Chapter 9: An Unnerving Phone Call

Chapter 9: An Unnerving Phone Call

A Chapter by Ayame Kurosaki
"

Who's calling Tamaki now and why does he have to go to the police station?!

"

Chapter 9: An Unnerving Phone Call

 

            Tamaki didn’t know how, but he ended up outside a doll shop with a screaming, female kitsune floating around his head. He had been forced into numerous shops dealing with anything dolls to dogs just to please the annoying little fox demon. (Well she wasn’t exactly little, considering she was 6’5”; which wasn’t very comfortable for Tamaki since he was only 6 foot.)
            He walked down a street in southern Shinjuku, laden with shopping bags filled with items that would have gathered even worse stares than Minami and Tamaki did that night; if the items were visible of course. He was going over that night in his mind when a bell rang in the distance, signaling noon.
            Tamaki turned to Kumiko who was, thank God, invisible to everyone other than him and saw her doing a jumpy little dance. He briefly smiled to himself.
            “Kumiko, are you hungry?” Tamaki asked, already knowing the answer.
            “Yes. Yes I really am Tamaki!” Kumiko screeched. She was starting to get tired too, but was very happy because Tamaki was putting up with her every whim; even though she knew he had better things to do. She softly put her feet on solid ground (she had started hovering from excitement) and gave Tamaki a surprisingly bone-crushing hug.
            “Tamaki-kun, you’re the nicest person I have ever met!” Kumiko practically shouted into the young man’s ear. It was true; humans could be despicable creatures.
            “That’s very kind Kumiko, but your starting to hurt my ribs,” Tamaki gasped.
            “Oh my gosh! I’m sorry Tamaki-kun, I’m just really happy!” Kumiko felt tears come to her eyes. ‘When did I get so emotional?’ Kumiko asked herself. She held back her tears and smiled again as she followed him to the parking garage where his Mustang convertible was parked.
            They reached Tamaki’s apartment and walked inside. Tamaki set down the two bags of food they picked up at McDonalds on the dining room table. He felt a pang of sadness at the though of that day with Minami, and Kumiko could see it cross his face. She picked up his hand and caressed it softly. His expression softened and he smiled at her reassuringly.
            “It’s alright Kumiko, I’m just still sad about Minami’s death. You don’t need to worry about me, I’m fine,” Tamaki ended weakly.
            “Look Tamaki-kun, I’ve only known you for a day; but you already feel like a brother to me. I don’t like it when you’re sad,” Kumiko said quietly. Tamaki’s phone rang and their hands fell next to their owners’ sides. Tamaki picked up the phone slightly annoyed.
            “Hello?” Tamaki asked.
            “Yes, hello. Is this Tamaki Satahiro,” The caller inquired loudly. It sounded like an older man.
            “Yes this is he. May I ask who is calling?” Tamaki replied dully.
            “This is detective Junosuke[1] Mashimoto and I’m calling to ask you to come to the Shinjuku Police Department, because we need to ask you some questions about Minami Asuko.” The man’s tone was tough and demanding. Tamaki’s heart ached as a new wave of sorrow and guilt washed over him.
“Y-yes sir. I’ll be right there. Sayonara,” Tamaki stammered. And with that, he hung up the phone and looked at Kumiko with a fake smile.
“Come on Kumiko. Let’s go.” Kumiko stared at him with a worried expression; but said nothing. ‘I hope you’ll be okay, Tamaki,’ she thought. She had just consoled him to the best of her abilities, she wanted him to be happy; but from the looks of the new situation, he wouldn’t be truly happy for a long time. Kumiko hoped to change that.


[1] Pronounced Joo-Nos-Kay


© 2008 Ayame Kurosaki


Author's Note

Ayame Kurosaki
Anything? Reviews would be nice.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on February 24, 2008


Author

Ayame Kurosaki
Ayame Kurosaki

Albuquerque, NM



About
I'm old enough to know what I want and go for it. I live in my own world most of the time but that's where my writing comes from, so I'm content. My writing buddy happens to be my cat, who loves to si.. more..

Writing