Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Alcingeria Chapter Twenty Four: Hunting With Ceberus

Alcingeria Chapter Twenty Four: Hunting With Ceberus

A Chapter by Ryan Henderson
"

The Vipers and the Scorpions ran out of meat, so Ceberus and Redmond go hunting. While in the forest, they run in to an old acquaintance of Ceberus's.

"


Chapter Twenty Four Hunting With Ceberus: It was Martha who broke the silence.


            “Oh, dear me! I just remembered that I used the last of our meat in Tabatha’s meal last night. Could you and Ceberus go out to the forest and bring back some game?” Martha asked me.


I was surprised that she had chosen me. The request was unexpected as well, but if she did need more meat I would have thought that she would choose someone from The Vipers. Before answering, I had the fleeting thought that she only requested this because she wanted to break the sadness induced silence. Regardless, I answered.


            “Sure thing, Martha.” I told her.


            “I’ll get my gun.” Ceberus said as he got up and walked out of sight.


            “Mine is ready. I’ll wait outside.” I called after him.


I got up and walked to the door.


            “Good luck, you two! Sorry for eating the last of the meat…” Tabatha said.


            “It’s quite alright dearie.” Martha said.


I opened the door and stepped through. There was no one working the fields yet. Everyone else was eating breakfast inside. Or was it lunch? I looked up to the azure sky and found that the sun was almost at its apex in the sky. It was just before noon. The sky had only a few clouds and it was warm out. The sea of green crops that splayed out before me gave the atmosphere a cozy feel when mixed in with the warm weather and the perfect azure sky. The only obstruction to this was the grey stone wall that could be seen a few kilometers away. Beyond that I could see green trees. That was the forest that Ceberus and I had to go to in order to hunt. I heard the door open and shut behind me.


            “Are you ready to go?” Asked Ceberus.


I turned to look at him. I saw that he was dressed in a beige leather coat in spite of the warm weather with brown pants and beige shoes. He had his musket on a strap slung over his right shoulder and he had a burlap sack slung over his left from another strap.


            “Yes.” I told him, showing my flintlock.


            “Very well. We’ll head out now. We’ll travel to the gate of Riverguard and go to the forest from there.” Ceberus said.


I began walking up the walkway that went from the fields to town. Ceberus followed me. We traversed the pathway quickly and made it to town. We walked past the various shops and inns that lined the grey stone street. We made it to the town square and crossed it, walking passed the fountain. We came to the gate. A guard stopped us.


            “Halt! What is your business on the outside?” He asked.


            “We’re hunting. My family has run out of meat.” Ceberus said.


The guard nodded and called to his friends;


            “Open the gate!” He shouted.


The gate began to open and slowly reveal the forest outside the wall. When it was fully opened, we walked through.


            “Stay safe! There have been hunters not unlike yourselves who have recently disappeared in this forest.” Called a guard.


There have been disappearances? If people went missing in the forest, I couldn’t help but wonder if Ignacio was back at his cabin abducting people, harvesting them for their blood. I shuddered at the thought.


            “We’ll, thank you.” I told him.


Ceberus and I walked to the treeline where the forest began. Dead leaves crunched beneath our shoes as we walked along. I looked around for game. There had to be something around here; a squirrel, a rabbit, a fox, a boar or maybe even a dear. My stomach grumbled as I imagined the meaty, succulent taste and of roast dear.


            “So, what do you think of Tabatha?” Ceberus asked suddenly as we walked along.


The question caught me off guard.


            “Oh, she’s, um… She’s alright, I suppose. I mean, the fact that she’s a witch is sort of off putting and it made me wonder if she could be trusted. She seems trustworthy now, though. Why do you ask?” I asked.


Ceberus shook his head.


            “It’s nothing, I just… I don’t know what it is about her. Something just isn’t right. You know?” He asked me.


I nodded, understanding.


            “I know. My survival instincts told me to keep my guard up, regardless of how innocent she looked or sounded, but she seems to be trustworthy.” I repeated.


            “I suppose that it was my own survival instinct that told me to be suspicious of Tabatha. After all, she is a witch.” Ceberus said with a laugh.


            “I think that we should give Tabatha a little more credit. She is a witch, but that isn’t to say that she can’t be trusted. I mean, she can’t help the fact that she is a witch.” I said.


            “I suppose I should drop my suspicions. Like you said, she seems trustworthy.”


There was a few more minutes of silence as we walked along the forest floor, looking around for game. I decided to ask Ceberus a question of my own.


            “What do you think about us, The Scorpions, Ceberus?” I asked.


Ceberus showed no hesitation in answering.


            “You four look like a nice group of men. Well, nice from a criminal’s standpoint at least. I can’t see any of you doing anything to hurt The Vipers. In other words, I trust you.” He said.


That was good to hear that he wasn’t suspicious of us.


            “What do you think of us, The Vipers?” Asked Ceberus.


            “Well, I think that you’re all nice. I have had more fun with The Vipers so far than most times with The Scorpions. I mean, come on! Stella and Erin teasing Don about going to bed on the girls’ side of the room and falling out of bed, it’s hilarious!” I said.


Ceberus smiled.


            “Yes. Call me crazy, but I think that Don has been trying to impress Stella, Erin and Tabatha since he met them.” Ceberus said with a laugh.


I laughed in return.


            “I think so too! He can usually make a girl fall for him within minutes of talking to her, but not with those three! It’s quite amusing to watch his usually razor sharp skills not work on the ladies for a change.” I said.


            “Do you think that Don only ran onto that burning pyre to save Tabatha to impress Stella and Erin?” Ceberus asked.


I nodded, laughing.


            “Yes! The thought had crossed my mind. I think that Don is getting desperate to make a good impression.” I said.


Ceberus’s grin widened.


            “I agree with you there, but I think that Don is scared of Tabatha now.” Ceberus said.


I thought back to when I had seen Don sitting directly across from Tabatha, which is the farthest he can be from her while sitting at the table.


            “Yes, but in all fairness Tabatha used her manipulation magic to make Don levitate. She was in complete control of the situation. I don’t think Don liked that.” I said.


Ceberus nodded in understanding.


            “Fair enough.” He said.


I looked around as we spoke and walked along. After a few minutes of looking, I saw a flutter of movement in the brush to my right about fifty feet away. Whatever it was disappeared into the treeline.


            “There!” I said, pointing out the spot.


Ceberus turned with his musket raised. He aimed down his sights and steadied his aim, waiting for whatever had moved to show itself again.


            “What the- that’s not an animal!” Ceberus said, lowering his musket.


Confusion hit me. Not an animal? What else could it be?


            “It’s alright, Walden. It’s me, Ceberus.” Ceberus said.


Who was he talking to? I got my answer a few seconds later when a small, winged creature that was no more than fifteen centimeters tall emerged from the bushes. His wings, clothes and hair were dark green. His wings beat like a humming bird’s as he flew out of the bushes slowly. Of course! It was a fairy!


            “Ceberus… Ceberus…” The fairy, Walden said.


Walden’s voice was high pitched, but not a screechy pitch. He said Ceberus’s name as if he was trying to remember where he had heard it before.


            “Ceberus… Oh! Right! You’re the man that I saved from Queen Yuka’s guards! You still owe me one, by the way.” Walden said with a grin.


            “Yes, I know, but it was over a year ago. Do you ever forget anything?” Ceberus asked.


Walden let out a laugh.


            “No sir. I’ll never forget that night. The guards were closing in on you, and then I used my manipulation magic and made you invisible. You didn’t even know you were invisible, either.” Walden braggingly said.


            “Ceberus, you were saved by a fairy?” I asked.


            “Yes. Regretfully it was this fairy, but I would rather be indebted to Walden than rotting in Queen Yuka’s prison.” Ceberus said.


            “What do you owe Walden, Exactly?” I asked.


            “Anything I want.” Walden answered.


            “Within reason.” Ceberus added.


Walden laughed.


            “Funny, I don’t remember that being part of the deal.” Walden said cockily.


            “Whatever. Have you even decided what you want?” Ceberus asked.


Walden shook his head.


            “No sir, but when that day comes you’ll be the one that I call.” Walden said.


            “Great…” Ceberus mumbled.


I cleared my throat.


            “So eh… Walden. Who are you, exactly?” I asked.


Walden chuckled.


            “Eh? Where’re my manners? Name’s Walden O’Leary. Who might you be?” Walden asked.


            “Redmond. Redmond Bradford.” I said.


            “Nice ta meet ya.” Walden said.


I had a feeling that this conversation was just about over.


            “Walden, have you seen any wildlife big enough to feed a few people around here?” I asked.


Walden made an angry face and crossed his little arms over his little chest.


            “What? You think that just because I’m a fairy that I keep tabs on all of the wildlife in this forest?” Walden said, sounding offended.


            “What? No! I…” I stammered.


Walden broke out laughing.


            “Relax, I’m just yanking your chain, buddy. Yes, I saw a pack of wild boars and some deer go by here in the last hour, but there’s no telling where they are now.” Walden said.


Ceberus nodded.


            “Thank you, Walden. We should be going now. Martha ran out of meat last night and Redmond and I are out getting more.” Ceberus said.


Walden nodded.


            “Need to run errands for the missus. Welp, I understand. Goodbye Ceberus and Raymond.” Walden said.


            “Farewell, Walden.” Ceberus replied.


Ceberus and I turned and walked away.


            “Return to Riverguard by nightfall! Vampires are all over these woods when the sun goes down!” I heard Walden call out to us.


Ceberus didn’t answer. We both pressed on, in search of the animals that Walden told us about.


            “Walden seems…” I began but trailed off.


            “Annoying? Yes.” Ceberus said.


I nodded.


            “Well, yes. He also seems full of himself.” I said.


Ceberus nodded.


            “Oh, yes he is. He thinks that merely because he saved my life of his own accord he’s so great.” Ceberus said with a laugh.


I heard a twig snap somewhere in the forest. I turned towards the sound. In the distance about a hundred feet away, I saw our prize; three wild boars.


            “There.” I whispered to Ceberus, indicating the animals.


            “Good eye, Redmond.” Ceberus said as he took aim with his musket.


            “Can you hit that?” I asked, looking at the hundred foot span between us and the wild boars.


Ceberus held his breath and steadied his aim. In a few seconds I saw his finger tensing on the trigger. After a few more seconds a thunderous boom! Ripped its way through the air. I looked over to the boar. Instantaneously it dropped to the ground with a cry of pain and an array of blood. The gunshot alerted the other two boars and they bolted in separate directions. Before I could think, I had my flintlock up and I zeroed in on a retreating boar. The boar was squealing in fear. I lined up the shot and pulled the trigger slowly. The flintlock kicked in my hand and the muzzle flashed, sending out the projectile. The boar dropped with a high pitched squeal as blood sprayed across the green grass. I reloaded my flintlock.


            “Nice shot!” Ceberus said with a grin as he reloaded his musket.


            “Thanks.” I said, putting my flintlock in my pocket.


            “Those boars won’t fit in this bag.” He said.


            “No kidding.” I said with a laugh.


            “We may as well collect those boars and call it quits for today. It’s almost twilight and we need to get back to Riverguard with as much time to spare as possible.” Ceberus told me.


            “Agreed.” I said.


Ceberus put his musket back on his shoulder by the strap and we both walked over to the boars.


            “Alright, now just pick up the boars and carry them on your back, like this.” Ceberus said as he slung a wild boar carcass over his shoulder.


He grabbed the one that he shot. I bent down and grabbed the one that I shot. It was a lot heavier than it looked! Ceberus made it look easy to carry. The guy must have been really strong! I picked up the boar and eased it across my shoulders, effectively slinging it across both of my shoulders. I walked after Ceberus and he waited for me.


            “These things are heavy!” I said, straining under the weight of the wild boar.


            “Heavy or not, these are too good of a score to just leave out here! Just imagine how these things will taste tonight!” Ceberus told me.


I salivated and my stomach grumbled at the thought of tender boar meat cooked to perfection by Martha. Ceberus and I walked along the forest floor heading back the way we came. The weight of the wild boars slowed us down, but we were both able to carry our game. After a few minutes we reached the spot where we met Walden. There was no sign of him around anymore. We walked past the spot and kept going. After a few more minutes, my back, legs and arms were starting to get really sore.


            “Just a little… further!” Ceberus said while straining under the weight of his boar.


I laughed.


            “It’s good to know that you’re human! I didn’t think you would ever get tired!” I joked.


            “How are you holding up?” Ceberus asked me.


            “Is it just me, or do these things seem to just get heavier?” I asked.


            “Great, you noticed it, too.” Ceberus joked back.


After a few more minutes of walking, the walls of Riverguard came into sight! We were getting slower and slower as we walked on. Twilight was now descending on the forest. This reminded me how late it actually was and it urged Ceberus and I to move faster. Not that we could, but we moved with more urgency than before.


            “It’s getting late.” I said.


            “We’ll be home before dark, don’t worry.” Ceberus reassured me.


We walked towards the walls of Riverguard. They got closer with each step, but the twilight gave our trek an edge of excitement. We finally arrived at the gate after another ten minutes of walking.


            “You’re back!” Exclaimed the same guard who let us out of the city hours earlier.


            “Yes. We were successful while hunting.” Ceberus said with a smile.


            “I see.” The guard said with an impressed smile.


He looked to his friends who operated the gate control.


            “Open the gate!” He shouted.


The gate began to slowly open. When it did, we stepped through and walked through the town square. Ceberus led us down a road that branched from the fountain and we continued on. The street that we were on became familiar as we walked down it. We eventually saw the pathway that led from the road through the field and to the house. We walked down the pathway and saw everyone else tending the fields. They all stopped to look at us, impressed by the boars that we carried on our backs. When we got to the house, Martha held the front door open for us.


            “Oh my! You boys have really outdone yourselves!” She exclaimed.


            “Thank you, dear. Where do you want these?” Asked Ceberus.


            “Just put them in the back room. I’ll skin them and prepare them for dinner.” Martha said as she walked ahead and opened a door that led to the back room.


Ceberus stepped through and I followed him. The room was small, only large enough for about five or six people. There was a wash basin and a fireplace with a cooking pot above it. Inside the cooking pot was water. Steam rose off of it as the temperature increased.


            “Just put them on the table. Thank you.” Martha said, indicating a table to my right.


I turned and eased the boar off of my shoulders and onto the table. I could stand up straight now and the pain on my back, legs and arms eased. I sighed in relief.


            “Much better.” I said.


Ceberus put his boar on the table as well.


            “You can say that again.” Ceberus said with a grin.


            “Thank you very much, you two. You can both go out to the field and work until dinner or you can wait in the house. The choice is yours.” Martha said.


            “I think I’ll go and help in the field.” I said.


I turned and exited the back room. I walked towards the front door. No one seemed to be in the house as I walked by all of the rooms. I made my way to the front door and I opened it, stepped through and closed it. The twilight had darkened and it would soon be dusk.




© 2015 Ryan Henderson


Author's Note

Ryan Henderson
Please tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I daresay I'm greatly impressed with this chapter. The premise of going out hunting is great for the time period, and fits the title not only in the obvious sense, but in the sense that you don''t miss the chance for Ceberus and Redmond to have a bit of bonding, hence "Hunting With Ceberus". The trek and the hunt are done well and kept interesting in my opinion, even the added danger of the vampires coming at night is a great touch, you can tell they really are making every effort to hurry back.

Not only that, but Walden... Really great vibes from what little dialogue he's shown. He's not the first fairy with an attitude, but you almost give him a leprechaun-like or Irish feel with his speech. I just get the most amusingly annoying voice from reading him and it's great.

I did have a few suggestions still, nothing overly major but I've just started mailing them because it makes my comments look overblown. I guess that loses me points, but eh... xD

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ryan Henderson

9 Years Ago

lol thanks for the awesome review! I did my best to keep it interesting and I also did the bonding b.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

484 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 9, 2015
Last Updated on March 16, 2015
Tags: Medieval, Vampire, Vampires, Fiction, Fantasy, Teen, Original

Alcingeria


Author

Ryan Henderson
Ryan Henderson

Cobourg, Ontario, Canada



About
I will review your work if you send me a read request, I like to help writers get off of the ground, I will also suggest ideas for your work if needed. Please note that I don't really like poetry... more..

Writing