Chapter 13

Chapter 13

A Chapter by Tiff-AH!-knee�

 The next morning, Father offered to give Joshua a ride to school and told me to call him. So I walked to the telephone, but then realized I didn't know Joshua's number. “Father,” I called. “I don't know Joshua's number!”

        He yelled the number back and having done this a thousand times, I knew which number was where, and dialed Joshua's number. It rang twice. 

        Then Joshua answered. “Hello?” 

        “Um...hey.”

        “Izzy!” He yelled enthusiastically. Why was he so excited to talk to me lately?

        “Hey...um...Father wants to know if you want a ride to school...?”

        “Sure! Let me tell my mom!” He yelled to Mrs Dillinger. “Mom! I'm getting a ride from Izzy's dad!” I heard Mrs Dillinger in the background yell “okay!” 

        “Okay,” He said. “So...Izzy?”

        “Yeah?” I asked.

        He hesitated. “Um... never mind I'll tell you later.”

        “Alright. I'll uh...see you soon.” I said.

        “Okay. See you.” Click.

        “Father!” I called. “I'm ready!”

X.X.X

 

        We pulled up to Joshua's house, or so I assumed since we were stopping, and he immediately opened the back door. He must've been waiting outside. 

        “Hey Izzy, hey Izzy's dad.” Joshua said. 'Dad'...weird. 

        “Call me Dean.” Father corrected.

        “Dean.” Joshua tried it out on his tongue. I laughed.

        “So how's your mom been lately, Joshua?”

        “Oh, she's been just fine. Mrs French is coming over everyday and helping us get things set up. Mom likes her a lot.” Mrs French was about eighty years old. 

        “I knew she would.” Father laughed. “You tell your mom that if she ever needs help to call me. Sometimes you just need a man's hand.” 

        “I'll be sure to do that.” Joshua laughed. Good manners, Joshua. Laugh at things my father says when they're not funny. He'll like you more. I smiled at the thought.

        “So Izzy told me about the incident with the kid named Nathan.” My father said. “That's a nice shiner you got there.” 

        “Well, you should see the other guy.” Joshua said. They both laughed.

        “Seriously though,” Father said. “thanks for standing up for my little girl.”

        I crinkled my nose when Father used the term 'little girl'. Joshua chuckled. 

        “No problem, sir. Anytime.”

        “Well I'm pretty sure no one else plans on pushing me, so I won't need any more standing up for.” I entered the conversation.

        “We'll see baby girl, we'll see.” Father said. 

        We pulled to a stop and Father wished us a good day of school.

        “Okay, Father. Don't worry. I'll be good.” I called backwards.

        “Joshua?” My father called.

        “I got her, sir. Don't worry.” Joshua called back.

        Father pulled off and we stood motionless for a minute. “So...you got me, huh?”

        He laughed. “Oh, shush. Come on, we're going to be late.”

        I laughed and followed the sound of his footsteps into the school.




© 2009 Tiff-AH!-knee�


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on October 27, 2009
Last Updated on November 4, 2009


Author

Tiff-AH!-knee�
Tiff-AH!-knee�

SWINEFLU,, ME



About
My name is TIffany. I love to write. My favorite poets include Edgar Allan Poe, and Emily Dickinson. I'm not going to lie, I enjoy Shel Silverstein as well. :) I won my fourth grade poetry contest.. more..

Writing