Chapter Two: Thirty Days

Chapter Two: Thirty Days

A Chapter by Karli
"

The second chapter of Hold Your Peace :)

"

    Bliss ended soon after. I sighed, resting comfortably next to Ryan on my front porch. We watched the waves roll of the rocks slowly, as they reached towards us. We knew this perfect bliss wouldn’t last forever, but we were determined to keep our love permanent.

    “What’s wrong?” Ryan wrapped a blanket around me, along with his arms.

    “Nothing,” I shook my head. “I’m just not used to this. You and I have never been this…perfect. I guess I feel like something is going to go wrong any second.”

    “It doesn’t matter if anything happens.” he rubbed my arms softly. “We’ll be together, and that’s all that matters.”

    “You promise?” I turned to look at him.

    “I promise.” he nodded and kissed me. The kiss was sweet, and gentle. It was a normal kiss between us. Normal, meaning fireworks exploded, the world disappeared, and everything became perfect.

    The next day, I walked to my sister’s house. It was a mile and a half away, and I enjoyed the time alone. North Carolina was beautiful this time of year. Autumn was approaching, and the Carolinas were at their best, resembling an old country painting. The roads were peaceful, and the air was calm, and soft. I smiled happily, enjoying the scenic stroll I was on.

    As I reached Kimmy’s house, she was already waiting outside with a glass of water. She hugged me tightly and invited me right in. We sat on her couch and turned on the radio, chatting quietly.

    “So, how are things between you and Ryan?” she asked curiously, leaning towards me. “Are you engaged yet?”

    I laughed at my big sister, punching her playfully.

   “No.” I shook my head. “We’re great, though. I don’t see how things could be any better, honestly.”

    “That’s good.” she nodded. “Mark and I are getting married.”

    “What?” my eyes widened. “He proposed?”

    “Yes,” she laughed. “Will you be my maid of honor?”

    “Of course!” I leaned over and hugged her excitedly.

    My sister was getting married!

    “I need serious help planning this wedding.” she told me.

    “Well, I’m a wedding dress designer, but maybe I can give you a few wedding tips, too.” I joked. “So, are you going to have it at the beach, like you always dreamed?”

    “I don’t know,” she shook her head. “We might move back to San Diego.”

    “What?” I sat back. “Why? You’ve dreamed of living here your whole life, and so have I.”

    “He doesn’t like it here. Truthfully, it was my idea to move to San Diego, not his. I just don’t think life around here fits me.” she explained. “I’ll visit as often as I can though, I promise.”

    “Kimmy, San Diego is a million and three miles away from here. You’ll be here like once a year.” I sighed and kept my eyes on her couch.

    What was I going to do without my big sister? She had always been my best friend, the one I’d always go to for advice and consoling. The one time Ryan and I broke up (which lasted for a good three weeks), she helped me through it. I’d been there through everything with her, too. I could imagine life without Kimmy right by my side. Maybe this was the horrible thing that I’d been anticipating? At least I knew what it was now.

    “Erin,” she sighed and patted my back. “There’s no way anything’s going to get in the way of us talking all the time. With all this new technology, they even have various ways of video chatting! I promise I’ll always be here if you need me.”

    “Things won’t be the same.” I frowned. “I know you’ll be here for me, though.”

    “I will.” she assured me.

   We embraced again before beginning planning her guest list. She didn't want everyone she knew attending, but only her closest friends and family. We got off track quickly, talking off dresses, wedding rings, and cake options. Instead of trying to re-focus on the guest list, we wrote down everything we said.

    "I'm going to San Diego to really plan all this," she informed me. "Will you come with me? You can live in my apartment."

    "Kimmy, I just moved into my apartment." I shook my head, refusing her offer.

    "We'll only be gone for about a month. Come on, Erin, you have your whole life to live here. Can't you spare a month to help your sister plan her wedding?" she pleaded.

I sighed and nodded, giving in.

    "Alright," I answered her plea. "When are you planning on leaving?"

    "In a week." she bit her lip. "Will you be okay with that?"

    "Sure."

    "You're the best." she squeezed me tightly.

    "I know." I teased.

~ ~ ~

    "A whole month?" Ryan whined. I nodded sadly and sipped my lemon water. I'd suggested going out for dinner so that I could break the news to him.

    "Once I'm back, I'll be back for good. The only time I'll have to leave is when I'm visiting Kimmy for a weekend or something." I assured him. "If we could do four years, we can do a month."

    "I guess." he hung his head, focusing on his steak. "You can call me every night. We'll still talk all the time."

    "I just hate being apart from you." he reached over the table and took my hands in his.

    "Same for me." I stroked his hand with my thumb. "There will be a time where we'll never have to be apart. We just have to look forward to those days."

    "They seem too far away." he frowned. "We'll make them happen once this month is over."

    "That's the spirit," I chuckled and sat back in my seat.

    Thankfully, we were able to drop the subject and enjoy the rest of the evening in peace. We shared a caramel sundae, and walked home, enjoying the beautiful night sky.

~ ~ ~

    "Erin, it's time to go." Kimmy handed me my purse. She began lugging our suitcases out to her car. I stayed behind to say my final goodbyes to Ryan.

   We embraced lovingly, knowing it was only a matter of time before we could be together again. I pulled back and kissed him passionately, his arms pulling me closer to him.

    "Think of it as thirty days." I smiled sadly. "It sounds much easier to bear than a month."

    "Either way, we're apart." he placed a kiss on my forehead.

   "Erin, come on, our flight leaves soon!" Kimmy called from the front porch.

   "I'll be right there!" I attempted to call out. My eyes were creating many teardrops, causing my voice to crack. I hugged him again, allowing the tears to fall onto his t-shirt. "I love you."

    "I love you too, Erin." he grinned and kissed my cheek, releasing me from his arms.

    As I rode to the airport, my gaze remained out my window. My whole life, I'd dreamed of living here in North Carolina, with Ryan by my side. Now, that dream was finally coming true, but with a price.

    I knew Ryan and I were soulmates. We were destined to be together, and we'd find a way. I couldn't think of a single reason we'd separate, to be honest. Never would I let anything happen to that love we had, no matter what.

 



© 2011 Karli


Author's Note

Karli
So, this chapter sort of introduces you to what's coming, but still in that mushy, boring stage. The next chapter will start some drama, so stay tuned:), that is, if I haven't completely lost your attention, which I'm sure I have. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

So, I have one thing to say, and I'm being totally serious. I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!! I love everything about it! The romance, and the sisterly friendship between Erin and Kimmy, the beautiful descriptions of North Carolina, and just everything! Looking forward to more, Karli!! :)

P.S. Could you just do one thing, and make the font bigger? I'd appreciate that if it's not too much trouble. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I absolutely love ths book!!! ilove it ssssoooooo much!!! Cant read that much right nw but I cant wait to read more

Posted 13 Years Ago


I liked this one, but some of the things in it could be changed a little. If you went over it again and took out a few un-needed words and rearranged a few of the sentenes it would clean it up alot.


Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
3 Reviews
Added on February 2, 2011
Last Updated on February 2, 2011


Author

Karli
Karli

About
My name is Karli. Jesus. Youth Ministry. Europe. "He has told you what is good...do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God."-Micah 6:8. more..

Writing