Chapter 14

Chapter 14

A Chapter by Tiff-AH!-knee�

 Saturday morning I woke up to clanging and banging. When I walked downstairs I heard Father talking to himself so I assumed he hadn't seen me yet. He was mumbling something about the stove being stubborn. 

        “Um...dad?” I tried out the word. It felt funny. I was so used to 'Father'. 

        “Dad? Since when do you call me dad?” Father asked.

        I shrugged. “I was just experimenting.”

        “Ah.” He said. Then more clanging. 

        “What are you up to?” I asked.

        “Um...it's kind of embarrassing,” I waited for him to go on. “I was going to make some cookies for you to bring to Miss Dillinger.” He said sheepishly.

        “Oh. Is that really her name?”

        “You've always known her name.” He stated. He sounded worried.

        “No, I mean, is it miss or mrs?”

        “Miss.” He sounded relieved. “There is no ring on her finger.” 

        “You look at her fingers?” I asked.

        “Only sometimes.” 

        “Dad, that's...really weird.” I laughed.

        He laughed too. “Well, it's not coming along very well anyway, so...it looks like Miss Dillinger won't be impressed with my amazing cooking skills.”

        “You mean your mac n' cheese?” I laughed. “Anyway, never make cookies and give them to Miss Dillinger. Her cookies are amazing, and yours would look kind of funny sitting next to hers. I mean, I'm sure she's appreciate it, she's just a really good cook.”

        Father, uh...Dad, laughed. “Yeah, I guess. Maybe I'll make her my Mac n' cheese sometime.”

        “Okay, what time are we leaving?” I asked.

        “After Grandfather wakes up and I give him his medicine.” 

        “How is grandfather doing?” I asked. I hadn't seen Grandfather much, maybe I'd visit him when I was done painting at Joshua's. 

        “Oh, he's been tired a lot, is all.” 

        “Oh, alright.” I walked out of the room and back to my own. I clicked on the radio and listened to a song called “Smile” of which I had only listened to once. After listening to a few more songs, ones that I couldn't place names on, Dad told me it was time to leave. I turned off my radio and followed him to the car. 

        Once inside, I kept the radio off because I wanted to talk to Dad. I wanted to ask him what was actually wrong with Grandfather, I wanted to demand that he tell me.

        But nothing escaped my mouth. 

        And so we rode in silence.

        When we drove up to Joshua's house, Father stopped the car and said “Okay, kid. We're here. Have fun, I love you.”

        “Love you too, Dad.”

        I got out of the car and tried to remember the path to the front door.

        “Hey bud?” Dad yelled out of his car window.

        I turned towards his voice. “Yeah?”

        “I really like my new name.” I smiled as I heard Dad's car rumbling all the way down the road.

        Miss Dillinger must've heard it too because she came outside, grabbed my hand, and led me to the door, talking the whole way.




© 2009 Tiff-AH!-knee�


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on October 27, 2009


Author

Tiff-AH!-knee�
Tiff-AH!-knee�

SWINEFLU,, ME



About
My name is TIffany. I love to write. My favorite poets include Edgar Allan Poe, and Emily Dickinson. I'm not going to lie, I enjoy Shel Silverstein as well. :) I won my fourth grade poetry contest.. more..

Writing