Alcingeria Chapter Thirty Six: Florence Escar

Alcingeria Chapter Thirty Six: Florence Escar

A Chapter by Ryan Henderson
"

Redmond follows the guards who brought the man into the castle and learns that the man possesses information on the vampire mafia in Valgate. The question is, how will Queen Yuka get it out of him?

"

Chapter Thirty Six Florence Escar: Lawrence and I watched as the law enforcement officers dragged the man towards the hallway that led to Queen Yuka’s thrown room. I made a snap decision. Curious, I crept out of the ballroom after the guards passed the door.

“Sir! What are you doing!?” Lawrence said in a strained whisper.

I gave no explanation. They opened the door that led into the hallway and I slipped inside right as it shut, leaving the door between Lawrence and I. I silently crept along the side of the hallway. If those guards turned around, I’d be a dead man. I stayed quiet. Thankfully, the guards were so focused on subduing the man’s struggles that they didn’t notice me. They reached the door on the end of the hall. The door that led to Queen Yuka’s throne room. They opened it and pushed the man through, following him. I stayed behind one of the guards so that Queen Yuka or anyone else in the room wouldn’t be able to see me. I moved to the side of the hallway right as the throne room doors shut. I was now able to listen in on the conversation without being seen.

            “Bow, you rat!” One of the guards said roughly.

            “Your majesty, this man has been convicted of aiding and abetting the vampire mafia in Valgate.” One of the other guards said.

There was a brief silence as Queen Yuka took this in.

            “The vampire mafia? We have been working to apprehend them for nearly a week.” Queen Yuka stated.

            “Indeed, your majesty. With the knowledge that this man possesses, we will be able to apprehend and execute the vampire mafia of Valgate.” One of the guards said.

            “Boy, what is your name?” Queen Yuka asked.

            “Florence. Florence Escar.” The man said quickly.

Queen Yuka chuckled quietly.

            “Florence. I will put forth a proposition. You may retain the information at the cost of your own life, or you can share it with us and you will be allowed to live.” Queen Yuka said.

            “Y-your majesty, you don’t understand!” Florence protested.

            “I don’t understand what exactly?” She asked.

            “If I tell you who I know is in the mafia and you allow me to live and return me to the city, I’ll be lynched by someone who I don’t know is with the mafia! I’ve been told that countless human civilians here in Valgate have mafia connections, I’ve been told countless vampires across Vulrock have mafia connections, and I’ve even met some of the members of the mafia here in Valgate. I was never told the identities of the highly ranked mafia members!” Florence said.

            “Mister Escar, I’m afraid that it is your problem. Now, tell me all you know of the vampire mafia and I’ll let you live.” Queen Yuka persisted.

            “You don’t understand! I’ll die either way!” Florence protested.

            “You are in quite the predicament, Mister Escar. Now, what do you choose?” queen Yuka asked.

There was a moment of silence as Florence weighed his options.

            “I’ll tell you nothing.” He said.

Queen Yuka just laughed.

            “Very well then, Mister Escar. Although you are only prolonging the inevitable. We will find out who is in the vampire mafia. We will unearth every mafia root in this city, and soon in the rest of Vulrock.” Queen Yuka said.

Florence said nothing. Queen Yuka snapped.

            “Guards, kill this man!” Queen Yuka ordered.

I heard the metallic shing! Of a sword being drawn from its sheath. I heard slow footsteps, probably belonging to the executioner. A few more seconds passed by. With each passing moment, I anticipated a horrific squelch! Indicating the beheading of Florence Escar. Another second passed by…

            “Wait! I’ll tell you!” Florence said in a panic.

Queen Yuka chuckled with satisfaction.

            “Now then. That wasn’t so hard, was it?” Queen Yuka asked.

Florence was silent.

            “Guards, take this man to the interrogation room. If he attempts to escape, kill him.” Queen Yuka ordered.

I heard the guard sheath his sword. I could hear Florence being dragged to his feet. The conversation was now over. It was time for me to scram. I ran back to the door I came in from, opened it, stepped through and shut it as quietly as possible. I ran back to the ballroom where Lawrence was waiting for me. I shut the door as I stepped through, leaning on it and sighing in relief. His hazel eyes brightened in surprise when he saw me.

            “Sir! What happened? I thought that you were captured!” Lawrence exclaimed.

            “The man’s being taken to an interrogation room. He knows some people who are in the vampire mafia, and Queen Yuka wants to know who those people are.” I explained.

            “Did he say anything while he was in the throne room?” Lawrence asked.

I shook my head.

            “Nothing that you didn’t already hear when he was in the entryway.” I told him.

            “Did anyone see you?” He asked.

I shook my head.

            “No, I snuck in. No one saw me.” I told him.

            “Good. Queen Yuka does not take kindly to spies. Unless they are hers.” Lawrence said.

Hearing the word ‘spies’ made me think of Ceberus and William. I made a note to tell Robert and the others about Florence Escar.

            “Sir, would you like to go to your room?” Lawrence asked.

It wasn’t late yet. It was probably only five in the evening. There was nothing else to do, so I nodded.

            “Yes, please.” I said.

Lawrence led me out of the ballroom and back up the staircase to the East of the castle. I found my room without a problem. Just as I was about to open the door, I heard a door shut down the hall. I turned to see Robert walking down the hallway.

            “Oh, Robert. Can I have a word with you?” I asked.

Robert looked puzzled, but nodded.

            “Yes, what is it?” He asked.

I walked over to him.

            “Robert, Queen Yuka’s guards just brought a guy in. His name was Florence Escar. The guards said that he was aiding and abetting the vampire mafia here in Valgate. Queen Yuka ordered the guards to interrogate him. She wants to find out who is in the vampire mafia here in Valgate, and soon in the rest of Vulrock.” I explained.

Robert took this in. He frowned.

            “Alright. That’s hardly anything out of the ordinary. A criminal network has surfaced throughout Vulrock and Queen Yuka wants to expose them. She’d do it to any other criminal organization. Thank you for telling me, though. I’ll tell the others.” Robert said.

“Thanks, Robert.” I said.

“Any time, Redmond. Just keep your eyes out for anything strange. I’ve told the others to do the same. Stella’s talent should come in handy here.” Robert chuckled.

Stella’s talent was sneaking past people and listening in on conversations. The perfect talent for this job.

            “Any sign of dark magic witches or warlocks?” I asked in a low voice.

Robert shook his head.

            “No. I think that we may be in the clear. If Queen Yuka had a dark magic user in her court, she would have used it by now. If she did, there’d be chaos.” Robert said hopefully.

I started to get hopeful as well. If Queen Yuka didn’t have a dark magic user, everything was fine.

            “Well, we’re in the clear except for one thing.” I said.

            “What’s that?” Robert asked.

            “We’ll all be killed if Queen Yuka finds out who we really are.” I said in a voice low enough for Lawrence not to hear.

Robert nodded.

            “Just stay sharp and stick to the cover story. We’ll be fine.” Robert assured me.

            “Alright, You’re right. It’ll all be fine. I’m going to my room now.” I said.

I turned off to go back to my room.

            “I will see you in the morning, sir.” Lawrence said.

I nodded to him and entered my room, shutting the door behind me. I sat down on the bed, putting my dagger and my knife on the bedside table.

            “What a day.” I said out loud.

I wondered what was happening with Florence Escar. Was he still alive? Thoughts of him brought on thoughts of the vampire mafia. I wondered who they were, what they wanted. It was all kind of confusing. We were here at first to get a reward for delivering jewelry to Queen Yuka. We were sort of forced to, but we got the reward. Then our job was to see if Queen Yuka had a dark magic user or even knew about the dark magic within the jewelry. That job looked to be just about over. Now what? There was the matter of not letting my cover slip, but I have that under control. Aside from that, I suppose I should just enjoy the good treatment my friends and I got here. Since we arrived at the castle, I didn’t see much of them. What were they all doing? I made a note to check in on the others tomorrow. I decided to get some sleep. After all, the bed was pretty comfortable. It was warm in here, too. I sat back, closed my eyes and got comfortable.

 

***



© 2015 Ryan Henderson


Author's Note

Ryan Henderson
Please tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Get the feeling they're gonna end up saving the guy somehow, not sure though. Sure he gave Lawrence quite the heart attack lol.

Only one point of suggestion:
queen Yuka asked.
Queen Yuka asked.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

470 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 20, 2015
Last Updated on March 20, 2015
Tags: Medieval, Vampire, Vampires, Fiction, Fantasy, Teen, Original

Alcingeria


Author

Ryan Henderson
Ryan Henderson

Cobourg, Ontario, Canada



About
I will review your work if you send me a read request, I like to help writers get off of the ground, I will also suggest ideas for your work if needed. Please note that I don't really like poetry... more..

Writing