Thirteen

Thirteen

A Chapter by Summer'sBreeze
"

...

"

Chapter Thirteen

 

James entered through the kitchen doors, a cascade scents filled the air and greeted him as he made his way towards the heart of all the activity.

  Men and women bustled here and there while preparing the feast Alec had requested. Clatters of utensils echoed in the kitchen and the quiet murmuring died the second James walked through the door.

  Ignoring their stares, he walked to the closest cook, James sampled a taste from the copper pot. He nodded to the cook with wary eyes. “Add more salt.” He said, moving on to the next.

  In the midst of ruckus he still managed to catch a fleeting glimpse of deep blue.

 He broke away from the cooks, weaving his way through the crowd, and managed to block the door that led into the Dining Hall.

  “Madeline.” He smiled, while one hand held firmly to the door knob behind his back and the other held out as if to embrace the maid. “Where are you off in such a rush.”

  The petite women gasped, almost dropping the tea tray as she scuttled back to keep from colliding into him.

  “Sir!” She gasped, her eyes wide with fright. “Please, Sir, I…I was just bringing Master Alec his evening tea.”

  “She was also following orders.” Said a voice hinted with an English accent, to his left.

  James turned his head to find another maid standing there, one hand one her hip and the other holding a wooden spoon, while her dull colored eyes stared fiercely at him.

  “Natalie.” James said calmly, but the look she gave was as if he used her name like a swear word.

  Still keeping the half smile, he asked. “Who’s orders might I ask?”

“Mine.” She replied, grabbing the door knob from his hand and managing to push him out at the same time. And even then she didn’t give him space when the door closed behind them.

  James’s face became more serious, his smile retreated back into its thin line, and his eyes colder. “I get the feeling you have a bone to pick with me, Natalie.”

  “Damn right I do.” She growled, her echo dancing in the large room while she waved the spoon close to his face. “With you and Master Alec, although I have no power to say-”

 “You’re right,” He snatched the spoon from her hand. “You have no power to say or question anything about whatever our Master commands, and as head servant of Hilton House I command you to know where your place lies.” In one quick motion he snapped the wooden spoon in half. “With the brooms and the mops.” James said, dropping the pieces into her hands.

  With a tilt of his head, his dark eyes bore into hers. “And from now on,” James began. “I shall be watching you to see where your alliances lie from now on.” His whisper turned to more of a hiss at the end.

  But Natalie was a stubborn women and didn’t flinch once under his harsh gaze, her equally fiery eyes never wavered when she poked the broken pieces into his chest.

  “I know where my alliances lie, and it’s not with this cold-blooded murderer! I was proud to serve Fredrick and his family, not his son which evil has corrupted.” Natalie’s gaze soften. “James, even you must see the evil that is going on here. Fredrick would turn over in his grave if he could see what his son is planning.”

  The fiery sting of anger burned out of his eyes. “It’s a new time and a new era.” James replied. “Alec wishes to continue his Grandfather’s legacy.”

  The maid grunted. “I see the same corruption in your good heart, James.” She muttered, but James ignored her, instead he called for Madeline.

  When shyly the small maid opened the door, James took the tray gently from her. “No need for Master Alec to be interrupted by any maids. I’ll just take it to him myself.” He said, turning away from Natalie’s glare, and towards the grand stairway.



© 2012 Summer'sBreeze


Author's Note

Summer'sBreeze
Short. Short. SHORT!

Sorry :( I've had a bit of writter's block lately.

Super duper big thanks to Summer D. for inspiring me to write this chapter :DD

Please tell my if you spot any mistakes and how I can improve!
Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

OMG!!! I can't believe I missed SO much!!! Besides I think it's a pretty good (GREAT) chapter and no mistakes at all. :D

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
1 Review
Added on May 19, 2012
Last Updated on May 19, 2012


Author

Summer'sBreeze
Summer'sBreeze

Stalking Ally's characters, fighting the rebellion with Katniss, Shadowhunting in the Victorian era, fighting titans, hiding in one of the Bandit's closets, jumping over clouds with Jip, wondering how much more can I fit in th, AL



About
***08/01/14*** Heeelllllooooooooo :D Yep, still here WC! I plan on becoming more active so I'm willing to take any read request just shoot a comment/mail my way to do so. I'll be sure to .. more..

Writing