Disaster

Disaster

A Chapter by Minyonka
"

I DO NOT own the song "All I Need" by Within Temptation

"

  Over the course of the past week, I had been unable to get anything from Kaiba's thoughts. I didn't have any clue what he suspected of Darren and me. It was now Halloween night and Darren, Mokuba, Kaiba and I walked into the building hosting the party. We had all dressed for the occasion. Darren wore a tuxedo with a small mask covering his eyes while I wore a medieval maiden's gown with my hair pulled back into a simple braid. Kaiba simply wore a suit and Mokuba dressed up as a vampire. I couldn't help but laugh at the irony of it all. The music inside the building was loud and the beat pulsed through my body. It made me think back to what it felt like to actually have a pulse. While Darren, Mokuba and I went onto the dance floor, Kaiba stayed by the wall. At first, Mokuba was a little nervous about dancing, but he soon came out of his shell.

 

"Scarlett, I don't think Seto wants to be here," the younger of the two Kaiba brothers said after about an hour.

 

I glanced over at Kaiba to see him sitting alone at a table with a bored expression on his face.

 

"I'll fix that," I answered with a smile and walked over to the table.

 

I sat down across from Kaiba, looking into his eyes.

 

"You should join us. It'll be more fun than sitting over here," I suggested.

 

"Thanks, but no thanks," he answered.

 

"You look bored. Come on, one dance couldn't hurt."

 

Kaiba didn't answer. Instead, he gave me a highly annoyed and skeptical look.

 

"I don't dance," he finally said.

 

"Well, you will now. Come on," I answered and grabbed his wrist, my hand wrapped around the sleeve of his suit jacket.

 

I stood up and walked onto the dance floor, pulling Kaiba along with me.

 

"Let me go," he ordered.

 

I'm dying to catch my breath

Oh why don't I ever learn?

I've lost all my trust,

Though I've surely tried to turn it around

 

"Looks like you're in luck. It's a nice, easy slow song," I said and placed my hands on Kaiba's shoulders.

 

Can you still see the heart of me?

All my agony fades away

When you hold me in your embrace

 

Kaiba finally rested his hands on my lower back and we started swaying just before the chorus of the song started.

 

"See, Seto, was that so hard," I whispered in his ear, a teasing tone in my voice.

 

Don't tear me down for all I need

Make my heart a better place

Give me something I can believe

Don't tear me down

You've opened the door now don't let it close

 

I looked over Kaiba's should and could see Darren and Mokuba watching from the sidelines. My brother had a smirk on his face. I briefly wondered if he had seen this in one of his visions. I mentally shrugged it off and continued to sway in time with the music and Kaiba. Finally, I rested my head on his shoulder, my forehead just barely touching his neck.

 

'For once, being a vampire isn't interfering with my ability to enjoy myself,' I thought happily.

 

In that same instant, Kaiba let go of me and took a step back. I could see the shock on his face and heard his heart pound in his chest. I inwardly cursed myself for my stupidity.

 

"You're a," Kaiba started, but I covered his mouth with my hand.

 

"Don't panic, please," I whispered.

 

I moved us into the same position we were in before and started swaying. My head was on his neck again and I could feel his pulse racing.

 

'Calm down, Kaiba. I'm not going to hurt you. I'm only doing this to avoid drawing attention,' I mentally told him.

 

He didn't answer. His mind was too jumbled to for a coherent thought.

 

'Kaiba, I want you to think back to before I pulled you out to dance. What color were my eyes,' I asked.

 

'Purple,' he answered after a minute.

 

'That's right. That means you are perfectly safe, as is everyone in this room. I don't need any blood right now and I won't for another two weeks.'

 

'So you'll kill me in two weeks.'

 

'No. I don't drink human blood. I refuse to do that. I only hunt animals. Why else do you think I disappeared for a few hours every couple of weeks?'

 

'Is your brother one too?'

 

"Yes, he is. Kaiba, I need you to listen to me. You can't tell anyone what you've just heard. I swear, nothing will happen to you. I'm here to protect you and Darren is here to protect me, nothing more,' I explained.

 

'From what,' Kaiba asked.

 

'I wish i knew. That way, I could have gotten rid of it and we could have avoided this whole mess. Kaiba, I'm asking you to trust me again, for your sake as well as ours.'

 

It took another moment, but he finally nodded as the song ended. I stepped back and let him go.

 

"Thank you," I whispered before walking past him.

 

I went up to Darren and Mokuba. I could see the concern in my brother's eyes.

 

"I'm heading back. I'm not feeling too well," I said aloud so that Mokuba could hear me over the new song that had started playing.

 

Darren grabbed my wrist to stop me from going too far.

 

"What happened," he asked in a low whisper, his lips barely moving.

 

"I'll tell you later. You stay here and look after Kaiba and Mokuba," I answered in the same manner before pulling my hand free and walking out towards Kaiba Corp.



© 2008 Minyonka


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on November 24, 2008
Last Updated on November 24, 2008


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka