Chapter 16-4

Chapter 16-4

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 16-4

 


“Yes, yes of course,” he said leading them to the patents. Doc grabs the charts of each person hands them to Kollie explaining the problem of each. Kollie hands them back to him looking for Nathaniel first. Pulling the curtain around them all, Lenny steps out of the room keeping guard.  Kollie removes the bandage along Nathaniel side


“It quite deep,” Rena replies. Doc watched Rena mix some strange dried root and pour something to make a paste. Placing it on the wound then covers the wound with clean cloth keeping her hand there.


Kollie nods to his family as each one places a hand on the wound repeating once out loud as family united as one “NASTOO VAERA SGRAND VENERSA” then silently whispering and repeating the words over again.


Doc watched a soft glowing light starts to form around the wound than spreads across the body then encasing it leaving a sweet fresh scent in the air. Then Kollie lifts the bandage off the wound watching it close as it nits itself back together. Nathaniel's eyes open staring back at his friends Kollie and Rena. Doc takes a couple steps back as Kollie catches him before he falls.


He’s never witnessed anything like it in his life as a Doctor. This man was headed for the grave and they brought him back again. “Doc you act like you seen a ghost” Kollie rubbing his chin watching Rena put the stuff back into her bag. Doc speechless, trying to get a grip on things. Outside where they are just heating up Lenny tries to explain to Nathaniel all that has happened down here. Looking out the windows at the crowds as fire is roaring in the street for the monster.


Doc can’t believe his ears that Betty is somehow mixed up into this and there more of them out there and he thought he had problems. “You mean she hasn’t left town?” He asked as watches his friends, the Whitmore’s and this new fella Lenny.


“Not exactly Nathaniel, Doc,” Nathaniel putting on his shirt stumping into his boots. “You might say… she had some errands to run first, but that was not on her to do list.”  Lenny replied.


Nathaniel looked around by his bed for his sword standing up, Doc pointed by the desk in the corner. “I was thinking of making a nice glass frame for it so I could remember the man that tried to save our town from those lizard beasts. But I guess you will be moving on with the rest of them.”  Doc replied with great sorrow, as he hope was once more being taken away.


Nathaniel picked up the sword and the belt wrapping it around his waist walks over lifts Docs chin up, looks him in the eye. “What on earth made ya think that Doc? I was sent here to save it for all of you. It’s my town to you know.”


Doc wiped a single tear from his eye “thanks, son.” Putting a hand on his shoulder, “don’t worry about that little secret. I may be stubborn, but I'm not fool when it comes to judging a man of his worth. You have it spades with me when I call you my friend.”


Rena kissed Doc on the cheek. “You old softy,” giving him a hug. “Now then we are here to help you… All of us, the boys know a little bit about first aid, me and Kollie can help with the harder stuff. Lenny here will keep us safe enough inside. Then we need a place where we can… should we say spend the night,” giving him a quick wink?  “We don’t have much in clothing Doc we were in a hurry to get here so if you could find something for the boys that would be fine.  Now then shall we,” as she takes his arm in hers.


Rena taking his arm down the row of beds. Kollie on one side Rena on the other, using their skills together while the boys worked with Doc, using what they learned in school in Springfield. Doc placing a new bandage over the wound smiles telling them to leave it there he’ll be by to check on it in a couple of days, knowing full well it was healed. He did not know how it was done as he watched the Whitmore family do this. He could care less, for these were his friends and his town and nothing was going to take it away from him.


Nathaniel gives Lenny and Doc a nod headed out the backdoor heads for the stables hoping to cut Jeff off at the pass, instead, he finds men with guns holding guard at the stables. Nathaniel slowly skillfully hides in the shadows peeked in the window. Tied to the poll is his old friend Jerkerka that tried to kill him, one of the Darzzee henchman leaders. As they poke him, he hissed with long fork tongue tries to claw at the ropes.


“I will kill you all and your families as they scream as I rip their hearts outs and tare them limb by limb. You shall not survive this very night when they find that I missing you mindless fools! Let me go now and your death may be quickened.”  Jerkerka replied.


Nathaniel cast a sleeping spell on the guards as they fell to the ground. Walking into the stable moving the men out of harm's way, he removed the blindfold off Jerkerka… “So, we meet again old friend,” Jerkerka replied as he watched Nathaniel pacing up down in front of him Jerkerka eyes watching with eyes burning. “You should be in the grave, yet you walk before me as a cunning child. Coming to gloat have you?”


Nathaniel smiles taking his hands and raise them in the air as a light flashed in the stable around them. Jerkerka awakens finds himself in a cage of seamless glass with little tiny air holes, sitting on pedestal two inches tall. He tries to scream as he pounded on the glass but is never heard. Nathaniel peering through the glass cage, “this is where you belong my friend, I think you’ll make a nice pet in the years to come.”


Nathaniel walked back into Doc’s offices handing some clothes for the boys and Lenny and a nice new dress for Rena. “How we doing Doc?” Nathaniel asked.


Doc looks around the room. “I think I can handle it for a while, why.”


“Good because it’s about to get real messy when they find their prize turkey has flown the coop and I need to get these boys and their mother out of here.”


Doc looked at Nathaniel's bed. “Son, you can’t go anywhere, they are expecting you to be in that bed like the rest of them.”


“He’s right my friend.” Kollie putting his hand on his shoulder, “you have to sit this one out.”


Lenny paces the floor. “He said the ‘new dawn that breaks the sky.’” Lenny smiles as his face lit up repeating the words. “That’s it!!” Nearly slapping himself silly “The New Dawn that Brakes the sky, don’t you get it. It was a clue, the room with all the stars. With all planets below under glass as it looked over the horizon, that old rascal.  Listen it was really simple. The new dawn represents a cycle of time and when it breaks the sky the new dawn also represents the moon and the stars and their setting. Now the word “new” is the final key talking about which cycle. The New Dawn meaning New moon is when you must return.” Lenny replied nearly jumping up and down.


Doc was lost completely watching this fella jump around like he had fire in his pants. But the boys understood completely. It was one of their subjects they where studying Lunar Cycle of Life by Thorn Whistledroth era first-century edition. “Meaning what in English please for us country folk?” Doc asked.


“The Whitmore’s must be back by the next lunar cycle.”


“Whatever you do, you better hurry, that crowds really stirred up,” Doc replied.


Nathaniel sighed. “Alright, Doc, I guess I better stay put for now,” closing the curtain so Doc could put a clean bandage on, Nathaniel takes his knife from his boots slices his side a bit enough to soak the bandage in his blood. “Come on Doc before I change my mind.”


“You didn’t need to do that,” Doc replies shaking his head.


“Yes, I did you know why. It would be the first thing they would notice. The wound supposed be fresh remember?”


“And I thought I was stubborn.”


“Doc just get them out of here hide them. There’s an old farmhouse up the road it uses to be the Bentley Farm twenty maybe thirty years ago, I bought the place had it change hands over the years to avoided suspicions when I need a place to hide for a while to be alone.”


“Yes, I know of it.”


“Take them there, they’ll find everything they need,” handing Doc a key to the house. “Their lives are in your hands Doc. You want help to save your town. I placing it in your hands.”


Doc grips Nathaniel's hand. “Don’t worry son. I too know what’s like to be on the run. Friends or very import as we grow old together, we keep them close because they are part of our family.  You couldn’t have chosen better friends like the Whitmore’s and the Downing’s,” he said putting the key into his pocket.


“I didn’t Doc, they chose me.”


“There’s an old saying Martha says when you come to visit her house, it may be busting at the seams there. ‘But there is always room in her house for one more.’ I saw that hanging that night when I walked in Whitmore’s house hanging from a single nail on the wall.


‘There is always room for more as we meet them at the door’ In her house. I went home that night cried because my friends were gone and I had been such a fool for not listening. Well, my friend, I’m listening now. If you say they need to be hidden then I’ll see to it they get to this farmhouse of yours.”


“Thanks, Doc.”


Kollie comes back with the boys while Rena finishes up with the nurses. Kollie peeks in through the curtain “having a good time in there?” He asked.


“Hey now,” Nathaniel replies.


Doc putting the bandage across his forehead. “That… Should do it.” Doc standing admiring his handy work. Pulling back the curtain as Lenny hurries from outside. “It’s a mess out there, people are in a rage. I’m not sure if we can get through. It’s like the whole town is upset.”


Rena turns to her husband than to Doc. “Who’s the Sheriff now since we left Doc?”


“They haven’t found one yet. The Police Chief was looking for candidates down here among your deputy’s until this broke out.”


“That means I’ am still in charge.” Doc nods. Kollie slowly walks out with Doc while leaving the boys and Rena with Lenny. Staying in the firelight walking over to the Mayor and deputy’s holding back the crowd. 


The Mayor gasps seeing Kollie with Doc not daring to blink twice. “Is that really you Kollie?” He asked.


“Yes Brad, in the flesh.”


“When did you get back into town?” He asked


“A couple of hours ago?”


The Mayor walking closer to him with Doc on the other side walking back to Doc's office, the Mayor slowly tells him what’s been going on then stops seeing his boys and his wife and half the patents have gone home. Nathaniel awake talking to a nurse as she tries to feed him. Rena calmly walks over to him gives him a peck on the cheek watches him blush. “Are you out of your freaking mind man bringing them back here?” Pointing to the streets. “It’s a mob out there and there are creatures and I mean monsters looking for you,... and I mean all of you.”


Kollie nods. “Yes, we know that.”


“Yet you bring them here why?” Brad asked as if he was out of his mind.


“Because my friend you need me, Doc needs me, this town needs me.  Now I need a wagon for me and my family so we can leave because your prize turkey back there is about to come up missing.”


“What? What do mean missing?”


“Trust me, Brad, you don’t want to know how, just think of it as pure Justus of a different kind,” Kollie watching Nathaniel in bed. “Let it blow over like yesterday's news, like that paper hanging on Doc’s wall, a collector's item. Then in the morning Doc and I will sit down have breakfast with you, see about your town. Doc if you would please we really need to go,” Kollie watching the mob outside the window.


Mayor hurries back to the deputy’s and the Police Chief whispering in their ears the Chef looks back towards Doc’s office seeing three boys a woman and three men climbing in the back of a wagon heading this way.  Loading a couple of bags, Doc taking the reign’s yelling top of his lungs “Yaw! Yaw!” bring the horses to life going down the street. Kollie yelled to Brad “NOW!!” Brad pulled on the Police Chief arm taking three deputies guarding Doc’s door. People scurrying in the street as Lenny takes his staff making a bright light bright as the sun that blinds them temporarily, moving them out their path.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
Added on February 18, 2019
Last Updated on January 22, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep