Chapter 19-2

Chapter 19-2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 19-2


Wayne and the boys continued to work on the house with the group of men, hanging sheet-rock then headed out to the barn to work on some projects of their own. As Wayne looked back at the nearly completed house he laughs and puts his arm around Richard. “Steve was right son, we will be in this house before spring and your mother thinks Thanksgiving,” he said patting him on the back. Taking out the list of things they need for the house to build; he rubs his chin. “Alright, boys,” rubbing his hands together, “let’s get to work.”


Yes Pa, yes sir,” they replied as they eagerly waited for instruction from him.


“Robert you work on the chairs, EJ will sand them down, hand them off too Richard to stain and dry. Will, you’ll help me with the table for Ma for a while.” As they started EJ looked confused and waits a moment before asking, 


“Pa?”


“Yes EJ?”


“Can you show me how? All I know how to do sand blocks of wood,” as he shrugged his shoulders in dismay. Pa laughed realizing EJ was right, taking his little hands and some sandpaper and stick of wood. “Remember when sanding the blocks of wood with the sandpaper you were sanding them with the grain?” He asked.


Yes Pa I remember,” he replied.


“Well the only difference is,” taking a piece of sandpaper, “the block of wood is a chair and the grain is much bigger,” as he shows him and with a fathers love. EJ understood and his Pa smiled as he worked his little hands with the sandpaper on the chair. With Pa watching him closely, he began to feel more confident in his task, Pa placed a hand on his shoulder with a smile and a nod before leaving him to his work on the table with Will.


As they worked Pa turned to his boys “Boys I was thinking we should go to Salt Lake City this weekend since you have no school on Friday and get the appliances we need for the house. Before Richard returns home,” he said. Who was not exactly thrilled about the idea about going home at all?


Richard slowly nods his head and sighs, hating the idea of going home. Pa pats him on the back telling him things will work out, “but first we need to finish what we started before we went to the cotton field to raise some funds for the appliances,” he replied. Pa looks at his little time peace hanging from his pocket noting the time; calls it quits for the day or their Ma will kill them all. After all, it was still a school night laughing, “and I know Ma she will have supper ready,” he said.


They all headed back to the cottage in dirty and stained covered clothes and hands. Trying to sneak into the house down the hall, but they didn't make it to far not even to the door. She was waiting for them alright sitting in a chair, with arms crossed over her chest and box sitting right beside her. Giving them each a hard cold stare trying very hard not to laugh at the sight of them as she points to the box then gives them a swift kick down the hall.


“Dinner will be ready in 1 hour boys,” picking up the box filthy clothes shaking her head smiling watching them go. Pa laughed watching the boys go down the hall as Ma hands him the box and points him down the hall with a kiss on the cheek and swift kick for him.“ And you to Mr. Now scoot,” she said handing him a towel as he put it over his shoulder down the hall he went.


After dinner and some light conversation before bed, Pa hands the girls each a pad and pencil, with a catalog, “as you ladies know the house is nearly finished so the boys and I are planning to go to Salt Lake City this weekend before Richard leaves for home to help pick things out for the house.”

Richard again sighs as Julie and Anna shocked and saddens to see him go and Martha still thinking and finding a way for him to stay here just a bit longer, as she looked at Richard disappointed face. Martha could not help but feel sorry for him and at the same time stop worrying about that feeling that something is wrong and something was coming when she looked down the road. Now Richard was leaving, “there's got be something she can do to prevent this from happening. Not just for Wayne, but for her and Danny and possible EJ… could he help? Would he help? If he stayed,” she asked herself.


“Wayne dear,” Ma asked thumbing through the catalog, “would it be all right if we all go to Salt Lake City with you boys and helped pick out some of the appliances and we can all do some shopping for the house?” As she bats her eyes and turns on her womanly charms curling up into his arms, the girls begging as well. Wayne could never resist his wife or his daughters as he leans over and kissed her on the cheek then rolled his eyes and laughs.


“Alright you can come,” the girls giving Pa a hug and kiss on the cheek as Ma ran to the room, grabbing more catalogs for all them to look at even for the boys as they rummage through pages of wish books, they would like to see in their new house. After a while the little ones became tired and could barely keep their eyes open and so were they as it was a school night. Pa, Ma sends the kids to bed.


Once again they are alone as they take a walk down the road towards the farm to their favorite spot, taking each other by the hand, walking outside between their cottage and the farm. Wayne placed a shawl over Martha's shoulders, holding her tight against him as they both looked at the moon. Talking of this and that like lovers do. Wayne takes Martha hand in his hold in his lap with his arm around her leaning against her. They watched the stars and bright light autumn moon dance against the sky.


After while they headed back to their cottage to tuck the children in before turning in themselves; the children were fast asleep dreaming of their wishes and the farm as Robert mumbles in his sleep as he puts Richard hand back into bed again. Ma puts a blanket over the three boys with a kiss on their heads. Ma and Pa close the door to each of the children rooms wishing them all goodnight with a kiss on the cheek before turning in themselves. After thanking each other like they do every night before they fall asleep into each other's arm…



* * *

 


Not far from up the road is another couple; one sleeping on a couch and other sleeping in a bed down the hall. As Doctor Morgan peers through the window rubbing his little-crooked chin. “Yes my plan is working splendidly,” he said seeing Jim on the couch punching his pillow. “I think it's about time I turned up the heat a bit,” he replied as he dissipates back into the shadows. “What I need now is a little diversion,” taking his staff and whispered a silent spell around the house as the wind begins to blow cold around the house it shivered the very bones of any who dare pass by. “Let see who else is in town,” he said as the spell completes itself as he glides along in shadow form. “Well, well isn't that my old friend... Hmmm, that's should work.” Rubbing his crooked chin and laughing that makes a bird fall off his perch as he required the price and paid in full of his fellow friend as he transferred acclaimed soul as they screamed.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
Added on February 15, 2019
Last Updated on January 19, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep