Chapter Fifty-One

Chapter Fifty-One

A Chapter by AirieLeva

Alex

“It’s going to be okay,” I whisper to Mutt. “Everything’s going to be okay.”

He doesn’t even look at me, well he does, but I feel like he was looking through me and not at me. His eyes were wide, the cyan color seemed to be washed out, it was completely dull. The color looking no better than black. Dark and dead.

“Rest now, cherished warrior,” I whisper, touching his forehead. “Be safe in your journey into Paradise.The Underworld awaits thee.”

Finally he looks up at me, his eyes dull, but I had the feeling that he finally saw me. He tries to speak, but instead just gurgles on blood.

“Rest,” I whisper again.

And then I sentence him to death.

۝

“Don’t you worry my sister,” Lachesis says. “It gets easier with time.”

“What do you mean?” I ask. “You think that killing my friends will get easier?

“No,” Clotho says. “She means that killing will get easier.”

I scoff, “Easy for you to say.”

“You must come to peace with this dear sister,” Clotho says.

“Why? What’s so important that I need to learn how to accept death??” I demand.

“Because,” Lachesis says. “The death of the world draws near. You must be ready.”

“To do what?” I ask.

“Sentence the world to death,” Clotho replies.

“What are you talking about? Why would I do that?” I ask.

“Because you have no choice. The one person that could've stopped it is dead. And now Caltaya will take her revenge. Against us all. Until we are nothing but a dead world,” Lachesis says.

“What? I can just bring the person back to life! The world doesn’t have to end!” I shout.

“Ancient laws prevent that,” Clotho says.

“I don’t give a damn about any laws,” I snap.

“You must. The consequences will be far worse than death,” Lachesis says.

“Well if what you’re saying is true, then I’m going to die anyway. So the least I can do is move the process along,” I say, turning and walking out.

“Do not think that just because you don’t fear death that death is untouchable to you!” Clotho calls after me.

“You should know by now, I am death. Literally,” I snap.

“You are not ready to face the consequences!” Lachesis snaps. “NONE of us are. Forget about it! Forget your friends! Forget your life. All you have now is us.”

The words set in, and for the first time in a long time I forget what it was like at Godville. I forgot the smell that came from the Demeter cabin. I forgot the noise of people yelling. Of friendship. I forgot what it looked like. I forgot everything. All that was left was this white noise that filled me up. Drowning me.

I collapse against the side of the house that I had been staying in. Breathing heavily. My hands go on either side of me, palms pressing into the cool siding. I stare straight ahead with wide eyes.

All I could do was try to remember. But the more I did the more I forgot. I forgot the boy that joked around and loved cake. I forgot the love of his life, a girl so full of sadness and strength. I forgot the girl that would do anything for those she cared about; the girl that was so violent to everyone else, but so gentle to her friends and family.

I forgot the boy that relied on lightning. I forgot the boy that was blind, but saw more than anyone else. I forgot his best friend, a girl that could transform into a black panther. I forgot the girl that risked everything to be on the other side. I forgot the boy that wasn’t smart in the sense of wisdom; but in the sense that he cared for others. He knew how they thought.

I forgot of a girl, smarter than Athena herself. I forgot of a girl so betrayed by the world she decided to betray it. I forgot the girl that wanted nothing more than to protect the living and the dead, but unable to do so. Or the girl that held a bow in her hands and death in her heart. And the girls best friend, who died a little everyday because she couldn’t tell her friend the truth.

I forgot of the brother and sister that were trapped on an island. Children of Hecate, but magic had left them. The four children of Enyo that were destined to die for the beliefs of others.

One by one my memories were erased. I forgot. Until there was absolutely nothing left for me to remember. Except being death.

I sink to the floor. Feeling empty. That’s when a star fell down towards me. Shining brighter and brighter until it was just… here.

“Dear Alexandria,” a voice comes from the light in front of me. A voice I knew as Atropos. “This message will come to you when you need it to. For the stars listen and they deliver. You were made for greatness. An Angel of Death. More so than I have ever been. You will be brilliant, and kind, caring. Emotions I never possessed. This life… It will try to take the life that you lived away from you. Do not let it. Your friends will need you once again. Remember Alexandria. Remember who you are.”

The star slowly fades, but the words had taken root in my brain. And they shook something loose and devoured the darkness away from the light. One by one they all came back.

Mutt. Moon. Quinn. James Xavier. Shanadoe. Nykole. Derek. Lenzie. Clato. Ainsley. Astrid. Jordan. Dylan and Baileigh. Jessie, Jet, Jack, and Callie. Their lives came back to me, as fast as they had left. All I could do was stand up again. It was time to right a wrong, and save the world.

۝

The Underworld was silent as I made my way towards the docks. Mutt was still in the hazy space between death. Waiting to be able to enter the world of the dead. I stop walking when I was in the middle of the boat.

Sitting down beside Mutt I reach out to touch his hand. He doesn’t move. The dead couldn’t see the living. And even if I was death I was still alive. I place my hand on his forehead.

“Cherished warrior hear my call, your duty is not over yet at all,” I chant quietly. “I call thee back from the grave, to fight for those he’s vowed to save. Warrior, hear my plea. Rise again and walk the Earth. I hereby sentence you to life.”

With that Mutt’s ghost fades from the boat. I stand up and teleport to Lookers Point. Staring at my town. Mutt slowly sits up as life returns to his body.

“I will accept the consequences of life,” I say. “In place of Matthew Istashax, I agree to suffer.”

Thunder boomed in the sky, showing me that my sisters had heard my words. And whether they were pleased with me or not meant nothing.

Mutt looks around, but when he doesn’t see me, he runs across town to the Hospital House. I take a better look at the cliff. It was still snowing, and the snow seemed to be preserving Mutt’s blood. Etching it into the mountain so it would never disappear.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, Lenzie’s voice spoke to me.

۝

“I heard a story, that you only see the Fate of Death when you were close to dying. And that there was nothing you can do to save yourself. But that she won’t come for you right away. She’ll wait seven days, so that you can say goodbye,” she says. “But that when the Fate of Death sees you living, and yet dead, a piece of her dies away. That piece is gone. But when she must kill someone she knew. A friend. A lover. Family. The piece of her that dies attaches onto the first thing it can find. Preserving the memory of that person.”

Laughter filled the air as Quinn rolled back and giggled. “You just made that up!”

“Did not!” Lenzie says, throwing a pillow at her.

“Did too!” Quinn says, throwing the pillow back, before falling onto the floor laughing. “Everyone knows that’s not true! The Fate of Death is dead! There’s nothing left of her to die, she’s already given it all away!”

“This is a special case! There’s a prophecy!” Lenzie defends.

“Ooo, a prophecy!” Quinn replies. “Imma be shaking in my boots I’m so scared of a prophecy!”

“You joke now, but just you wait. It’ll happen,” Lenzie says.

“Alright, alright, whatever you say Lenz. I believe ya,” Quinn replies.

It was surprising to see that they were both so relaxed… Happy. But we had been twelve at the time. Before we died inside.

۝

Clotho

“She has failed,” I snap, glaring at the sky. “Atropos! You hear me! Your apprentice has failed! She is unable to get rid of her human life!”

“You dare blame her?” Lachesis demands from behind me. “You of all people should know how appealing life can be.”

“SHE HAS NO NEED OF THAT LIFE!” I screech. “SHE HAS US NOW! THIS IS HER LIFE! I WILL NOT LET THOSE BRATS TAKE THAT AWAY!”

Lachesis takes a step back, shocked by my outburst, “And what are you going to do?” She demands.

“Whatever I have to do,” I snarl back.

Lachesis stares at me for a second and then shakes her head, “I will not let you do whatever it is you are planning on doing. I will not let you kill them. They’re destinies are not yet completed.”

“They are now,” I say, walking over the the vault that I kept the Cloth of Life in.

“CLOTHO!” Lachesis shouts. “LISTEN TO ME HERE! I TELL YOU THAT THEY ARE NOT GOING TO DIE! NOT BEFORE THEIR DESTINY IS COMPLETE!”

“Yes! They will die! I will do whatever I have to do to ensure that… imposter doesn’t take my place!” I shout back.

“You chose Daneliya to take your place! You do not get to go back on that now! YOU HAVE SIGNED THE BLOOD OATH!” She yells at me.

“No,” I reply. “I did not sign the blood oath. You did. Twice.”

Lachesis falls back as the news sinks in, “You would dare do that?”

“I am the Fate of Life! And no one will replace me! Soon you will die, not once, but twice. And I will devour your life force as I did Atropos’s and I shall forever be immortal!” I say, laughing. “You cannot kill life and no oath will bind me! For I am free once more! After you die, the Earth will think you are me. And I shall have no code to follow.”

“And then what?” Lachesis demands, eyes wide.

“Then I kill Alex and then I will destroy the world! So that it can be regrown under my leadership! Not that of the gods.”

“This has been your plan all along!” Lachesis cries, pointing at me with an accusing finger. “It was never Clato or Hypnos or any other demigod or god that started this war! It was you!”

“All it took was a simple whisper of hate, and they were ready to follow me! All except that Clato! Who saw right through me! But it didn’t take long to convince everyone that she was the villain. Considering their history,” I say, laughing.

“Clato is innocent?” a new voice asks.

I turn to see a wide-eyed Alex. Staring at me with huge circles in place of her eyes. Full of regret, betrayal, and something more. Something I didn’t recognize.

“You didn’t think that she would turn on you did you?” I ask, laughing. “She loved you! She loved that town! It took years for me to have you turn against her when she wouldn't go against you! And even after what you did! Even after she still refused to join me! And then she lead war against me! Killing her entire army! Her friends! Her family! All dead. And then she decided to take a new approach! She decided to go against the gods! My allies!”

“You turned us against her?” Alex says, eyes flickering from one side to the other.

“Yes, of course I did! I had too! Otherwise she would’ve told you that it was me all along and you would’ve believed her! And now, now it’s too late. Because my people finally found her base of operations. It was hidden, much like Godville. But we found it. And soon they will all be dead!” I cackle.

Lachesis was watching the exchange, but she never made a move to do anything.

“YOU DID THIS?!” Alex shouted. “SHE WAS OUR FRIEND! OUR FAMILY! YOU TURNED US AGAINST HER!”

“I did nothing! If you wanted to you wouldn’t have fallen victim to my persuasion! You would’ve trusted your friend! Your family!” I say, mocking her in the end by mimicking her voice.

Alex bares her teeth at me, and then she closes her eyes and disappears.

“STOP HER!” I shout, and immediately the ground opens up to reveal a mob of creatures that disappear to follow Alex.

“You’re going to send Terrors after her?!” Lachesis demands.

“She needs to be brought back before she can tell her friends anything. I will not allow her to ruin this for me,” I say. “You should understand that.”

“I don’t,” Lachesis replies.

“Then that is on you, not me,” I say. “There is one thing that I must know.”

“What’s that?” she asks wearily.

“Are you with me?” I ask her. “Are you with me or those people that are my enemies? Tell me!”

“You dare make me chose?” she asks, looking at me funny.

“Of course!” I reply. “The better question is this; do you dare to tell me?”

Lachesis stares at me for a second. “I think that you would already know the choice that I would make.”

“The only choice you can make is to stand beside me,” I snap.

“You forget,” Lachesis says. “You are not my only sister.”

“YOU WOULD CHOSE HER OVER ME? OVER YOUR OWN FLESH AND BLOOD? YOU WOULD DARE?!” I scream.

“I already know my destiny. I know how this will end,” Lachesis says, grinning at me. “And I have yet to die.”

With that she leaps at me. Drawing the Sword of Destiny has she does so, slashing it across my stomach before jumping away and disappearing. I fall to the floor, holding my hand against the gash. I inhale sharply.

The Sword of Destiny was known because it had the ability to kill any living person on earth. But she must’ve forgot, I was Life in its purest form. I wasn’t going anywhere.

Inhaling deeply I have the power surge through me. Igniting every single thing inside of me. Healing the wound. I sit up, and walk towards the vault. Unlocking it and pulling out the strings of all of Alex’s friends I cut them at different places. Soon, they would all be dead.

Only then will I truly be free. When they are all dead, and there is nothing left. Nothing left except ashes and bones. Not even a memory.

I will sentence them all to death, and refuse to give them life. And only when they are truly gone and broken shall I restore all that they are. By then it would be too late. By then the world will be gone.

۝




© 2019 AirieLeva


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

20 Views
Added on May 14, 2019
Last Updated on May 14, 2019

The Forgotten Battle


Author

AirieLeva
AirieLeva

Los Angeles, CA



About
I believe that through books the world and everyone in it can still find hope, even at the darkest of times. The real heroes are the ones that you find within yourself when you and others are in need... more..

Writing
The Moment The Moment

A Poem by AirieLeva