Warning

Warning

A Chapter by Minyonka

The mid-December air whipped my hair around me as I walked through the snow-laden forest. I was on my way back to the city after hunting, but was taking my time. I still loved the winter scene of the woods more than I did the city. This just seemed so right. As I neared the city, I put my winter coat back on and zipped it up, so as to appear normal. The bulk of the jacket annoyed me and I wanted nothing more than to be rid of it. As soon as I was inside Kaiba Corp, I took it off. I took the elevator up to my apartment and threw the coat into the closet.

 

“Darren, I’m back,” I called as I walked through the living room.

 

My brother stepped into the room, his mouth a hard line.

 

“There’s going to be more problems,” he told me.

 

“How soon?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“Should I warn Seto, or is it something else,” I asked.

 

“The Volturi are sending someone to check on the situation,” my brother answered.

 

My eyes widened in fear and I swore under my breath.

 

“They aren’t sending him yet. I can’t tell for certain, but I think it won’t be for another month or so,” Darren continued.

 

“Let’s hope you’re right,” I mumbled and left the apartment.

 

I went up to Seto’s office and walked in. He saw the look on my face and knew I had bad news.

 

“What’s wrong,” he asked.

 

I walked forward and stood in front of his desk.

 

“We’re going to have some trouble coming our way in about a month,” I answered.

 

“What kind of trouble?”

 

“To put it simply, the vampire mafia is sending someone to check up on us. It’s because of that whole thing Mircea caused. He risked major exposure. The Volturi are sending someone to make sure humans don’t know about vampires.”

 

“And what if they find out Mokuba and I do,” Seto asked.

 

“Under most circumstances, they’d kill you both. I won’t let that happen, though. If we can convince them you and Mokuba don’t know, then we might be okay.”

 

“Why don’t they come themselves, instead of sending someone?”

 

“Don’t ever say that. You never want the three heads of the Volturi come. If they do, it usually means no negotiations. I’ve only heard of one instance where the entire community left their fortress, wives and all, and didn’t kill everyone in sight. It had something to do with a hybrid child. Seto, please, just don’t do anything to provoke the representative when he eventually come.”

 

Seto nodded in response.

 

“Thank you. I want to keep you around as long as I can,” I said with a smile.

 

I then leaned over the desk and gave him a quick kiss. I heard what would normally be an inaudible gasp and resisted the urge to chuckle. For some reason, that never ceased to leave him breathless. I turned his laptop towards myself and skimmed through the figures.

 

“There was an error in the spreadsheet and I’m trying to find it,” Seto said, answering the question on my face.

 

“It’s right here. The number should be 2450, not 2540,” I answered, typing the correction into the computer.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Of course I am. I wouldn’t mess around with your work if I wasn’t sure of what I was doing. Is there anything else you need help with?”

 

“I didn’t need your help in the first place.”

 

“I know, but I gave it anyway,” I answered, causing Seto to chuckle quietly.

 

“I have everything under control,” he said after a moment.

 

“In that case, would you mind if I took Mokuba for a walk through the woods just outside the city. I’m sure he’d enjoy it.”

 

“That’s fine.”

 

“Thanks, Seto,” I said and kissed his cheek before leaving the office.



© 2008 Minyonka


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on December 6, 2008


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka