Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by AirieLeva

Mutt’s POV

I bolt upright in bed, shaking off the remnants of the dream. Not entirely understanding it. For a minute there I could’ve sworn that I was in Tartarus, but that’s just hilarious. Not just that, but there’s no way that I would be in there by myself, much less with a girl with golden blonde hair and sky blue eyes.

I had no doubt that I could end up in Tartarus. Just not with a girl, and certainly not for long. Considering I highly doubt that Tartarus could contain my absolute awesomeness. But this dream had been haunting me for weeks. All with the same girl, all in Tartarus. Yet the scenes never gave anything away. Just pain, fear, and love?

I swallow, my throat dry as I close my eyes one last time. Once again seeing the girls sky blue eyes ignite with absolute fear. That’s what had woken me up. Those eyes, so full of fear and horror. But worst of all was the fact that as I had looked into the girls eyes, I had seen my own.

Mirroring her fear, her horror, her pain. But my eyes had held two things that hers didn’t. Mine had held the beginning of insanity. And it had held diminishing hope. While hers, hers still held hope. Mine was lost by that point it seemed.

Shaking my head from side to side I climb out of bed and get dressed. Checking the clock I notice that I had slept in again. Grinning I walk out of my room. Yep, Quinn’s just going to love this. Opening the door to the outside world I am met by my very, very angry sister.

“You’re late. Again,” Quinn says. Her jet black hair fell down past her shoulders, her ocean blue eyes were glowing slightly, the first sign that she was getting mad. Being her twin meant that we shared a lot more than just our looks. But in this case I didn’t need our sibling bond to tell she was angry.

Just about everyone could, I knew this because of the fact that this part of the town was deserted. Her eyes glow brighter, our eyes were the obvious sign that we were children of Poseidon. Though Quinn had a temper that could match Zeus’s. Which was saying something, considering Zeus had quite the temper. Just about anything could make him close to blowing up in anger. It was very saddening at times.

“Sorry,” I say with a smirk. “Seems like someone broke my alarm clock, it’s not working.”

“Did you try, oh I don’t know, setting it?” Quinn asks sarcastically.

I tilt my head to the side, pretending to ponder the question. “Huh. You know, that might actually help. Thanks! You’re a lifesaver.”

Before she could say anything I skip away, heading straight to the Lunch Hall, building 15. That place was practically my second home. Food was life, and I liked food. Oh yes, did I like food.

I had already loaded my plate up with cake, cupcakes, chocolate, pancakes, and just about every other thing containing sugar when Quinn walks in. “Hey sis,” I say around a mouthful of food. I grab my drink and start sipping it, watching her out of the corner of my eye. Wondering if she had come to yell at me again.

“Mutt, we have a new mission. We have a few new demigods that we have to go get,” Quinn says.

This causes me to spit my soda out all over the table. “What?” I ask, looking up.

She glares at me for a second, “Yes. Three new demigods. And before you protest, yes, you are going, so don’t complain.”

I open my mouth as she walks away, about to tell her about my dream. About to tell her that I couldn’t do this. About to tell her about everything I feared. About to spill my soul out to her and hope that she understood. I didn’t though. I couldn’t. This was just something I had to do on my own. I couldn’t burden her with it.

Instead I say, “Can I get their information?”

She snaps her fingers and a folder appears in front of me. Cautiously I open it, swallowing down my nerves. I shut my eyes tightly and inhale a few times, then flip open the folder. Inside was a picture of a boy.


Name: Derek Demos

Parent: Athena

Age: 16

Hair: Black

Eye color: Green with silver and grey

Blessed by: Ares, Hephaestus, Hermes (that we know about)

Powers: G&GGT (God and goddess given traits), control over the elements, invisibility, teleportation, resurrection of himself and others close to him.

HE DOES NOT KNOW THAT HE IS HALF GOD! APPROACH WITH CAUTION!


I frown slightly, this guy didn’t seem much like someone you had to be careful around. Though then again children of Athena are usually always underestimated. I quickly study the picture of him, my body relaxing slightly. Turning the page I am met with a similar type of page. Only this time it was a girl.


Name: Nykole Hellhound

Parent: Hades

Age: 16

Hair: Dark brown

Eye color: Gold… Seem to turn to flame if mad enough.

Blessed by: Zeus, Poseidon, Aphrodite (that we know about)

Powers: G&GGT, Dark magic, Has the powers of Medusa, but they backfire. She is excellent with an ax.

SHE DOES NOT KNOW SHE IS HALF GOD! POWERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL! BE VERY> VERY CAREFUL!


My body relaxes with the knowledge that it was unlikely that I’d even see the girl from my dream. After all there were demigods all over the world. I flip to the last page and freeze, because there she was. The girl from my dreams. The one that had been namelessly haunting me for the last few weeks. My eyes scan the information under her picture.


Name: Moon Dragon

Parent: Zeus

Age: 17

Hair: Golden blonde

Eye color: Sky blue… Black when mad.

Blessed by: Athena, Aphrodite, Kratos

Powers: G&GGT, black magic. The ability to summon weapons, ice and other season powers.

SHE DOES NOT KNOW SHE IS HALF GOD! … AND WE DO NOT HAVE MUCH INFO ON HER EITHER!!! APPROACH AT OWN RISK!!!

I frown at that. So there was something about this girl that even the Athena kids didn’t know, or couldn’t find out. That must be terrible for them. But I couldn’t worry about that now. Because right now I had to do only one thing. And that was to find this girl, and do everything in my power to stop us from having to go to Tartarus.

I stand, my food suddenly forgotten, I hear many gasps of shock over the fact that I left a full plate of food. Which just, never happens, but I ignore all of them. And I leave them all mouths gaping open and eyes wide in shock.

I walk out of the Lunch Hall and head straight for the Poseidon House. I had my bag packed and was ready to go in little to no time.

“Ready,” I say, walking into the living room.

Quinn looks up, surprised. Probably at the fact that I was actually early.

“And why is that? What’s the hurry?” Quinn asks.

I shrug, “No time like the present.”

“Right, ok, well let me go get the others. Meet you by the edge,” she says and heads off. Not fully believing my bad excuse for a lie.
I walk to the edge of town and stare out. Beyond these walls were reality. Where everyone hates one another for stupid reasons. Where there were different races, different languages. Where sides were picked, and alliances were made. Reality, such a funny word. Hiding the true meaning. Reality was just a word to cover up all the others. Because out there, in reality, that was were all the real monsters dwell. Waiting to tear you apart and separate mind from body.

Humans were the only true monsters that one should have to fear. Because it was only humans that stalked their prey and made it so that the only thing they had left was nothing at all. Humans cut out each others souls, their hearts, shattered into nothing.

I could stare down every single monster in the world. Hydras, Minotaurs, Chimera, Hellhounds, Giants, Titans, Cyclops. Any and all of them. Yet, I still had no idea how to stare down a human. Because out of everything in the world one should fear, humanity should be at the top. Yet it’s not.

But the difference between me and every other human, I wasn’t afraid to admit that I was scared. I already knew that this mission was going to end badly. Everything did eventually, and I mean, it’s not like we never have good luck.

Quinn comes up to stand beside me, “Ready?” she asks. She knew how much I hated going beyond these borders.

Past where it was safe, out into the very cruel, and very real world. I force a smile, something that came to me on instinct now. I wasn’t sure if anyone could tell the difference anyway.





© 2019 AirieLeva


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Fox
It's starting off pretty interesting, and I like how you decided to name your characters.
Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Posted 5 Years Ago


AirieLeva

5 Years Ago

Thank you very much!!!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 30, 2019
Last Updated on April 30, 2019

The Forgotten Battle


Author

AirieLeva
AirieLeva

Los Angeles, CA



About
I believe that through books the world and everyone in it can still find hope, even at the darkest of times. The real heroes are the ones that you find within yourself when you and others are in need... more..

Writing
The Moment The Moment

A Poem by AirieLeva