Chapter 18

Chapter 18

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 18


When the boys arrived at the airport it was huge and noisy. Grandma and aunts find a baggage handler for all the suitcases and give everyone a hug and pat on the back and kiss on the cheek. Of course Donna, Peggy preferred staying in the car wanted nothing to do with them, they could care less, and they could all fly off the planet for all they are concerned.


Wayne and Kollie gave Richard a firm handshake and a pat on the back thanked him for all his help. With tears all in their eye they said goodbye for now and see them all on Friday as they tried to laugh as a big jet flew right over their heads they could barely hear each other and were amazed how big it was as it landed. Looking at the clock they needed to go as the group all said their goodbyes and checked into the airport finding the plane terminal for 
Phoenix Arizona.


Pa picking up their tickets carrying the three little boys on their shoulders. Boarding the plane they saw other planes taking off and other ones landing. There were big ones and small ones of all colors and sizes. Everyone eyes towards the window on the plane watching the other planes until it was their turn as they took off. Grandma and Richard on the ground waved to them as they left the airport, as she dabs her eye when she waves. “Well girls it’s just us,’ and loads them back in the car and they all headed back to New Downing with Richard behind him in his car.


The boys looked out the window watching the city below them disappear into nothingness, now are high in the sky where the clouds are floating beneath them. When things settle down to low crawl the seat belt sign was turned off so they could move around a bit on the plane. The aunts took the boys up to see the cockpit too meet the pilots and let them explore the plane a bit, so they could stretch their legs for a while. Then let them wear themselves out as they fell asleep with soft lull of the engine sound. Within an hour or so they were landing and the seat belt sign was turned back on. As the boys looked out the windows they could see the cities below them and small towns in the distance coming closer and closer.


Then they land at a new airport with the screeching halt of the tires, slowing the plane down and they return to the terminal of the 
Phoenix Airport. As they got off the plane there was a sign that said welcome boys to Arizona cotton field with a man holding a sign wearing a pilot's uniform. The same man that was in the cockpit as the boys laughed, “look Pa, it's the same guy?” Will said.


“Well it looks like he wants us to follow him then doesn't it,” Pa said grabbing Danny and Ted's hand and Robert taking Sam's. The boys and the group followed the man out to the vans that are waiting for them and their luggage is being packed on top they headed on down to the cotton field.


It took 10 vans to haul them all, what a group as they go on down the road. The boy's noticed a temperature change as they left the airport the climate felt like summer. Pa and the boys un-button their shirts a little and aunts waving fans to cool themselves, do to the dry heat, it seemed hotter here than at home. Even Mr. Whitmore was sweating under his cotton Kitenge his sons were wishing they were wearing theirs instead of these farm clothes at the moment.


The boys looked down at the cool water running down below staring at the river. The boy's wishing they could stop and take a dip as the van drove over the bridge. Soon they reached the cotton fields in 
Salina Arizona, pulling up into the lot with everyone else. Aunty M comes out of the house with the ladies to welcome the group. Help showing them to their rooms so they can all freshen up before lunch under the canopy.


Then it happens as Pa and the boys and Kollie and his four boys step out of the van. Martha and the girls nearly in tears seeing them all here, all them including their aunts rush right over. Then Martha gasped at the sight of Danny and his arm looks at Wayne with tears in her eyes with no words to explain. He just nods his head looking down at Danny as she wept as she comes closer.


She picks Danny up and takes him straight into the house grabbing Doctor Whitmore by his sleeve, after giving Danny a kiss and hug. EJ watched them go as she went into the house with his brother nearly busting a gut on how Ma fusses over everyone and sighs. It was just another reason why they love her so. Pa and the boys unload the suitcase takes them to their rooms as shown. As 
Wayne gives Aunty M details what's been going on down at New Downing and with Danny which in turn made her very mad. Thinking he was safe from harm all this time.


Martha was fussing over Danny, the boys were changing into cooler clothing as they themselves wasted no time in putting on their Kitenge, “ahhh that's better,” putting their sandals by the front door. Martha found Danny's suitcase got him cleaned up and after checking him over from head to toe giving him another kiss and a hug set him down to go play with the rest of the boys laughing to herself as she sighed.


Wayne visits with his girls for a while in the kitchen as he waited for Martha to come down. “There you are Wayne,” she said as Martha puts her hands on her hips giving him a very stern look. Wayne carefully glides his way over plants a kiss on her right then a there lifts her up into his arms, as he stroked her soft brown hair. “Oh, how I missed you dearly,” as he sighs and kisses her one more time. “Let’s go for walk,” Wayne said taking Martha by the hand and go out to see the cotton field. “Martha as we guessed they would,” shaking his head, “it was a matter of time, he escaped this one with only sprained arm and wrist and few bruises,” as she nods. “We have custody of him for the next six months why they seek medical help.”


“And if they don't Wayne then what?”


“They could go to jail. For now, they have been issued a citation and the girls or with their grandmother and Richard in New Downing.” Wayne said as he fills her in about all that has happen the reason they are here watching Rena and the boys as she hugs Peter, “and that we need you home dear frankly. So we thought we come to get you at the same time see if we could help. With the cotton field, but we have to be back on Friday due to the funeral and those papers,”
Wayne said pointing to Whitmore's, “and the school”


The dinner bell rings as the girls put everything on the table for lunch.

Everyone gathers around the tables for the luncheon. Wild turkey, ham sandwiches and all types of cold salads and pies, cakes, Ice cold lemonade. Aunty M stands up giving the toast. “I like to give you all a big welcome to this here cotton farm and thank you for your  help and willingness come down this far.” As she mops her face with a little laugh at the group and the boys in the coolest clothes they can find. “As you know winter is just setting in down in New Downing, but not down here, summer is year round,” she said as she laughed.


“My son Reggie and his wife will be running the place and will fill you in on the details.” Aunty M pulls out the letter and reads it. “The transfer of ownership of the cotton field goes to Martha, Julie, and Anna with Rena being a partner as well.” It nearly floored Wayne and Kollie, but the ladies considering they heard it all before and knew it at all ahead of time. It was no shock as they watched their husband faces go into shock especially when they found out the pilot was her son.


After the pleasantry and introduction were made, lunch went on and everyone got to know each other. Aunts let the boys play for a while before schoolwork and then was too hot for everyone. Aunty M took them down to the river so they could all swim for a couple of hours. That night they had Arizona ho down when the air was cool with a summer like a breeze. Unlike most ho-downs except without the simple farmers because now they were Arizonians now. They dressed all little bit more fashionable with a few farmers at their side. As Reggie sets on the records they danced the night away swing their dance partner around the floor and giving her an old fashion twirl then break out with a ho down.


“Grab your partner by the hand brings her to the middle, kick those feet high in the air. Bend those knees just a little.  Round the circle like a Caracalla, back to the middle one and all. Swing to left then to right.  Trade them for someone else wife, glide them down the middle.”


After dinner was served and the last record was played they all retired to bed for a day's work was just about to begin on the field. Ma's with Pa's and the boys each sharing a room down the hall and girl's all tucked in for the night. It was good again to have everyone together again. It just felt right as Ma falls asleep next to Pa in his arms.

As the sun peeks hazily through windows on the cotton farm, a soft warm morning breeze entered the room off the river. The house beings to stir as the breakfast bell is sounded and the men and boys plod their way down the stairs. To the dining room with clean faces and hands before entering as Aunty M and ladies check before allowing them to sit at their table.


Sarah in the kitchen with the baby preparing the lunches for the kids as they get ready for school, Reggie pulled the van up in front to take them all and their mothers to register them, counting them on the list as they read their name by name as they entered the van. Tim, John, 
Devon, Nathan, Ethan, Charlie... Martha handing each a sack lunch as they go to school. Their Pa's waving to them as they leave to go to work in the field with Aunty M for the day.


“Alright boy’s let’s get cracken,” Aunty M yells out as the van leaves pointing to the field handing them each bag with strap for their shoulder and pouch of cold water. Aunty M shows them how to pick the cotton placed into the pouch when it was filled tie up the sack so it doesn't blow away. Grab another bag start down the rows ready to go. The women kept the men refreshed with cool water or lemonade or ice tea throughout the day.


They worked hard clearing the field that day as they mopped the sweat off their faces. The boy’s job was to pick up the bags and take them to the shed. Robert and Will would load them on the wagon or should say small cart with a horse to pull it as Ma watched EJ count the bags as they load them, then he would haul them to the shed with his little cart and horse where another team would unload them.


They were sure glad that they packed their summer clothes as the sweat poured down from their bodies drenching their shirts. Aunt M told them the secret was to soak them in cold water and wear a straw hat to prevent sunburn and suns stroke until you get used to it. They soon learned she was right when Ma was putting lotion on them again go figure “Ouch! That smarts,” Trying taking the sting out of their shoulders and their backs. But at least they didn't have to wear shoes, these sandals were great and nice and cool. “I wouldn't recommend running on the ground barefoot out here either. I would know we all tried it,” as we hopped around on the hot sandy ground and also finding thorns in the sand.


After things were going smoothly Aunty M thought it was time for Martha and Rena and some of the ladies learn what they do with the cotton seeing that Reggie was back from the school. And that left the menfolk out in the field to continue on without her, leaving Reggie in charge of the field while he finds his good captions to lead the men. It was time for the boys to study again according to the aunts pulling out the schoolbooks under the canopy waving them over. With a nod of Reggie’s head someone took their places as the boys went to work on homework as they moaned and groaned, but also they too made a promise that it would be done by Monday. At least it was in the shade and as they each poured them a large glass of cold lemonade and cookies on a plate.


Martha and Rena watched Aunty M pull down a large sheet, “this is called loom and shaker over here we dump the cotton into it here and from the field and it washes it shakes the seeds out and puts into bails. Then we send it to the plant to be refined into products of oil from the seeds and cotton is pressed into sheets then re-cut into fabric or thread then we put on loom such as this.”


Placing a stool for each of them, to give you an idea of how one works. Aunty M works on loom demonstrates how to make cloth, allows them to make a roll of cloth each before taking the girls to the factory. Where they transfer the cotton and where the fabric is made. Giving them a tour of the small factory tied to this farm. Handing them the keys to the factory and introducing them to all the staff. All of them were dumbfounded as they watched how cloth was made and to find out. “I thought you said 15 percent?”  Martha responded shocked.


Aunty M laughed, “this is ladies what use would there be if you just had cotton and seed and no fabric?” The machines hummed long on the looms as the rolls of the finished product came forth went into storage. “As you now Martha cotton is white and we need all sorts of different type’s colors, this known as the dye room and print room.” She said as they go along Aunty M explains that not everything is turned to fabric like this and is stored for other uses and sold to other companies that need cotton, that's how they and we make a profit as well. Martha looked at Rena thinking about all those different kitenge's and the prints they could make and fabric in the store.


After the guided tour they went back to the cotton field for little fun at the river as they pack everyone up and all the kids for another swim by the shore spreading a picnic lunch by the beach watching the kids play in the water. They spent most of the afternoon down by the river before heading back to the cotton field as Ma watched boys get ready too studied again with the aunts teaching math, history, and music planned for the day.


EJ’s favorite was History, he hated math even thou he was good with numbers. Music, on the other hand, bothered them all except for the aunts of course as they sang around the piano in the small library. It seemed that they got the most pleasure out torturing them the most then they did.


Danny had made some new friends on the cotton farm as they run through the house chasing each other until aunt Sara made them go outside. “Alright,” she said pushing them and showing them door laughing, “its time for the baby's nap.” After the lesson, they were free for the day as they all run up the stairs to put on their kitenge to play outside with their new friends, while Pa and Reggie worked in the field. It gave Rena and Kollie her husband time to be alone to walk down by the river for the afternoon.


Finding a nice secluded spot on the beach where the water lapped against the sides from the tide. They embraced each other for a moment as time stood still just for them as they looked into each other eyes. Her eyes glistening like little bits of stardust as he looks deeply into her eyes. He held her against his chest stroking her long brown dark hair. “Oh, how I missed you my sweet darling, my dear Rena. Oh, how I missed you beside me and your loving care.”

He held her close to him gazing into her eyes. Bathing in the last moments of the sunlight before it went down over the hills, he kissed her one more time taking her breath away. Telling her how much how he loved her. They sit for awhile watching the sun sunset in each other's arms. Talking of this and that before he pulls out the letter from Peter's grandmother to read it beside him and ask. “Rena we don't have much time according to the Judge, we have until Friday because the funeral is this Sunday”


Rena looked at her husband putting her fingers to his lips to shush him. “His all ready my son dear,” and kissed him and wrapped her arms around him,” and yes dear I to would like to live on a farm,” they watched the sun go behind the hills; then started back to the farm with extra glow in their faces as they entered the house. Rena found the boys and Kollie went upstairs to get the papers for them to sign. Going into the small library for some privacy they announced the news to the boys. That night they became a family of five instead family of four instead one close friend as Peter and all them signed on the dotted line.


Wayne and Reggie were preparing for tomorrow by checking the luggage and the plane making arrangements for home as they load the supplies they needed. Checking off the list that would be mailed later, making last minute calls to friends and neighbors regarding cotton distribution and fabric resale for Martha and Rena at home.

The dinner bell rang as they all gathered under the stars under the canopy for dinner. It was a farewell feast to be sure. Steak with Barbeque ribs, corn on the cob, mash potatoes sweat peas and carrots and with all the trimmings. Aunty M stands up to give the farewell toast.


“As we say farewell to our new friends, may we keep them in our hearts.” Somewhere Aunty M sees a shadow moving from the corner of her eye as a shiver runs up down her spine. She continues on... “May our friendship here, on this cotton field bond us together and grow…” A cool breeze of a whisper behind her as the shadow moves closer... “May we work together helping each other and trust in each other…”


A figure of a man standing by a nearby tree with gleaming red eyes peering back at her as he whispers in her mind. “Margaret I finally found you, Morgan is the name and you been ignoring me and my warning.” As she continues on... trying not to shake or show it in her voice.


“May we enjoy each others company and our quarrels be small…”


Morgan comes closer among the crowd. “Maybe I didn't make myself clear,” as he tries to make someone start a fight and lunches a killing ball of lightning only to find it blocked by Derrick and Bowden’s protection spell they had placed on her and materialized in a matter of seconds. Morgan growled angrily as he noticed them as they mingled in with the crowd. Not fighting back but protecting Aunty M and the people here without their knowledge as white light created some type of bubble. No matter how hard Morgan tried to kill her or hurt the people here. He was no match for them, 


For all, they felt was a warm sweet breeze blows over the crowd the smell of flowers and two ladies suddenly appear in the crowd... helping to strengthen the protection shield. “Whispering, “don't worry dear,” as they all watch Morgan, “we got this one,” as they all disappeared into the crowd. Aunty M swallows hard looks back to where the shadows were, but they are gone as Wayne gives her a puzzled look. She continues on. “We wish them a safe journey home,” and sits down raised her glass shaking a little.


Everyone raise theirs saying “here, here” waiting for Wayne and his wife to stand.
Wayne stands and thanks them for coming and hope they like it here with a choked voice saying how much he going to miss them all, him and his wife and sits down. They ate and had a good time that night and turned in early after a few dances. The very next day as they loaded the last of the suitcases Aunty M saw them off. “Aren't' you going with us Aunty M?” Martha asked.


“No dear,” Aunty M looking over at Reggie and Sara “I'm needed here, there are few things I need to do here,” as she stares at Wayne for just a second. “Don't worry dear I'll be back in a month or two,” giving them all a hug and pat on the back, whispers to Wayne, “ Wayne watch EJ closely,” then stands back. “You see I hate winter that's all,” rubbing her joints and smiles as Wayne gives her a quick nod. “Now scoot,” as she gives Martha a swift kick towards the small plane.


Martha and girls hugging the middle of the plane until they landed in Provo with Grandma and Richard waiting to take them home, leaving behind Aunty M for now. They all drove back to New Downing sadden because they were going to miss Aunty M for now, but she'll be back in time for Thanksgiving she promised as they all arrived back home to their cottage, With a small welcome home party by the town of course. If you could call a band and everyone yelling waiting for them at the door with another feast that night at the square and more dancing. And yes they do a lot of dancing here.


The Whitmore stopped by the courthouse gave the Judge the papers that very day that way they could attend to more import maters as they put their arms around their son Peter and head over to his grandmother's farm. While Grandma took Dona and Peggy moved them right in with her and Granny so the Downing’s could have some peace. There was the matter of finishing the homework and the funeral before life could get back to normal as EJ and his brother Danny look down the road together...



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on February 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 19, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep