One

One

A Chapter by Summer'sBreeze
"

It's Number One!

"

Chapter One

Rush River High School

September 29th

9:24 a.m.

 

 “Listen up!” Coach Harrison’s voice boomed over the loud chatter in the school parking lot. “You must turn in your slips for the trip. If you don’t, well that’s fine by me. It means one less student I have to put up with!”

 “He doesn’t mean it like that!” Miss Dana shouted, trying to cover up Coach Harrison’s rudeness.

 “All Rush River seniors, if you’re not on the bus in two minutes we’re leaving your sorry behind here. Paperwork or not.” Coach shouted, breaking through the crowd to enter the bus.

 Behind me murmurs broke through in the crowd.

“Where’s Greg? He‘s the one who drives the bus.”

“He’s not the one driving is he?”

“I think I’ll just stay here.”

“My God! Coach Harrison is going to drive us out into the middle of nowhere and murder us in a ditch!”

 Coach Harrison opened the doors and shouted out. “Don’t tempt me Lance!”

 Once said the students didn’t take another thought and rushed in, not wanting to get on his bad side today.

 I settled down next to Kat, who was leaning her head on the window.

“Okay, what’s wrong.” I asked, knowing immediately this was not the Kat I knew.

 Kat was a badass athlete, whether it was track, softball, basketball, or volleyball it didn’t matter, she could do it all. It was a gift. And it was something she held dearly to.

 She never stood still even in class it was ether toe tapping, pencil twirling…you get the picture.

 She was also my best friend.

But her looking almost half asleep was something alien of Kat. She never slept. It was like she was born with caffeine in her blood.

 Kat groaned, tapping her head lightly on the glass. “I couldn’t sleep last night.”

 “Since when do you sleep?” I joked.

She just gave me a Don’t even start look. “Anyway, now I had this massive headache.”

 “Well I’ve heard they’ve created something for that. It’s called Tylenol.”

This time she laughed. “Tried it. Took six.”

 “What!? Is suicide your next option? Or liver failure or something?”

Kat sighed, leaning back in the seat. “Maybe.” But I knew she was just joking. Kat wasn’t like those kind people.

 Up front Coach Harrison strapped his seatbelt on, and suddenly I wished I had one too.

 “Alright everyone.” Miss Dana announced, stepping to the middle of the aisle so she could address everyone. “First off I want to thank you for sacrificing one of your weekends to- ”

 “Like we had a choice.” Someone murmured and a group of boys in the back cackled like a bunch of animals that they are.

 “To help gain points toward your collage exams.” Miss Dana continued to talk over them. “Now, I must inform you that the trip to the New World Museum will be- ”

 “Boring.” Said someone else.

That got the whole bus cracking up, even Miss Dana showed a smile. “Graded.” She said with a nod. “It’s only boring, Daniel, if you think it’s boring.”

 It’s boring. I think.

I lean back in the seat, beside me Kat snores lightly and with Miss Dana talking and the gently hum of the bus, I soon join her.

 

 

12:13 p.m.

 

Thunk!

 

 I jerk awake, realizing my book bag had fallen. I blink trying to take in my surroundings, Dark, very dark. Well past ten o’clock. The bus jumps every time we hit a hole-well that or a small deer.

 The bus is quiet, which is very strange. No laughing, no joking around, not even the clicking of texts. There’s something about the atmosphere in here that screams fear.

 Up front I hear low talking. I lean a little from my seat to see Miss Dana talking with Coach Harrison and thanks to the silence I could hear pretty well.

 “Jack maybe we’ve taken a wrong turn. Why don’t we turn around. It’s late, well past closing. We’ll never make it now, let’s just go home.” She pleaded.

 Coach Harrison grunted. “Dana, there has to be a town somewhere.”

Somewhere was correct. Outside shadows of thick woods passed by like a bad repeat.

 Movement from the corner of my eye makes me turn to find Kat holding her head in her lap, fingers massaging her temples.

 I place a hand gently on her shoulder. “Is it bad?” I whisper.

She whimpered and replied. “Something doesn’t feel right.” Which sent chills up my back, I had to do something.

 “Miss Dana?” I cleared my throat because my voice sounded no more than a squeak. “Miss Dana?” I said a little louder.

 I saw her shadowed figure turn my way. “Yes?” She answered, searching for the one who called her.

 I flip my phone open so she could see me. “It’s Kat, she’s not feeling well.”

Miss Dana quickly walked over and squatted at our seat. Blue light highlighted my teacher’s face, thin wisps of blond hair fell from where she had it tied back.

 “Sweetie, what’s wrong?” She asked softly.

“My head.” Kat whimpered again. “Also, I’m feeling a bit nauseas.”

 Miss Dana patted her knee. “Don’t worry Kat, we’ll find a place to stop soon.” With that she stood up and went back to Coach Harrison. “Jack we have to find a place and stop.”

 “Where!” Coach Harrison shouted, which made us all jump in surprise. “You want me to stop, fine! Which tree do you prefer?” He said angrily. “Would you like to stop at the Pine, the Elm, or better yet the dead Oak over there!”

 “Jack, calm down.” Miss Dana begged.

  I sensed he was about to say more but a student beat him to it.

“Hey what’s that?” Someone shouted and instantly everyone turned to left side of the widows.

At a distance it was just black on black until two yellow spots shined through the dark.

“What is that?” Someone asked again.

“A deer?”

“No, too big.”

“Coyote?”

“Dude, do you honestly think that’s bigger than a deer?” Someone argued.

“A really big coyote?” They replied.

 Silence fell over the bus again and everyone pressed closer to the glass when we passed by the black object, the two yellow disk following our retreat.

 “Would everyone sit down!” Coach yelled.

But we never had the chance to obey because a black object darted out into our path, crashing into the windshield and shattering the glass.

 Then we were falling.

Screams pierced my ears, maybe even my own, but I don’t remember.

 The world went black.

And my nightmare began.



© 2012 Summer'sBreeze


Author's Note

Summer'sBreeze
please tell me if i made any mistakes

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oooh, perfect opening for this. I like the cliff-hanger ending. I think that's always a great way to end a chapter; it keeps readers turning the pages. :) I can't wait to see where you take the next chapter and the rest of the book as a whole. Keep up the great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Love the supense! I'm readin Chapter 2 as quickly as I can!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Really good chapter! Can't wait till I finish the whole book!

Posted 11 Years Ago


An awesome addition to the story. Am I right to think there is something special about Kat? the beginning was great and so was the ending and I loved some of the sections of light humour in there. Especially the deer/coyote bit:) reading on...

Posted 12 Years Ago


You have great imagery skills, without being too wordy. It was really awesome! There were just a few grammar mistakes but those can be fixed easily. One thing I might suggest is a little bit more elaboration on that thing that was moving in the dark and some work on the ending of this chapter. If you don't want to that's fine, cuz this is amazing either way. Great job!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I loved it! Only a few grammar problems but that can always be fixed.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Perfect opening for this write, although the cliff-hanger ending could've used a bit more work. I had trouble imagining what the black object was, couldn't you at least have hinted me a little to what it was? Just my opinion. Anyways, nice start, really! There were a couple grammar mistakes, but they were only a couple missed comma's, nothing else. Keep up the great work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


That was really great!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oooh, perfect opening for this. I like the cliff-hanger ending. I think that's always a great way to end a chapter; it keeps readers turning the pages. :) I can't wait to see where you take the next chapter and the rest of the book as a whole. Keep up the great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's good I like how you do the time the setting and its a nice rough draft

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JRB
KEEP UP THE WRITES

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

499 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 28, 2011
Last Updated on January 2, 2012


Author

Summer'sBreeze
Summer'sBreeze

Stalking Ally's characters, fighting the rebellion with Katniss, Shadowhunting in the Victorian era, fighting titans, hiding in one of the Bandit's closets, jumping over clouds with Jip, wondering how much more can I fit in th, AL



About
***08/01/14*** Heeelllllooooooooo :D Yep, still here WC! I plan on becoming more active so I'm willing to take any read request just shoot a comment/mail my way to do so. I'll be sure to .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Keys Keys

A Chapter by A. L. Allen