Alcingeria Chapter Forty: Anticipation

Alcingeria Chapter Forty: Anticipation

A Chapter by Ryan Henderson
"

Anticipation is high for Princess Estaire's ball, for it's only a day away! As Lawrence and Redmond search for things to do, they find that Queen Yuka has captured a few vampire mafia supporters.

"

Chapter Forty Anticipation: I opened my eyes to find the sun streaming through my window, giving the room a warm and inviting glow. Princess Estaire’s birthday ball is tomorrow. I looked across the room to find Lawrence standing behind a trolley stirring a cup of tea silently.

            “Good morning sir, how did you sleep?” He asked.

            “Fine thanks, you?” I asked.

            “I did not.” He chuckled, handing me the cup of tea.

            “What do you mean?” I asked.

            “I did not sleep. We servants are not allowed to sleep very often. We are only permitted to sleep once every two days, however we all get a little nap in when we can. Granted, we cannot let anyone see us.” He said.

            “Who says you’re not allowed to sleep every day?” I asked him.

            “Queen Yuka.” Came his reply.

            “Queen Yuka forbids you to sleep every day!?” I exclaimed.

He nodded.

            “Yes, we cannot disobey the queen. The punishments are quite… Severe.” He stated.

I yawned and stretched. I felt bad for Lawrence and the other servants. They couldn’t go to sleep every night, only every other night. How terrible was that?

            “Would you like something to eat, sir?” Lawrence asked.

I sipped my tea as my stomach rumbled.

            “Yes please.” I replied.

            “Very well. You slept passed breakfast, but lunch should be started by now.” Lawrence said.

            “I slept passed breakfast? What time is it?” I asked, surprised I slept so long.

            “Oh, about noon.” Lawrence said.

I nodded and got out of bed. My eyes fell on the clothes on my nightstand. I quickly finished by cup of tea and set it on Lawrence’s trolley.

            “Thanks for the tuxedo by the way.” I said.

            “You are welcome, sir.” He said.

I walked over to the door and Lawrence opened it for me. I walked out and he followed. I walked down the stairs to the corridor with the dining hall with Lawrence trailing behind me. I cast a look at the door to the ballroom. It was lined with red and blue streamers that were studded with red roses. Above the streamers hung a banner with the words “Happy Fifteenth Birthday Estaire Yuka!” I grinned. The ball promised to be entertaining. I turned back to the dining hall and Lawrence rushed forward and to open the door for me.

            “Thanks Lawrence.” I acknowledged.

He just nodded his head. I stepped through into the dining hall and saw all of my friends sitting at the table, accompanied by their servants behind them.

            “Mornin’ pal!” Walden called when he saw me.

            “Where’ve you been? We missed you at breakfast.” Robert asked.

            “I overslept.” I explained, walking over and taking a seat next to Robert and Macalister.

I looked around the table and saw Tabatha and Don sitting next to each other, talking and laughing. I saw Raymond talking to Francella right next to Don and Tabatha. Francella looked to Don and snickered.

            “How’d you sleep?” Macalister asked me.

            “Good, you?” I asked.

            “Good. I think I’ll go to the lounge today.” Macalister replied.

            “I’ll go with you, make sure you stay out of trouble.” Robert told him.

            “I don’t think I’ll go to the lounge for a bit. I think I’ll take a walk in the garden or something.” I said.

            “Nattalie told me that she is friends with one of the witches in Queen Yuka’s court. She said that her friend would help me practice magic today!” Tabatha said with joy.

            “That’s great Tabatha, but don’t you think you’re good enough at magic already?” Don asked.

Tabatha scoffed.

            “No! I have barely scratched the surface of my ability as a witch. To be honest I only know a few spells.” Tabatha told him.

            “Hey guys, Princess Estaire’s birthday ball is tomorrow!” Stella reminded us excitedly.

            “I know, it should be fun!” Raymond said.

            “We can act all rich and snooty and no one will judge us!” Francella joked.

Raymond chuckled at his friend’s joke. My stomach rumbled.

            “So what’s for lunch?” I asked.

            “They haven’t brought it out yet.” William answered, pushing his blond hair out of his eyes.

            “The cooks should be bringing the meal out momentarily.” Victor, Raymond’s servant added.

Victor then took a swig from his flask. Sure enough, numerous cooks dressed in the same black and white tuxedos and bowties emerged from the kitchen, pushing metal trolleys loaded with food. They rattled as they were pushed across the floor.

            “There they are.” Jane, Erin’s Servant said, smoothing out a wrinkle in her blue dress.

I noticed that the girls’ servants wore different colors while the boys’ servants wore only black and white. While I waited for a trolley to reach me, I looked to Lawrence.

            “Why are the female servants wearing different colors while the male servants only wear black and white?” I asked in a low voice.

Lawrence expression turned bitter for the first time since I met him.

            “Queen Yuka favors the girls over the boys. She gives them more freedom with everything. I would even go so far as to say that she dislikes boys.” Lawrence said, his tone as bitter as his expression.

The trolley arrived at my place at the table, pushed by a young boy wearing the black and white servant uniform.

            “What would you like mister? We have steamed vegetables, wild boar and chicken.” He said.

            “I’ll take a little of everything please.” I said.

            “Coming right up!” The boy replied, reaching a low shelf on the trolley and grabbing a plate.

He loaded the plate with a little of everything he listed. While he did so, a servant filled a glass with water and set it in front of me. The boy put my plate in front of me as well.

            “Enjoy.” He said, adjusting his bowtie.

            “Thanks.” I said with a grin.

I started eating the boar meat that was on my plate. The familiar thick, meaty taste filled my mouth.

            “Sweet! I love boar!” Walden exclaimed from his seat, digging into his boar meat.

I washed the taste of the boar down with some of the water in front of me.

            “My compliments to the chef!” Ceberus exclaimed.

            “Indeed.” William chuckled, taking another bite of his meat.

I ate some of my steamed vegetables as well as some chicken.

            “Do you like the meal?” Xavier, Robert’s servant asked, briefly scratching his head and slightly displacing his blond hair.

            “It’s perfect, thanks Xavier.” Robert replied.

I saw Merrietta, Martha’s servant lean down and whisper something in Martha’s ear.

            “No thank you, Merrietta.” Martha replied kindly.

The room went silent as we all continued eating lunch. I ate more of my boar, savoring the thick and meaty taste. I finished the boar and soon finished the chicken. I took a drink of water.

            “Hey, that’s a nice necklace Merrietta.” Stella said.

Merrietta placed a hand on her necklace.

            “Oh, why thank you.” She said, as if surprised that she was addressed by someone other than Martha.

I finished eating my vegetables and downed the rest of the water.

            “Well, I should be going now to practice my magic. If you’ll excuse me…” Tabatha trailed off, getting up and leaving the room with Nattallie in tow.

            “Graham, that’s a nice watch.” Macalister said, eyeing his servant’s pocket watch.

            “Thank you, Macalister.” He said with a grin.

Don got up, his chair squeaked across the floor as he did so.

            “I’m going to the lounge again. Robert, Macalister, Redmond? You coming?” Don asked.

I shook my head.

            “I’ll come later. Go have fun.” I said.

            “I’m coming, wait up.” Robert said, getting up and joining Don.

Macalister trailed silently after them. The three of them left the room. Their servants left the room to do something else because they weren’t needed at the lounge.

            “I suppose I’ll go find something to do.” I said, getting up.

            “Okay. See you later Redmond.” Francella said.

I lifted my hand in a small wave and turned around. I walked across the room and walked through the door. Lawrence was already walking behind me.

            “What would you like to do, sir?” Lawrence asked me.

            “Well, I have a few hours to kill until I go to sleep, then tomorrow is Princess Estaire’s birthday ball.” I said casually.

Lawrence snapped his fingers in frustration.

            “Shoot! I forgot my gloves in the servants’ quarters. I will return momentarily.” Lawrence said, walking back towards the corridor that held all of the rooms including the lounge and the blacksmith shop.

I laughed quietly to myself. I hadn’t seen Lawrence screw anything up since I’ve known him. I heard the clicking of heels behind me. They were quiet at first but got louder as they grew closer.

            “Oh, Mister Bradford!” I heard a familiar voice exclaim.

Right as I turned around I saw Princess Estaire quickly tuck a book bound in worn, brown leather behind her back.

            “Please, call me Redmond.” I said.

            “Okay, Redmond. Sorry.” She said quickly.

She seemed to be flustered or stressed about something.

            “Is something wrong?” I asked.

Estaire ran her hands through her short, black hair, widening her eyes.

            “Yes, yes everything’s fine. It’s just those birthday planners. It’s annoying to have someone in my face everywhere I turn, asking me what color I want this, or where I want that. It’s just so… Annoying!” Estaire said.

She took a breath and calmed down a little.

            “I just stepped out for some quiet. Anyway, will I be seeing you and your friends at my ball tomorrow?” Estaire asked.

I grinned and nodded.

            “Yes, definitely. All my friends and I are all very excited. Thanks for inviting us.” I said gratefully.

            “Oh, it was the least I could do. You were a gentleman and I wanted to repay you for it.” Estaire replied with a smile.

            “Well, thanks.” I said.

            “Estaire! Can you come here please?” I heard a man call.

Estaire’s shoulder’s sagged and she groaned.

            “I’m needed once again. I suppose I should be getting back.” She said in disappointment.

She turned away from me. As she did so I notice that when her back was to me, she quickly transferred her book to her front so I couldn’t see it.

            “Er… Estaire!” I called. She stopped and looked over her shoulder.

            “What’s in that book?” I asked in curiosity.

She flashed a small smile.

            “Oh, this? It’s nothing.” She said. Estaire turned and walked back to the ballroom where she was needed. I didn’t ask any further questions, but I was more than a little curious. She acted strange whenever I asked about it and she always made an attempt to hide it around people. I then heard Lawrence walking back towards me. I turned to see that he had his white gloves on.

            “Here we are. Who were you talking to?” He asked.

            “Princess Estaire.” I replied.

            “Really?” He asked.

            “Yes, she just came out of the ballroom for some peace and quiet. She said that she was being overwhelmed by the party planners.” I said.

            “Interesting… Anyhow I-“ Lawrence was cut off my a group of ten men all wearing the Vulrock Law Enforcement uniform. Each of them was pushing a restrained prisoner along.

            “Looks like Escar was good for his word!” A guard exclaimed.

One of the guard’s glance snapped to Lawrence and I.

            “Move along. Nothing to see here.” He barked.

The prisoners that the guards brought in didn’t put up a fight. There was a mix of men and women at a range of ages from late teenager to early adult.

            “Florence Escar… That was the name of the man that Queen Yuka’s guards brought in the other day!” Lawrence whispered to me.

            “I know. These prisoners are probably the people that Queen Yuka forced Florence to rat out.” I said as I watched the guards shove their prisoners towards the throne room.

            “Realistically speaking, there are probably more to come.” Lawrence said as the guards pushed their prisoners through the corridor door and out of sight.

I shuddered as I imagined the fate that awaited them beyond those doors.



© 2015 Ryan Henderson


Author's Note

Ryan Henderson
Please tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

442 Views
Added on April 7, 2015
Last Updated on April 7, 2015
Tags: Medieval, Vampire, Vampires, Fiction, Fantasy, Teen, Original

Alcingeria


Author

Ryan Henderson
Ryan Henderson

Cobourg, Ontario, Canada



About
I will review your work if you send me a read request, I like to help writers get off of the ground, I will also suggest ideas for your work if needed. Please note that I don't really like poetry... more..

Writing