Right Place, Right Time

Right Place, Right Time

A Chapter by Minyonka

                      I made it to the city in a half hour and forced myself to walk at the speed of everyone around me. I hated having to remain so inconspicuous. It made me feel like I was moving in slow motion. I cut through the city park, still trying to think of a way to get near Mr. Kaiba. I was still aware of my surroundings, however. There was an old woman feeding birds with her grandson. Twenty feet to my right, a group of teenage girls were talking about the latest movie and straight ahead, I could see the road that went past the park.

 

I stepped past the park gates and looked around, trying to figure out exactly where I was. I heard someone's heart rate increase and turned my head in time to see a young boy freeze at the sound of screeching brakes. I ran into the road and pushed the boy forward. I held him close to my chest as I skidded on my back to the other side of the road. His heart was still racing and he was still trembling after we came to a stop. I stroked his long, black, messy hair gently, refusing to take a breath.

 

"Are you okay," I asked, my voice tender.

 

The boy looked up, his amethyst eyes wide.

 

"Y-You saved me," he whispered.

 

I smiled softly, careful not to show any of my teeth.

 

"Are you two okay," a man asked.

 

"I'm fine, what about you," I asked the boy again.

 

"I'm okay."

 

"That's good."

 

And that was the last of the air I had in my lungs. The boy got off me and stood up. I followed suit.

 

"We should bring you to a hospital," a woman in the newly formed crowd called.

 

"Really, I'm fine. I'm more worried about the boy," I insisted.

 

I had to sneak in a quick breath before I could speak.

 

"I'm okay. Thank you," the boy answered, looking up at me.

 

He appeared to be about fifteen years old.

 

"What's going on here," a male voice asked, pushing through the crowd.

 

I recognized it instantly.

 

"Seto," the boy beside me yelled and ran forward to hug the man who had come forward.

 

"Mokuba, what happened?"

 

"This woman saved the boy's life. She's a hero," the man from before answered.

 

Mr. Kaiba looked up and saw me I simply smiled and waved.

 

"Anyone would have done the same, really," I answered.

 

"But you came from practically out of nowhere," Mokuba told me.

 

At that, my smile faltered for half a second. How could he have noticed how fast I was moving? I was just at the end of the sidewalk.

 

"I don't know what you're talking about. I was right over there. I was just in the right place at the right time," I said, pointing to a spot across the road.

 

"What happened to the car," Mr. Kaiba asked.

 

"It was basically a hit and run, without the tragedy of a hit."

 

"Thank you for rescuing my brother, Miss Moreene."

 

"Like I said, anyone would have done the same."

 

"Seto, you know her," Mokuba asked.

 

Mr. Kaiba simply nodded. We were still surrounded by people and I was hoping they would leave. I had no such luck. They were all murmuring about how I'd saved Mokuba and that I should be rewarded in some way. If I could, I would have blushed.

 

"If you would like, come to my office and we can discuss this further," Mr. Kaiba said, though I was sure he was a little unwilling.

 

I nodded and followed him through the break in the crowd. As it turned out, we weren't very far from Kaiba Corp's main building. We went through the same route I had gone just hours before and ended up in Mr. Kaiba's office again. I took the same beige seat as before while Mr. Kaiba sat at his desk and Mokuba stood beside him.

 

"What do you want," Mr. Kaiba asked harshly.

 

"I don't want anything more than what I proposed before. You don't need to pay me or anything. Just let me do what I came here for," I answered simply, still being as courteous as strictly necessary.

 

"What did she ask for," Mokuba asked.

 

"If I let you do what you came here for, will you stay out of my way and keep quiet about this whole thing," Mr. Kaiba asked.

 

"I swear on my life," I answered.

 

I shook Seto Kaiba's hand and resisted the urge to smile at my faulty promise.

 

"Since we're going to be working so closely, I'm going to refer to you as 'Kaiba'," I finished, the faintest of a smile playing on my lips.



© 2008 Minyonka


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awesome write! I love it! I can imagine this as a movie or t.v. series!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 18, 2008
Last Updated on November 19, 2008


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka