys, first thing in the morning,” and goes on about his business of the day.  The boys nearly choked on the words as someone slapped them on the back. “Mail carrier's, Newsboys,” Pa whispering, “don't sweat the small stuff boys,” as three aunts and Grandma beaming like chaser cats.


It has been a long day for all of them and was taking its toll as they all began to yawns. Pa and Ma lead them all back home to their little cottage. Pa and the uncles caring the three little boys against their shoulders sleepily with Ma right behind them so she could tuck them all into bed. Ma draws the curtains so the boys and girls could change for bed. It wasn't much, but they didn't mind as they all climbed into their beds. Richard above EJ in his bunk bed Will and Robert in theirs and three little one all were sharing one bed. His two sisters on the other side of the curtain in another bed, Ma, Pa was just across the hall. What more could a family ask for to be under one roof, safe and snug and tucked in by their Ma?


All is silent as the soft rain pitter patters against the window glass. Lightning flashes against the sky. EJ tossing in his bunk below screams as he clenches his heart. The boys jump out of their beds, the girls dashing in from the other side, Ma and Pa racing to his bedside. EJ face turns pales his eyes open with dark crystals.  Strange words as a strangle whisper upon his lips. “Blood moon rises, Nassau Visas tronto” Night of the shadow come forth, the night of the dead I call upon you,” EJ screams as the cold sweat pours down his face. “ Rawna Vena clineas”  The Darkness I call upon you, death rides the sky once more,”  EJ screams out in pain his eyes turn towards the window calls out. “Master I hear you.”


Everyone looks towards the window seeing the shape of a man with red glowing eyes. Pa dashes outside around to the window finding him gone as he dissipates into the night. Pa rushes back inside EJ’s eyes are clear as he shakes in Ma’s arms crying with fear. Pa looks down around his bed, a small black knife dipped in his son EJ’s own blood. Pa carefully picks up the knife looks at and then at Ma and the boys. Ma trying to calm EJ in her arms rocks him back to sleep. “Shush now it alright,” shaking a little as she wraps EJ’s wound from the knife where someone had sliced the palm of his hand opened.


Robert arrives back with Doc and Aunty M; Pa shows her the knife as she gasps looking towards the window. Aunty M quickly grabbed Wayne by the arm as he tries to explain what happened holding the knife in his hands. Doc came over to the table where Wayne stood looking at the window where just moments ago a figure was stood now gone, “I think he’ll be alright now,” Doc replied. Martha placed the covers over his shoulders. EJ now sound asleep after drink docs special sleeping tonic. “Thanks, Doc,” Pa hands shaking a little as he shakes Doc hand as he thanks him for coming so quickly.


“Strange?” Doc said looking towards the window.

 

“Yep, I’ll inform Sheriff Whitmore and the Mayor,” Doc replied.


“Thanks, Doc,” Wayne replied as he closed the thick wooden door and swing down the latch noticing long scratch marks like claw marks on the door.


“Alright, children back too bed.” Ma telling the children with a shaky voice as she gazes quickly at the window meeting Wayne’s as her eyes rested upon him.


“Yes Ma,” The children replied.


Pa whispers in the boy’s ear, “Yes Pa, Yes sir.” Richard taking the first watch as he sits next to EJ on the bed nods to Robert and Will as they climb back into their bunk beds.


Ma, Pa and Aunty M went into the next room to talk, Aunty M staring at the strange knife. “Wayne,” we are going to have to watch him closely, something’s afoot.”


“Do have any idea what Aunty M or who or what?” Wayne asked.


“No, not a clue.  I know one thing” Aunty M replied, “looking at this here knife, it’s not from around these parts. The best thing we can do for him now is carry on, hoping we can head it off whatever it is.” Aunty M said taking the knife wrapping it up. “I’ll take care of this, you just keep a close eye on him.”


Aunty M knew more then she was letting on as she left the house and contacted Derrick by drawing a symbol in the dirt known as shadow wing of light as it the symbol glowed and transformed into a bird after speaking Kala-noss. She handed the bird the note which it took in its beak and flew to its destination as it blinked out of sight and became nothing but bright stars that seemed to swirl in the air and just like that bird was gone.


She only had to wait a few minutes before Derrick appeared out of nowhere scaring the hell right out of her. She quickly explained what had taken place moments ago as she handed over the knife to him. He gasped, as his hands shook wrapping the knife in white cloth and placed it inside a small brown chest as it glowed sealing it shut. He said "I will send someone to watch over the boy and Downings. Stay close and don’t let him or them out of your sight until we can determine what the knife is used for.” She blinked and just like that he was gone.



* * *

 


Coming of the dawn was silent without Mr. Rooster crowing even thou he was crowing in the distance he could not be heard, no bells, no whistle to jar them out of bed instead the children were awakened by a warm motherly kiss and a nudge, “good morning son, good morning daughters breakfast will be ready soon.


“Thanks, Ma, Thanks Ma’am” as the boys dress and get ready for the day. Yawning and stretching they knock first before going into the bathroom to wash up. 

Their sisters thank them with a kiss on their cheek telling them, “its all yours boys. There's plenty of clean towels and soap over by the sink.” They all hurried to get cleaned up after all six of them for one tiny bathroom. Richard and Robert could see they were going to half to make a schedule for all them for use of the bathroom, laughing. Of course theirs always the creek and the swimming hole, but soon it will be too cold for that.


They quickly went down to breakfast joined everyone in the living room where Ma and Pa pulled out two tables from the corners put them together and put a table cloth over them, they all helped set the table. It was crowded, but they didn’t mind as they were all together. Elbow to elbow side by side, what more could a family ask for?


The boys each told them all about their adventures on the trip as they laughed. Thinking about how Will and Robert falling off logs and Pa, Richard climbing trees. Ma looking over at EJ, wondering the mischief they got him into. Smiling and laughing because not one hair of his head as promised wasn't hurt, when hearing about him floating on his little log and driving a wagon around the lumber yard.


They busted a gut when they told them about the sheep ranch when boys tried to lasso a pig for dinner. Ma was looking right at Pa with those cold eyes. Then looked at over at EJ as he replied, “I roped them instead Ma,” as she cracked a smile than laughed at the thought. Then looking her boys they nodded, “it was true Ma.”


That made Ma everyone laugh even harder, “Well than it sounds like you all had a good time,” smiling “and I'm glad,” she said “Now then I believe,” hearing a knock at the door. Pa gets up from the table went to the door.


“Hello, Sheriff Whitmore how can I help you?” Giving him a wink and looking over at his two boys and their friend Peter. “Oh that's right come in we were just finishing up. Robert, Will, and EJ turn around seeing them.


“You’re joking right?” They all asked.


“Nope,” as they shake their heads, “Good morning Martha, ladies I believe me and these three boys have some work to do today. They'll be around later to collect their things since they will be all staying together for a while. If you don't mind Martha for the next two weeks there going become roommates. Not to worry dear the cottage they will be in is just right next door to yours and mine, so they won't be far. Think of it as camping out except in a house which they will have to clean and cook their meals every day, each one,” Sheriff Whitmore replied staring down at the 6 boy's, “supervised of course. Don't want them to starve or burn down the place, now do we?”  He replied with a small chuckle that made his beads around his neck rattle.


Wayne pulls Sheriff Whitmore aside whispers in his ear, “Do you think this a good idea right now considering,” as they both look over at EJ.


Sheriff nods back, “I’ve taken care of it, Wayne,” whispering back, nods to the boys around the area of the cottage as they nod back.


The boys hang their heads and follow Sheriff Whitmore out the door to work. Sheriff Whitmore sighs and laughs putting his arms around the boys laughing. As they head towards the News Paper and the Post Office. “Look boy's you can either hate the job or love it, but I think you are going to love it and at the same time learn something from it. Plus make little money on the side.”


The boy's face turns towards him, “Oh I see” as he laughs, “that must have slipped my mind,” smiling. “You each will get paid 20 dollars a week,” that made them smile and their eyes light up. “10 dollars for working for the News Paper and 10 dollars plus tips for the Post Office when there’s is a telegram or packet or package that needs to be rushed across town. Do you think you boys can do that?” He asked.


“Yes sir,” they all replied.


Sheriff laughs, “I thoughts so, alright boys let’s go inside meet your boss of the Downing Pride Gazette.”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 18, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep