Chapter Thirteen: Rain, Rain, Go Away

Chapter Thirteen: Rain, Rain, Go Away

A Chapter by Karli
"

Chapter Thirteen of Hold Your Peace

"

    The next few days put me in a gloomy mood. I hadn't seen Ryan in an entire week. Rachel had him on a tight leash, forcing him to "help her with wedding plans" every single second. The last few days, it had been nearly non-stop rain. It would stop for about an hour a day, but other than that, it was nothing but a downpour. Don't get me wrong, I love rain. There was something so romantic, and cozy about it.

    As time passed, Kimmy grew bigger. We were finally getting used to the fact that there would be a baby in the family. Today, during her doctor's appointment, she would probably be able to determine the sex of the baby. I couldn't wait to see if I'd have a niece named Elizabeth!

    Laurel had been over every day, saying she couldn't handle being stuck in the house alone. What with all the rain, it was already lonely. Ryan's absence just added onto that. So, we sat on my couch day in and day out, watching movies and scarfing down popcorn and ice cream. Life was good.

    "It's a mess out there!" I turned around to see Kimmy and Mark coming through the door. Mark was shielding Kimmy from the rain with his sweatshirt. "Erin, I've got bad news."

    "Your kid is a Mark?" I frowned.

    "I'm afraid so." she took a seat next to me. "I'll have my Elizabeth one day."

    "I'm sure you will." I squeezed her knee and poured a glass of root beer.

    Honestly, I was slightly bummed about not being able to have a niece. I knew that one day, Kimmy would have a girl. She loved kids, and had always wanted children of her own. I was so proud of her for having a child at all, truly. She deserved it.

    My cell phone rang, forcing me to leave my comfortable spot. I groaned, annoyed with whoever was calling me. Looking at my phone, I saw Ryan's number on my screen.

    Nevermind.

    "Hello?" I answered, taking my call into the kitchen.

    "Hey," I could practically feel the warmth from his smile. "The rain let up. You want to come walk with me?"

    "Yes." I answered a little too quickly. "Meet me in ten five minutes?"

    "Perfect." He agreed.

    Today was the day, I could feel it. I was going to take it to the next level. I didn't know how, but I'd find a way. Nothing and no one could stop me.

    I slowly slipped out the door before anyone could notice. Everyone, including Mark, was sitting on the couch watching Titanic. I personally found that movie too long to enjoy.

    "Hi," I couldn't keep myself from beaming when I saw Ryan. We gave each other a warm, friendly hug before walking around the lake.

    "Kimmy found out her baby is a boy." I frowned, walking as close as I could next to Ryan.

    "That's a bad thing?" he chuckled.

    "Yes!" I responded in sorrow. "She was going to name her baby girl after me!"

    "That's too bad," he nudged me.

    I decided to put it all out there.

    "Why exactly did you propose to Rachel?" I dared to question. He sighed and looked at the ground.

    "I don't know, Erin." his voice croaked. "I wasn't thinking. I don't love her, but I don't know what to do. Obviously, I can't marry her. I just don't know how to break it to her."

    Wow, that was a really honest answer.

    "You want to know a secret?" he smiled.

    The rain picked up a bit. I didn't care one bit.

    "Sure," I turned my head to hide my happiness.

    "I still love you." he said casually, looking straight ahead at the rainy sky.

    "You do?"

    Don't screw this up, Erin!

    "Of course I do." he nudged me again. "I won't ever stop, no matter what."

    "That really complicates things." I bit my lip and tightened my eyes. He grabbed my hand and gave it a light squeeze.

    "I want to find a way to be with you, but I want to do it in a way that Rachel won't freak out." he confessed.

    My mood shot up about ten million miles into the sky. Ryan and I could finally be together!

    "I love you." I admitted. We paused our walk and turned to face each other.

    Without hesitation, he leaned down to kiss me. The kiss was passionate at the tumbling rain around us, as it fell like safely to the Earth's surface. We didn't care about anything else that moment, except for being together. There was no more denying it.

 

    I silently entered the house, praying Kimmy wasn't in the room. Fortunately, she wasn't. Laurel wasn't here either.

    "Where is everyone?" I asked Mark, who was in the kitchen washing dishes.

    "They're out renting more movies. The rain isn't supposed to stop for a while. Where have you been?" he questioned, turning off the faucet.

    "I was with Ryan." I admitted, not thinking he'd give me a lecture.

    "Come sit with me for a second." he brought me to the dining room table and handed me a glass of water. "I know Kimmy's really against this whole things right now."

    "I barely tell her anything." I added.

    "You know what I think?" he began. "I believe it's your decision. You obviously love this guy. I know how you feel. To be honest, the second I saw Kimmy, I felt something right about her. She was the most beautiful woman in the world, and I got nervous around her for so long. I know what it's like to want someone so much."

    "Really?" I raised an eyebrow. "I always thought Kimmy was in love with you first, and felt horrible because she thought she could never have you."

    "That was the problem. We didn't have faith in ourselves. When we finally did, that was how our relationship began." he began. "That's beside the point, though. I think if you're truly in love with this guy, go after him. Don't let anyone hold you back, even your sister. I can see you're already doing this."

    "I really do love him."

    "Here's my advice. Do what you feel is right. If you want to be with him, just tell him. If he wants to be with you, be together. Don't worry about that Rachel chick, or what your sister will think. Don't worry about anything but you and him." he advised, patting my back. "I believe in you, kid."

    "Thanks," I smiled and stood up to hug him.

    I loved Mark. Ever since the first time Kimmy brought him home, he's treated me like his baby sister. I'd always wanted an older brother, and he was it.

    "The rain stopped." I looked outside to see the sun reclaiming its place in the sky.

    Life was getting back together for me.

   

 

   



© 2011 Karli


Author's Note

Karli
I'm so excited about getting this far, and some of you have reviewed with really nice comments, and it's kept me going:) So thanks. Keep reading!:)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is such a good book! I hope he tells Rachel NOOOOO!!!! Anyway, really looking forward to more!!!!! :D And thanks for the reviews on my book! It keeps me going as well. :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow 13 chapters so many!! how many words is this? and in not a long period of time!! I really like this book so far. When you are editing it there is some things that you will have to change, and re-write, but its really good the way it is too,
keep it up! I know you can finish and publish it!!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 5, 2011
Last Updated on February 5, 2011


Author

Karli
Karli

About
My name is Karli. Jesus. Youth Ministry. Europe. "He has told you what is good...do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God."-Micah 6:8. more..

Writing