Chapter 10

Chapter 10

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 10


Morgan looked up from his books as his spine tingles, quickly went to the window in his study, “so they have themselves a new witch do they?” He looked towards the north of New Downing. “Lot of good that’s going to do them,” stretching his hand across the sky called forth more black riders. One of his best creations riders made of mist and earth built for speed on horseflesh of old from the pits of hell themselves.


Their eyes receded lifelessly. Hands made of shards of bone and stretched skin made of rock and mud. Morgan faces hard and cold, his voice chilled with anger. Morgan was a high wizard wanting to be king of all the worlds as he stood strong and unbending as he yelled orders, “find them.” The riders cracked their whips hard in the sky as they bent down towards New Downing.


Nathaniel, Jasmine reaching the edge of New Downing seeing the riders, Jaydan rushing down towards the street with his staff in his hand, looked into the sky as Nathaniel and Jasmine jump out of the car. People screaming everywhere as the dark clouds above them come out of nowhere as the thick hail drops from the sky the size of baseballs and lightning danced across the sky as hits windows and rooftops of homes, spreading chaos.


Wayne on the road a few paces round the bend as it flashed. The horse went out of control as they reared up and started a hard gallop down the road and down the gully through the field. Wayne trying to regain control pulling hard on the brakes, and hard on the rains as the break snaps. He jumps from the wagon for safety before the wagon flipped over busting its self up as it turned around the bend. Leaving him standing in the road as the clouds darkened around New Downing. 


Just up the road, he could see three figures standing in the middle of the road.  One raised his arms high then a loud thunder is heard as the ground shook all around while the other two held a staff high in the air twirling above them as the sky clears with a double rainbow circling the valley. A sweet scent of spring flowers filled the air as the bright sun shines down upon them. Wayne covered his eyes for he could not make out the three figures as they walked back into the shadows and then they were gone.



* * *

 


Jaydan reads the journal as he paced back and forth of his house as a small cabin built by his own two hands decorated sparsely by his new wife Lizzy two days past. “She right my friend you're needed here,” Jaydan said putting his hand on his shoulder. “More than ever as you can see. He has increased in power,” Jaydan wiped the sweat from his face, “if you weren’t here, I don’t know if I could have held him off.” Jaydan glanced outside the window seeing the town in pieces here and there, “He’s a lot more dangerous then he used to be and has a lot more followers I reckon. I had a feeling something had happened.”


Jaydan turned his head down the road towards the Downing’s farm, “I bet they're scared right out of their socks by now, it couldn’t have happened at the worst time I think. First, we tell them it’s all an act than this, how would you feel?” As they all looked towards the fields where some fields of caught fire. “No. The best thing we can do now is come clean then avoid questions as long it stays within those walls. Of course, that means just me and you that is,” Jaydan said glancing over at Jasmine, “you still have a part to play. Linda is a loose cannon and a wild card in this mess and Morgan has her nicely gift wrapped and her husband for the time being.


“All we can do there is try to better the situation, a contract binds them to him for now at least, hoping it doesn’t go on any further than that. I imagine Margaret will be waking up soon according to the vibes I been feeling. That means we better get over there soon or there will be a lot of question. Not just from her either. You miss have a date with somebody else I am afraid, no sense waiting around too long. I believe he knows we are all here by now so you best hurry and take this with you and put in a safe place.”



* * *

 


After Jaydan writes and copies the last page of the journal so the boys can stumble across it. Jasmine quickly goes underground to find Jeff in the corridors. Showing him the journal as Jasmine wiped her tears, “I have no idea if she got out alive Jeff.” Jasmine said as she paced down the old corridors chambers, “but right now Jeff just be careful who you talk to, Morgan’s spies could be everywhere and we don’t know how many they have or where they all are at, yet. And not just not the stronghold,” Jasmine wiped her eyes with the back of her sleeve.


“Your best bet is to try to talk to the Judge of Time before going near the place, but after all you are dead. You might be able to get through some how... some rules don’t apply. It’s hard to say considering it’s different for me. I never had the chance of actually being a ghost, for I never died you see.


"The mantle was just passed on like it will be passed on to my next charge, freeing me as I go through the door. So you see, everyone circumstances are different as we serve for the common good. It’s how we help others that make the difference and use our talents and time. It’s not the power that we hold, it’s just another tool used wisely that’s all, nothing more. For some it turns them evil, wanting more power as the thirst drives them for more and it never stops. Others wish they had less responsibility placed upon them, but however, we use it depends on the person inside.


“I have watched a lot of my friends turn down that path I wish not to go and found friends, loving friends who I respect over the centuries who I can count on when I need them by my side. I hope your one of those Jeff, for we could use more friends like those by our side.” Jasmine puts her arm around him walked down the corridors before returning back to New Downing picking up her car. Passed Wayne on the road, “can I give you lift son? I was just headed out to the farm needed a few things from town?”


Wayne blocked the sun out of his eyes. “I’d like that ma’am.”


“Oh please just call me Barbra, Wayne. How come your walkin? Where’s your horse?”


“The storm spooked them,” Wayne said as he looked at the sky.


“I notice the small swoller few miles back, but when I got here it was calm as noonday.


Wayne rubbed his chin looking down the road, “just need to grab a new window if you don’t mind ma’am. That little storm,” trying smile, “busted it clear out.”


“Oh please….”


As he cut her off. “I know ma’am,” giving her a strange look, “just a lot has happened around here if you wouldn’t mind. I like to keep pleasantries formal for now.”


Jasmine could see it in his eyes; Wayne was really spooked just nods opening the car door. Wayne quickly grabbed a new window from Mr. Stringum, “better order a second just in case,” he yelled back loading it in the back of the car, Jasmine and Wayne headed back to the farm.


Jaydan, Nathaniel and Doc Whitmore still there as they pulled up to the house; Wayne grabs the window taking into the house. Everyone sitting in the living room except for Aunty M, Linda in a daze as girls set the table in the kitchen for lunch. Martha looked up seeing Mrs. Jennings with Wayne… “I thought I pay a visit to check to see how the girls are making out,” setting her jacket on the hook by the door, “and how you are  all coming along Linda?” Linda afraid too answers as she gazed about the room now that more guests of family members have arrived.


Wayne sets the window down by the door and tries to smile as he walked over to Martha whispering in her ear, “everything quiet still?” Martha nods watching Mrs. Jennings work her way around the room.


Jaydan slowly, but casually whispers to her, “what are you doing here?”


“Improvising,” she said as she looked at Wayne and Linda pouring herself a cup of tea, finding a chair to sit in.  “Now then,” looking across the table, “it seems Linda, girls we have some errands to run, after all, you my dear still have a husband and these girls need to see their father for a little while at least. So I was thinking after lunch that we could go up and see how he’s doing for a bit then do a little shopping that’s a little bit more down to earth around here for working on the farm.


“You see I have feeling these boys need all the help they can get while their out searching for their brother. I am also glad to see Martha has some more help,” looking over at Grandma, Richard, and Mary. “Doc I would like to make one suggestion, make sure everyone gets a good night sleep. They are so on edge around here then please head back to town. There are some folks that need you and please find Doc Hatfield. Tell him to stop what he’s doing and help you. Son you are going to run yourself into the ground and that pour family of yours. They never get to see you anymore as it is,” taking another sip of her tea.


“I’m sure there are other Doctors around that know how to run a hospital,” Mrs. Jennings giving him a cold stare then a warm twinkle with her eye. “Oh how I rattle on, look at the time, Linda... girls,” pushing them towards the door, “we must go. I do have lots of things to do today.”


It wasn’t long before they heard a loud pounding of Aunty M screaming at the door as it flies off its hinges and slid down the hall. “Now that’s better,” shaking her head, coming down the hall then down the stairs with everyone watching her. Picking up a pot of old Joe and poured into a cup as if nothing was wrong. Pa turning to Anna, “Anna please take the little ones out to the barn quickly,” swallowing hard. Anna froze looking back at Aunty M’s hair and face.


“Come now, Wayne… there’s no need for that,” as she sits quietly on the couch crossing her legs and sipping her Joe. “Sit child!” With a warm smile as she calmly tossed her red hair back giving Jaydan and Nathaniel a cold wink. “So it looks like we have some explaining to do,” laughing as if was some sort of joke. “My question is,” as she looked around the room, “who wants to start first?” As her eyes turned golden crystal’s of amber.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

64 Views
Added on February 17, 2019
Last Updated on January 21, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep