Chapter Three: Long-Distance Calls

Chapter Three: Long-Distance Calls

A Chapter by Karli
"

Chapter Three of Hold Your Peace

"

    San Diego was my hometown. Kimmy and I had lived here with our Father all of our lives. It was nice to be back for a little while, as much as I missed North Carolina, and most of all, Ryan. The second our plane met the freeway, Kimmy was a mess with wedding ideas. Her fiance, Mark, had agreed to meet us at the airport. He treated us to lunch at our favorite restaurant.

    "So, why aren't you moving out here with us?" Mark asked me, stealing one of my salty french fries. "You grew up here."

    "I know." I sipped my iced tea before finishing. "My whole life, I've dreamt of living in North Carolina. My boyfriend lives there, and so does my Dad. Plus, I love it. I guess I just can't give it up."

    "Well, if you're ever here, you're always welcome at our house." Mark offered.

    "Thanks," I beamed gratefully. "I'm so happy that you two are finally getting married. You've been together longer than Ryan and I have."

    "We're finally tying the knot." Kimmy squealed, squeezing Mark's hand.

    I've always looked up to Mark and Kimmy's relationship. They'd never let anything come between them, even when they had weak moments. The pair completely balanced each other out. Ever since the first time Kimmy brought Mark home to meet the family, I felt a good vibe from him. He was so genuine, and treated my sister the way she should be. They were soulmates, like Ryan and I. I wanted to end up like them, married.

    "Where are you planning on living?" I asked the couple, taking another bite of my medium-rare steak.

    "We're thinking anywhere near the beach." my sister responded, her mouth full of salad. "We don't have enough for a house just yet, but that's okay. It's not like we have kids. We just want a place that the two of us can own."

     "As long as I can support Kimmy, we can live pretty much anywhere." Mark added. "We also need two bedrooms, in case we have visitors. For example, you."

    "Well, I feel honored," I pretended to fan myself. "I'm sure I'll be visiting often."

     "You'd better," Kimmy playfully slapped my arm. "Right now, we're living with Mom. Her new house is huge!"

     "I've seen pictures." I nodded.

     "You can stay in my room. Mom won't let Mark and I sleep in the same room, because she's so old-fashioned." Kimmy explained.

    "Perfect." I grinned.

 

~     ~     ~

 

    "After we went to pick out their venue, Mark took us dancing. I forgot how much fun San Diego is!" I exclaimed, unpacking my suitcase into the blue dresser in my room.

    "Yeah, I miss it there sometimes." Ryan replied. A quick sound of static interfered our call before vanishing, leaving us together again. "I can't believe Kimmy's chosing San Diego over North Carolina, to be honest."

     "Me neither!" I plopped down on my bed and lied back on the soft pillows. "At least she's happy. I've never seen her smile this month. She really loves Mark."

    "I always thought they'd make it to marriage." Ryan added.

    "Kimmy thinks we will, too," I dared to say.

    "So do I," he agreed.

    "Really?" I smiled to myself.

    "Of course." he clarified. "When we're really ready, it'll happen for us. Right now, I just like being with you."

    "Me, too." I closed my eyes in joy. "Kimmy and Mark are so excited about getting married, but they don't act any different. They so marriage is no different, they'll just live together."

    "I wonder how long that will last." he chuckled.

    "It won't be long before they're fighting over the TV remote," I agreed.

    Before he could say anything, I heard a voice in his background.

    "Ryan, do you have any beer?" the voice said.

    It was a female's voice. I'd never heard this voice before.

    "Yeah, it's in the fridge out in the garage," he answered her.

    "Who was that?" I questioned, trying to be as casual as possible.

    "Oh, that was my cousin, Laurel. She's visiting for a few days." he answered smoothly.

    Weird, Ryan and I had been together for six years. He's never mentioned any cousins, or any family members named Laurel. I'm sure it just slipped his mind. I could trust him.

    "Oh," I answered.

    "Hey, listen, I've got to go. I'm taking Laurel to dinner." he concluded.

    "Okay." I tried to sound normal.

    "I'll call you tomorrow?"

    "Yeah, sure," I managed.

    "Alright. I love you." his voice was still sweet, and sincere. I prayed to God he wasn't doing anything behind my back.

    "I love you too," I nearly choked before hanging up.

    A bad feeling crept inside my mind, haunting me with thoughts and theories I never wanted to know. Was he messing around with another girl? He said she was his cousin. I believed him, but why had he never told me about a cousin? I'd met all of his family.

    Luckily, Kimmy came in the room, saving my from my thoughts. An ear to ear grin was plastered on her face as she glided towards her bed.

    "Mark and I had the best night." she revealed. "He took me to the beach. We got a lot closer tonight, I can feel it."

    "That's great." I attempted to sound excited.

    "Did you call Ryan?" she changed the subject.

    "Yes. I heard another girl in the background." I confided.

    Her eyes widened to the size of quarters.

    "Tell me everything." she climbed onto my bed.

    "She just asked him if he had beer, and he said she was his cousin. I didn't know he had cousins." I explained.

    "Well, she could be distant, or something." Kimmy suggested. "Don't jump to conclusions, but there's a possibility...just wait and see what this brings."

     "If I find out he's lying to me," I couldn't even finish. I couldn't imagine life without Ryan.

     "Don't think that way. He very well could be telling the truth." Kimmy gave me a comforting hug. "Get some sleep, Erin."

     "Goodnight, Kimmy." I sighed and pulled my dark blue covers over my chilled body.

 

~      ~      ~

    I sat out on the patio the next morning, trying to make sense of this. Ryan had never mentioned cousins. He did have family all over the country, and he was half-Italian, so she could live in Rome or something. There could be some kind of family drama he didn't like to talk about. For now, I completely trusted him. It was the least I could do for the love of my life.

    "Hey, kid," Kimmy came and sat next to me the next morning. "What are you thinking about?"

    "Whoever this Laurel chick is," I admitted. With anyone else, I'd lie and say I was fine. My sister was like my diary. I've never hidden anything from her, and I didn't plan to start now. "I'm trying to make sense of it all. My theory is that she's one of his relatives from Italy."

    Kimmy let out a laugh and patted my back.

    "I doubt that." she shook her head, kicking a rock off of the patio. "There's an explanation for this. Hopefully, you're just being paranoid, and he's telling the truth."

    "I really hope so." I stood up to go back inside.

    Breakfast had been prepared by my sister's amazing fiance. I sat at the table, next to my Mother, and began eating a piece of buttered toast.

    "It's good to have my girls home again." Mom poured a glass of orange juice for both of us. "You've only been here a few times in the last couple of years."

    "I know, and I apologize. I really do love it here, I just love life in North Carolina." I forced my mind off of the Ryan subject. "I'll be here as often as possible, I promise."

    I loved my Mom. She was so gentle, and comforting. I fought with her few times, even less than I fought with Kimmy, to be honest. Whenever I came home, I automatically felt guilty about never being here. It wasn't that I didn't like San Diego. Truly I loved it. North Carolina just called to me. Whenever I visted my Dad for the summer, I felt so much happier there.

    "I hope you will." Mom handed me a bagel. "I'm glad you're going to be here to plan Kimmy's wedding. I'm so excited for the two of them."

    "So am I." I gazed out the window to see Mark and Kimmy embracing.

    "One day, it'll be you getting married." Mom grinned to herself.

    "I'm sure." I sighed, praying Ryan was faithful. "I'm going to go for a walk."

    I made the mistake of bringing my cell phone along. Ten minutes into my walk around my hometown, my phone rang. I looked at the screen to see that Ryan was reaching me.

    "Hello?" I answered casually.

    "Hey, sorry I had to cut over conversation short last night." he expressed, sounding as normal as ever. I smiled at the sound of his deep, warm voice. 

    "No worries." I found myself lying. "Your...cousin was here."

    "Yeah, I haven't seen her in years. I think you would really like her. Hopefully you'll meet her one day." he babbled.

    If he was lying, and just making up a story, I'd have a cow.   

    "I hope so, too." At this point, I didn't even know if I was lying.

    "Are you okay?" he quickly caught on to my gloomy voice. "You sound upset."

    "I'm fine." I lied.

    "Erin, don't lie to me. Somethings wrong." he demanded.

    Ryan knew me all too well.

    "I'm fine, I promise." I lied again. I hated lying to him, but for all I knew, he could be lying, too.

    What was wrong with me? Why couldn't I trust him? He was becoming so important to me, I simply wouldn't be able to bear it if he hurt me.

    "When you're ready to tell me the truth, let me know." he sighed. "I know you, and I can tell when something's wrong."

    "Look, I'll call you later. We're going out to meet with the caterers." I lied. We hadn't even discussed wedding food just yet.

    "Call me later?" he pleaded.

    "Okay." I shook my head to myself. I didn't want to speak with Ryan again today. I pushed the end button on my phone and slipped in my my pocket.

 

 

 



© 2011 Karli


Author's Note

Karli
So, the drama kinda/sorta starts here. It gets more intense with the following chapters. Also, the relationship between Mark and Kimmy is more significant than you think. If it sucks, that's fine. Please give me critisism because I want to publish this eventually:)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aw, it would be wonderful if you could publish it! Oh, I so hope that Ryan isn't lying, and I do wish Erin wasn't either. I'm so happy for Mark and Kimmy! :) They sound like they make a perfect couple. :) Reading on...

Posted 12 Years Ago


It doesn't suck thats for sure, needs a bit of work, but I think that you will be able to publish it. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 3, 2011
Last Updated on February 3, 2011


Author

Karli
Karli

About
My name is Karli. Jesus. Youth Ministry. Europe. "He has told you what is good...do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God."-Micah 6:8. more..

Writing