Alcingeria Chapter Sixty Two: Now Is The Time

Alcingeria Chapter Sixty Two: Now Is The Time

A Chapter by Ryan Henderson
"

Our heroes gear up to face off against the dangers that await them below the throne room. They are in for a much bigger surprise than they expected...

"


Chapter Sixty Two Now Is The Time:


Friday July 9th 1690


I woke up to the sound of someone bursting through me door. I sat bolt upright in surprise, fearing the worst. Had I overslept? Had the war begun? The young servant boy dressed in the black and white male servant uniform bowed to me quickly.


            “Forgive me, Mister Bradford, but the Princess requests an audience immediately.” He said quickly.


I jumped out of bed before he even finished his sentence.


            “Thank you for coming.” I said, walking past him and out the door.


I kicked myself for being so paranoid earlier. That wasn’t like me, but I guess the task of stopping a coming war will stress some people out.


I walked down the hall and down the stairs and walked the familiar route to the Princess’s room. The throne room was empty. I walked to Estaire’s room and opened the door, stepped through and shut it being me. I saw everyone else standing in the room, looking to Estaire.


            “Why am I always the last one called?” I asked, attempting to break the nervous tension that hung on the air.


I earned a few chuckles, but nothing much more.


            “I think you all know why I’ve called you here.” Estaire began.


We were silent, waiting for her to continue.


            “Now is the time to attack. Vulrock’s army marches out tomorrow at dawn, it’s now or never.” She went on.


            “We have a plan. I’ll take my men to the weapon storehouses and use the stored explosives to destroy them. When we’re done, we’ll bring more explosives to the others, who will be in the research facility.” Edwin told the Princess.


            “Very good. That saves us some time here.” She breathed, relieved.


            “That’s the plan, now all we have to take care of are the guards.” Macalister growled.


            “Yes, the vampires.” I said, remembering the matter of the vampire guards.


            “Yes. Lucky for you all, my book contains information on vampires.” Estaire told us.


She walked over to her bedside table, opened the drawer and retrieved her brown book. She flipped through it and found the page she was looking for. She read aloud.


            “The vampire is an ancient being. No one knows exactly how long they have been around, but eye witness reports that are some millennia old have detailed a blood sucking monster in human form. They are made to kill. Their offensive abilities are superhuman senses. They are capable of running many times faster than a human. They are many, many times stronger than a human as well. They have razor sharp fangs, which they use to break the skin and draw blood, usually from the neck.” She stated.


            “Do they have any weaknesses?” Erin asked.


            “Yes. They can be killed by a wooden stake piercing their heart. They have a weakness to holy water and garlic, but they don’t kill vampires. Holy water and garlic cause severe burning when in contact with vampire skin. They are also extremely weak against silver, especially silver bullets or silver weapons, however refined silver found in jewelry will do the trick. Silver does not kill them, but it weakens them if they are near it. Silver also creates a protective barrier around whoever has it. It will hold vampires back for the most part, but they are able to push through it if they really try. If they come into contact with it, the silver will burn their skin much like garlic or holy water, but silver is much more effective. Wounds inflicted with a silver weapon will not kill a vampire, but they will severely weaken as well as severely burn the vampire. They also have a weakness to fire, and obviously, sunlight.” Estaire continued.


Don began laughing, he doubled over and held his stomach.


            “You’re telling us that garlic hurts vampires?” He laughed.


            “Yes. What’s so funny?” Stella asked.


            “It’s just that… A vampire could kill a person in seconds, and all the person would need to do is… Shove garlic in its face? Like, come on!” Don said, barely containing his laughter.


Walden joined him in laughing. His laugh was high pitched, like his voice.


            “Pal, that’s too good.” He laughed.


            “I wonder what Ignacio would have to say to that?” I asked with a grin.


Robert Don and Macalister laughed, the others didn’t get it.


            “Guys, now’s not a really good time for joking.” William told us.


            “You’re right. Do we have any garlic?” I asked.


            “I can order some from the kitchen.” Estaire told me.


            “Holy water?” Antoinette asked.


            “I’ll run into the city and get some from the chapel.” Darwin said.


            “Silver?” Martha asked.


            “I have some silver jewelry, but not much. If you are splitting up into groups, make sure there is someone in each group with silver.” Estaire advised.


            “You’re the Princess of Vulrock, and you’re telling us you have a shortage of silver jewelry?” Stella asked.


            “Most of my jewelry is made of diamonds or gold.” Estaire shot back.


Stella laughed, but said nothing.


            “I’ll be back in fifteen minutes.” Darwin said as he walked out the door.


            “Stella, would you go and get some garlic from the kitchen? Tell them I sent you.” Estaire told her.


            “Sure.” She replied as she got up and left the room.


            “Do we have any wooden stakes?” Antoinette asked.


Estaire nodded and walked over to the corner of the room. She kneeled down and removed one of the stone floor tiles! She reached in and removed several small stakes. They were about three centimeters in diameter and they were about a foot long.


            “I raided my mother’s supply. She keeps stakes hidden throughout the castle in case some of the vampires under her command decide to rebel and attack.” Estaire explained.


            “That’s so cool!” Erin exclaimed.


We all walked up and took a stake. There were two more left, one for Darwin and one for Stella. That sure was lucky. We waited a few more minutes and Stella returned from the kitchen with two large baskets full of garlic.


            “The kitchen couldn’t spare much more than this.” Stella explained.


            “No, that’s perfect. Thank you.” Estaire replied.


Stella set the baskets by the stakes. She saw the open space beneath the tile but didn’t ask. Stella saw that we all had stakes so she took one herself. A few more minutes later, Darwin came through the door carrying a burlap sack containing several flasks of holy water. He saw that we all had stakes and took the last one for himself. He put the burlap sack by the garlic.


            “Now, I should warn you all.  Wooden stakes have a one time use. Once the stake pierces the vampire’s heart, the stake is destroyed along with the vampire. Use these carefully and only when you need to.” Estaire told us.


            “That’s good to know, thanks.” Tabatha replied.


            “You should all arm yourselves.” Estaire said, looking to the garlic and the holy water.


We each took some of the garlic and a flask of holy water.


            “Good. I won’t be with you all when you launch your attack, but I will assist you in any way I can.” Estaire explained.


            “How would you do that?” Walden inquired.


            “If I notice any guards coming your way, I’ll stall them as long as I can. You know, with my feminine charm.” Estaire said with a wink.


            “Good to know.” I remarked.


            “Oh, one last thing.” Estaire said.


She walked over to her vanity and retrieved a few pieces of silver jewelry.


            “Give the jewelry to the people who can’t defend themselves as easily as the rest of us.” Robert told her.


Stella and Erin hung their heads and held their hands out almost reluctantly. Estaire gave them each a small silver crucifix on a silver chain. They looked at her puzzlingly.


            “They were gifts.” Estaire explained.


            “Who else needs silver?” I asked.


            “I’ll take some.” Edwin said.


Estaire gave him a silver bracelet, which he put on.


            “I have two more pieces of jewelry.” Estaire told us.


We all looked to each other, deciding who to give the silver to.


            “You should give one to Tabatha.” Don suggested.


            “What? I can defend myself just fine!” Tabatha objected.


            “Tabatha please, I don’t want you to get hurt.” Don reasoned, squeezing her hand.


Tabatha rolled her eyes and held her hand towards Estaire. The Princess gave her a pair of silver earrings. Tabatha put them in.


            “Thanks.” Don said with a grin as he kissed her on the lips.


            “The last of the silver should go to Ceberus.” I suggested.


Ceberus shook his head.


            “No, Martha should have it.” He objected.


            “Ceberus, please wear it. You need to be kept safe.” Martha told him.


            “You need protection more, dear. I can defend myself, you… Well… Can’t.” Ceberus said with a small smile while he gripped his musket.


Martha realized she was defeated in that argument and Estaire gave her a silver bracelet. She put it on. There was a brief silence as we all tried to figure out what to say.


            “Okay, we’re ready to go. Where are the weapon storehouses?” Edward asked.


            “The weapon storehouses as well as the research facility are on the same level. Go to the throne room and face the thrones. Go to the back wall. The seventh tile going down the left wall is the key. Push it firmly. It will open a passageway with a staircase leading to the main underground corridor. On the left are the weapon storehouses, on the right is the research facility. My mother is speaking with the troops outside the castle, so you won’t be caught by her.” Estaire explained.


We all nodded. A pit of fear and excitement was in my stomach. We were going to do it. We had to. We had to stop this war.


            “Thank you Estaire.” I said.


            “You’re welcome. I wish you all the best of luck.” Estaire said seriously.


            “Luck? Ha! We don’t need luck, we have me!” Walden boasted.


            “Thank you, Princess.” Francella said.


            “You’re welcome, Tom.” Estaire said slyly.


That threw me, I was confused.


            “Tom? Did I miss something?” I asked.


            “Oh, it’s nothing.” Estaire shrugged innocently while looking at Francella.


I looked to Francella to see that he was blushing under Estaire’s gaze. He looked away. I was confused, but didn’t care to inquire further.


            “Okay then…” I trailed off.


            “Let’s go.” Raymond urged.


We all walked out of the Princess’s room. We were in the throne room. We did as instructed and faced the thrones. We went to the back wall. We counted the tiles going down the left wall. I reached forward and pressed it firmly as Estaire has instructed. A rumbling sound could be heard as a section of wall that was five feet across and seven feet high retracted into the ceiling. There were no mechanisms or pulleys involved, it must be the work of magic. A staircase going downwards was revealed, torches burned on the walls.


            “Get ready, vampires are most likely lurking down there.” Edwin warned, his brown eyes narrowing.


We all readied our stakes.


            “Remember, Estaire said that the stakes are a one time use.” Raymond reminded us.


            “When the stakes are in short supply, we’re going to need to rely on your fire, Walden.” Francella told him.


            “No problem.” Walden said confidently.


We stood near the top of the stairway. It wasn’t narrow and was wider than the doorway was. I guessed it was about eight feet across.


            “Stella, Erin and Martha, you three need to get behind us. Your silver will weaken the vampires from a distance.” I said.


            “Good idea.” Erin responded as her, Stella and Martha got behind everyone else.


            “Walden, Antoinette and Tabatha, we need you up front.” Robert ordered.


            “Aye aye, cap’n!” Walden exclaimed as he Tabatha and Antoinette got in front of us.


            “The rest of us will support you three.” I told them.


We then began walking down the staircase. When we made it about ten feet down, the hidden door closed up behind us. It was then that a vampire rounded the corner at the bottom of the staircase! His eyes were blood red. An expression of shock came over him, then it turned to determination. He ran at us.


            “Hellish Nightmare!” Antoinette cried, pointing her wand at him.


He stopped short, his eyes darted around and he pivoted on his feet very quickly. He began screaming unintelligible phrases. His blood red eyes were wild with fear! He then began to kneel down, and then he laid down on the ground. The combination of the power of Estaire’s silver jewelry and Antoinette’s spell must have done quite the number on him.


            “Fireball!” Walden shouted.


A fireball shot out from his hands and engulfed the vampire, in seconds he was reduced to ashes.


            “Do you think the rest will be that easy?” Antoinete asked.


            “Not even close.” Edwin replied.


            “Didn’t think so…” Antoinette muttered.


            “There shouldn’t be too many. Queen Yuka wouldn’t risk having too many vampires to handle in case things went south.” Darwin remarked.


            “That’s good to hear.” Martha said hopefully.


We continued onwards, pressing farther down the staircase.  We reached the bottom without any more trouble. We came to a wide corridor. About twenty feet wide and sixty feet long. There were three doors on the left and one on the right. Farther down the corridor I noticed a door at the very end.


            “Estaire said that the weapon storehouses are on the left.” Francella remarked.


            “Yes, does everyone have a weapon? If not, now is the time to arm yourself.” Robert told us.


I looked to everyone in the group. They all had stakes, garlic, holy water and some kind of other weapon like a blade or a firearm. Even Francella, Raymond and the girls had long knives.


            “We raided the blacksmith shop in the throne room corridor.” Stella explained.


            “How in blazes did you get in unnoticed?” Ceberus asked, baffled.


            “I can sneak into a room and listen to conversations without being noticed, remember? I overheard some of the blacksmiths talking about the weapon stockpile in the throne room corridor so I went there and brought us back weapons.” She explained further.


            “Good enough for me.” Robert said with a shrug.


We all looked at each other, knowing full well that any one of us might not come back alive from this.


            “You’re all very brave. I thank you for helping us stop the war and avenge our Captain.” Edwin said, holding out a hand to Robert.


            “Captain Baldwin was our friend too. Allowing him to die in vain was out of the question.” Robert said, shaking Edwin’s hand.


            “Stopping the war is the best way to honor him.” Darwin said gravely.


            “Not ta mention it’s the only way to save Alcingeria from chaos.” Walden remarked.


            “That too.” Edwin laughed.


The time for talking was over, it was time to stop a war.


            “Men, let’s move out! To the weapon storehouses!” Edwin commanded.


            “Remember, bring the explosives to the research facility when you’re done!” Robert told him.


            “We will. If you run into trouble, hold out as long as you can. My men and I will be there with the explosives as soon as possible.” Edwin replied.


            “Try not to blow yourselves up.” Macalister warned.


            “Not to worry. Ever since the development of dynamite, the Queen said that she had all of her weapon storehouses reinforced with metal. Minimal harm will come to the room itself, but the weapons inside… Not so much.” Edwin explained.


            “Okay, take care of yourselves.” Robert told them.


            “You do the same.” Edwin replied.


With that, Edwin took his men into the first weapon storehouse.


            “Don’t you guys think it’s a bit odd that there aren’t more vampire guards?” Erin asked.


            “Yeah, it is a bit weird…” Walden remarked.


            “I don’t think anyone was expecting anyone to be breaking into the underground research facility, or the weapon stockpiles.” I said.


            “We caught ‘em by surprise! The fools won’t even know what hit ‘em!” Walden cackled.


Ceberus then pushed open the heavy metal door to the research facility. On the other side was a sight that made my stomach drop, a sight so frightening even Macalister was trembling. Standing at the other end of the room were three rows of vampires, each about ten men long and one deep. Standing behind them all was Alice. A tiny smile of amusement turned her lips upwards.


            “I don’t think we caught them by surprise…” Macalister trailed off.




© 2015 Ryan Henderson


Author's Note

Ryan Henderson
Please tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

360 Views
Added on June 7, 2015
Last Updated on August 30, 2015
Tags: Medieval, Vampire, Vampires, Fiction, Fantasy, Teen, Original

Alcingeria


Author

Ryan Henderson
Ryan Henderson

Cobourg, Ontario, Canada



About
I will review your work if you send me a read request, I like to help writers get off of the ground, I will also suggest ideas for your work if needed. Please note that I don't really like poetry... more..

Writing