Alcingeria Chapter Thirty Seven: Preparations

Alcingeria Chapter Thirty Seven: Preparations

A Chapter by Ryan Henderson
"

Princess Eataire's fifteen birthday is in two days and she is hosting a ball to celebrate. Better yet; she's invited The Scorpions and The Vipers to attend!

"

Chapter Thirty Seven Preparations: I woke up to the sound of clinking metal. I looked to where the sound was coming from and saw Lawrence standing behind a little trolley loaded with tea and biscuits. He had a cup of tea in his hand and was stirring it with a little metal spoon.

            “Would you like some tea, sir?” Lawrence asked.

I grinned. Lawrence was the greatest.

            “That’d be great, thanks Lawrence.” I said.

Lawrence handed me the tea. It was still warm. I raised the cup to my lips and sipped the warm herbal tea. I took a few more sips.

            “You must have been comfortable. You slept on top of the blankets.” Lawrence remarked.

I nodded.

            “Yes, the bed here’s very comfortable.” I said.

            “Do you like your tea?” Lawrence asked.

I nodded, taking another sip of the tea.

            “Yes, it’s great. What kind is it?” I asked.

            “It is green tea made from fresh herbs. Coincidentally, it is Princess Estaire’s favorite.” Lawrence said.

I nodded. I liked the same tea as Princess Estaire. Cool.

            “That reminds me. Estaire has informed me that preparations for her fifteenth birthday have begun. There will be a ball in two days and Princess Estaire has personally invited you. She also mentioned that you were allowed to bring your friends. Would you like to attend, sir?” Lawrence asked.

I grinned even wider. I was invited to Princess Estaire’s birthday ball. I was even allowed to bring the others!

            “I’d certainly like to attend.” I said through my grin.

Lawrence bowed.

            “Very well sir. I shall inform the servants that are assigned to your friends that they are permitted to go to the ball. They will get your friends proper attire. I shall do the same for you, sir.” Lawrence said.

            “Thank you so much, Lawrence.” I said sincerily.

            “It is my job to serve you as best I can.” Lawrence said humbly.

Lawrence walked out of the room. I decided to go to the dining hall and get something to eat. I walked out of my room and went down the stairs, passing through the main entryway. I reached the area between the two sets of stairs. I looked down to the ballroom and saw various people standing outside the ballroom, decorating the entrance with roses and red streamers. They were probably getting ready for Estaire’s birthday ball. I turned around and turned left to the dining hall. I walked through the door to see that Lawrence was already talking to the other servants. Man, this guy was good. As I sat down, I also noticed that Tabatha was back in her witch clothes. Her hat, tunic and skirt were black with green trim. The other servants walked away from Lawrence and whispered into their assignments’ ears. Stella clapped her hand over her mouth, her eyes lit up with joy. I sat down at the table.

            “Redmond! You got us invited to a ball! Thank you so much!” Stella said, barely able to contain her joy.

I chuckled.

            “It wasn’t me, it was Princess Estaire. She invited me and she allowed me to take you all with me.” I said modestly.

            “You managed to charm the princess. Nicely done.” Ceberus said jokingly.

I scoffed.

            “Please. I bumped into her and knocked her down. Plus she’s a little young for me.” I said with a laugh.

            “Smooth.” Don shot back.

            “I afterwards was a gentleman and helped her up.” I said, glaring at Don.

Don just grinned.

            “Anyhow, thanks Redmond.” Francella said with a grin.

            “Oh lord, what will I possibly wear?” Raymond asked in mock panic.

We all laughed heartily at his joke. The mood was significantly lighter than yesterday and the day before. Robert must have informed everyone that there was no longer any danger. Well, other than the fact that we could all be executed if Queen Yuka looked into who we were, but we were in her good will and chances were she wouldn’t.

            “I wonder if I’ll get executed if I dump champagne on some snooty rich guy.” Tabatha said jokingly.

            “That depends, will you use magic to do it?” Don asked.

            “What do you think?” Tabatha said with a smirk.

Don just laughed.

            “You’ll get executed either way, Tabatha.” Erin said with a smirk.

I laughed. It felt good to be with my friends after not speaking with them much for the last few days. I turned my attention to breakfast. While my friends were talking, Lawrence set me a plate loaded with cinnamon buns. There was also a large goblet of water in front of me.

            “These cinnamon buns are delicious! You know, Martha doesn’t even make them as good as this.” William said with a grin.

            “Well, I’ll certainly make a note of that for next time you ask for cinnamon buns.” Martha said, feigning offense.

I took a bite out of one of my cinnamon buns. William was right, these are delicious!

            “Robert, what do you want to do today?” Macalister asked.

Robert thought for a moment.

            “You know, I might go to the training room today.” He replied.

            “Did Xavier give you the grand tour?” I asked him.

            “He did. What about Lawrence? Did he give you the tour?” He asked.

I nodded.

            “Nattallie gave me the grand tour, too.” Tabatha said.

            “I think everyone’s had it.” Stella added.

Looking around the table, I noticed one person I haven’t heard speak in a few days.

            “Where’s Walden?” I asked.

            “Oh, he took a walk, well, fly in the garden early this morning.” Tabatha said.

I had the fleeting suspicion that Queen Yuka took him, but I batted it aside. After all, we were her guests here. Fairy or not, so was Walden.

            “Oh, okay.” I said, still a little suspicious of Queen Yuka.

            “Is something wrong, sir?” Lawrence asked.

I shook my head.

            “It’s nothing.” I told him.

It went quiet as we all enjoyed our breakfast.

            “Jane, can you get me more water, please?” Erin asked, handing her servant the empty goblet.

            “Certainly.” Jane replied with a smile.

She took the goblet and went to the kitchen.

            “What did you do last night, Redmond? I didn’t see you at all.” Don asked.

            “Oh, Lawrence was giving me the tour. I went to bed shortly after. What’d you do?” I asked.

            “I was in the guest lounge. I was playing cards with a warlock named Jesse. Pretty sure he was a dirty cheater.” Don said.

            “A guest lounge?” I asked, intrigued.

            “Didn’t Lawrence show you it on the tour? It’s great! It is new though, it was just finished yesterday.” Don said.

            “Oh, dear me. That must have been in one of the rooms that was being repurposed. My apologies, sir. No one told me it was ready.” Lawrence said.

            “It’s no trouble, Lawrence.” I told him kindly.

            “Hey, I have an idea. Since we all haven’t seen much of each other lately, we could all go to the lounge together.” Erin suggested.

            “That’s a great idea, Erin.” Robert said.

Just then, the doors to the dining hall opened. Walden and Percival waltzed in. Percival was sporting his top hat as usual.

            “Hey fellas! What’d I miss?” Walden asked with a grin, taking a seat at the table.

I saw Martha, Ceberus and William slightly wilt in their seats.

            “Oh, not much. We were all planning on going to the lounge after breakfast. Do you want to come?” Tabatha asked.

Walden laughed.

            “The lounge? Yeah! Sounds like a nifty place.” Walden replied.

            “Great! I’m interested in checking it out, too.” Tabatha said.

            “It’s got cards, a bar, chess, checkers, arm wrestling and a few other games. There’s even live music!” Don said enthusiastically.

            “Sounds neat.” Walden remarked.

Stella grinned.

            “Does anyone want to play cards with me?” Stella asked.

Everyone groaned.

            “Oh, why not? Is it because I kicked all of your butts last time?” Stella asked, still grinning.

Raymond laughed.

            “That’s exactly why I don’t want to play.” He said.

            “Well, that’s a shame.” Stella said.

I ate more of my cinnamon buns and took a swig from my water goblet.

            “What kind of music does the lounge have, Don?” Macalister asked.

            “Oh, they had a pianist when I was there, but there was a band with string instruments playing when I left.” Don replied.

            “Sounds pretty cool.” Robert remarked.

I finished eating my cinnamon buns and downed my goblet of water. After a few more minutes, I saw that everyone else was finished eating, too.

            “Alright, let’s go!” Stella said enthusiastically.



© 2015 Ryan Henderson


Author's Note

Ryan Henderson
Please tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You had me worrying about Walden for a second there man! D:

This chapter has promise of things to come, grammar and everything looks great.

Favorite part: “Oh lord, what will I possibly wear?” Raymond asked in mock panic.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ryan Henderson

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the review! Come the ball, sh!t goes down.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

377 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 7, 2015
Last Updated on April 7, 2015
Tags: Medieval, Vampire, Vampires, Fiction, Fantasy, Teen, Original

Alcingeria


Author

Ryan Henderson
Ryan Henderson

Cobourg, Ontario, Canada



About
I will review your work if you send me a read request, I like to help writers get off of the ground, I will also suggest ideas for your work if needed. Please note that I don't really like poetry... more..

Writing