Chapter Fifty-Nine

Chapter Fifty-Nine

A Chapter by AirieLeva

Moon


“Clato saved my life?” I say. “That’s actually really weird. Guess it’s true what they say, the impossible really does happen everyday.”

“Clato might have saved us all,” Mutt says. “Really. She sacrificed everything to go and get Manoa. And I have no idea how she was able to get her to agree to help us.”

“But you think that Manoa can save us? And stop… Caltaya?” I ask.

“I know that she can,” Mutt says. “I believe in her. Because she is just like you. And there is no better person that I would trust to save the world. Except maybe me, since I’m so awesome and all.”

“It’s just so strange,” I says. “I mean, can we trust someone who is thought to be so evil?”

“That’s a pretty simple question,” Mutt says with grin. “Do you trust Clato?”

“With my life,” I say immediately, surprising myself a bit.

“Well we all thought that she was evil, but as it turns out, she was just a bit confused. No matter what happened or what she did, you never stopped believing in her, and you didn’t even know her before she went evil,” Mutt says. “That’s why I fell in love with you. Why I still love you. You believe in people who aren’t worthy of that belief. And they become better for it.”

“You really think so?” I ask him, eyes wide and hopeful.

“I know so,” he says with a grin. “Because that’s who you are. The girl I love, always trying to save the world and fix everyone.”

“I’ve been thinking that maybe some people can’t be fixed. Maybe sometimes the best I can do for them is to let them go,” I say.

“I don’t believe that,” he says. “Not one bit. You’re so much better than that.”

“You think so?” I ask.

“I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t think that it was true. The question is, do you believe that?” Mutt asks.

“I do,” I say. “I really do.” And I did. For the first time in my entire life I finally believed in something enough that I couldn’t wait to see what happened next. But I knew what was going to happen. I was going to marry Mutt. Then we were going to save the world, finding ourselves in the process.

۝

The last of the people in the town were able to pull together an acceptable wedding service in less than an hour. The last of Demeter’s kids grew white and red roses. Vines that wrapped around the support beams of the makeshift altar.

Others pulled together a red carpet and some chairs. And some Hecate kids ran out to kidnap a priest and bring them to the town. Though all they really needed to say was that it was a wedding service that was very last minute and he came running.

Guess he too could feel that the end of the world was upon us. Though he acted as though he couldn’t. Instead he gave us some excuse about ‘promoting young love’.

My guess was that the Hecate kids had cast a spell on the poor idiot to make sure that he would marry us. Not that I was complaining. In fact, I completely agreed with it. So long as it meant that Mutt and I were together. That and the Hecate children assured me that it would only last three hours.

“You look beautiful. Absolutely stunning,” Callie says.

I had just met her, but apparently she was a good friend to the original members of Godville. In fact she had helped create it. Her name was Callie Flow Erh, and I could swear that she was named after cauliflower. Not that I would ever say that to her face.

She had a sister and two brothers, Jessie, Jack, and Jet. They were all twin but each had dyed their hair differently to match one other person in the family. But their eyes were the dead giveaway.

“Thank you,” I say smiling.
“Mutt’s very lucky to have you. He couldn’t do better,” she says.

“Thanks,” I say. “That really does mean a lot to me.”

“I know it does sweety,” she says, pulling my hair up into a braided bun. “Just so you know, if you hurt him I will make sure that they never find your body.”

“Because you’d mail me to Antarctica?” I ask nervously.

“In little pieces, one at a time,” she says.

“Oh goodie,” I say with a smile. “I will keep that in mind. I really, really will.”

“Your sarcasm has no effect on me, and will not save you from the ultimate fate that lies ahead of you,” Callie says.

“Oh?” I ask. “And what does that happen to be?”

“You’ll figure it out. You always do.”

I was confused for a second over the fact that she was talking like we had known each other for longer than two hours.

“You’re all set,” she says with a smile. “Get ready to wow him.”

“I don’t think I’d need much help, I already do that,” I say.

“Of course you do,” she says, rolling her eyes and awkwardly patting my shoulder.

“Thanks,” I say with a smile. “I needed that.”

“You know about demigod customs right?” Callie asks.

“Come again?” I say.

“When two demigods get married they merge together their last names, showing that they are bonded by name and soul,” Callie says.

“Aww,” I say. “That’s really cute. How would the new last name be picked?”

“It’s been written in the stars,” Callie says.

“Oh. wow okay, that’s not weird at all. Very original. I was really expecting something different. Really was. I’m really kind of disappointed. So what would be our name?” I ask.

“Shaxon,” she says. “Your name would be Shaxon.”

“I like that name” I say.

“The stars never let us down,” was all Callie said in response.

“Yeah, except for when they allowed the Prince of Stars to die and Caltaya to be born,” I say.

“The stars have a plan for us Moon. It’s not our place to question how, where, or when things are going to happen. Or if those things will be good or bad,” she says.

“Than what is our place?” I ask.

“Yours is walking down that isle and marrying the person you love,” she says. “And mine is wherever the battle leads us too.”

“Even if that is too the grave?” I demand.

“Well it’s not going to lead anywhere else,” she says with a light chuckle. “You’ll see, a lot of good comes out of death.”

“Like what?” I demand.

“I can’t say,” she says. “That’s something that you’re going to have to figure out on your own. And when the time is right and it finally happens you’ll know what I’m talking about.”

“How can you be sure?” I ask.

“Because I know things that you can’t even begin to imagine seeing. And I’ve seen great things from you. Things that only you can do. Mutt knows it. He’s seen it too,” Callie says. “And you’re going to be so shocked when it happens.”

Music starts to play outside of the tent that had been set up for me. I turn towards the opening. Callie goes and moves the flaps to the side.

“Well?” she asks. “Isn’t that your cue?”

I smile, I knew that some people said that they were nervous when they were about to be married. But me? I was so happy I could hardly stand it. All I wanted to do was run down the aisle and finally get married to him.

So I decided to do just that. Grabbing the bouquet of flowers I clutch the folds of my dress, pulling the fabric off the ground. I take off running towards Mutt, leaping up onto the stairs and stopping in front of him.

“Hi,” I say, smiling.

“Hi,” he replies grinning back at me. “Quite the entrance you make, Moon.”

“Well, I have learned from some of the best,” I say. “Mutt, I love you more than anything else in the world, and I want to spend my life with you. So I have one request.”

“Anything you wish you shall have,” Mutt says.

“Can we skip right to the ‘I do’ part of the ceremony?” I ask. “We keep getting interrupted all the time and I don’t want anyone to get the chance to do that today.”

“Then let’s skip straight to the ‘I do’ part,” Mutt says with a grin.

The priest clears his throat, “Do you, Manoa Dragon take this man, Matthew Istashax to be your lawfully wedded husband? To have and to hold through sickness and health until death do you part?”

“I do,” I say with another smile.

Something about this just made me keep wanting to smile like an idiot.

“And do you, Matthew Istashax take this women, Manoa Dragon to be your lawfully wedded wife? To have and to hold through sickness and health until death do you part?”

Mutt smiles at me, and I get lost in his eyes as they trap me in. Refusing to let go of me. I drown in the blueness, and I couldn’t be happier.

“I do,” Mutt says. “Of course I do.”

I laugh, it had happened. We were married, nothing had gone wrong. The universe loved us after all. I couldn’t believe it.

“Then by the power vested in me by the Lord Almighty I pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.”

“Man, I thought you were never going to ask,” Mutt says.

Everyone laughs at that. And then there was a gasp.

“MUTT LOOK OUT!” someone yells, I couldn’t tell who it was. But whoever it was sounded terrified.

It was like it happened in slow motion, but I know that it didn’t. My head snaps back from the crowd of people to where Mutt was standing. The bouquet of flowers drops from my hand.

Someone appears behind Mutt, a glittering object descends towards his back. I reach out to push him away, take his place, I wasn’t really sure. Just to do something to keep it from happening.

The crystalized thing hits Mutt, he looks down at his chest, face a mask of confusion. But he didn’t look scared or hurt. He looked almost… okay with it. Like he had accepted the fate that was being brought on him.

He falls to his knees, and I fall down beside him, eyes as wide as saucers. Tears streaming down my face. He gives me a shaky smile, but he wasn’t really able to as blood erupted from his mouth like a volcano.

“No!” I shout, grabbing his shoulders. “Mutt!”

I look up at the person that had stabbed him, a 19 year old girl with white hair that had one blue stripe and one purple stripe stood there. The ice shard that she had used to stab him now laid at the feet of another person that stood behind her.

“You’re Caltaya,” I whisper.

I wasn’t sure how I knew. But a part of me just did. I couldn’t explain it. And at that point I didn’t really want to. All I wanted to do was curl up into a ball and cry. Because Mutt’s head falls against my shoulder.

I hold him close to me, pressing his face against my shoulder as I sobbed into his hair. He was gone. He was actually gone. And this time I knew that there was no coming back. Not this time.

“Indeed, I am,” Caltaya says. “And I have finally paid you back for all the harm you have caused me.”

The person that was behind her slowly bends down to pick up the ice shard. I look up at that person and meet the green eyes of Clato. Except her eyes were no longer dull and dark like they had been all the times I had met her.

They were bright and full of life. Like I had always imagined her to be, before she had gone evil. I stare into her eyes. She bows her head slightly, in an act of respect. I shake my head at her, not understanding what she was doing. Or why she was doing it. Caltaya still hadn’t realized that she was there.

And everyone else remained absolutely quiet, interested in how this was going to turn out. Everyone in the peanut gallery held their breath as Clato held the piece of ice.

Caltaya was still talking, revealing her grand plan to take over the world. I didn’t actually think that anyone was listening to her, though I could be wrong. Because what person wouldn’t want to know the plan of an evil genius.

I’m surprised that Caltaya didn’t know that right after a villain expresses their great plan to take over the world they usually end up dead. As if on cue Clato raises the ice fracture towards Caltaya.

But then she seems to think on it for a second, and turns the piece towards herself. Caltaya still didn’t notice anything that was going on, I stare at Clato in complete confusion. There had to be a way to take Caltaya down, and Clato just had to know what it was!

“You can’t live if I’m dead,” Clato whispers.

Caltaya whips around, eyes wide. She leaps towards Clato, trying to get the ice cycle away from Clato. My own eyes widen, it looks like Clato had a marvelous plan after all.

The ice hits her square in the chest, and she falls down, similar to the way Mutt did. Except with her, Caltaya fell down too. Clato’s appearance changes, as does Caltaya’s. Clato’s hair goes white and straight, her half closed eyes turn an icy blue.

Caltaya’s hair turns red, and turns into waves, and her purple eyes seems to ignite with a fire that had long been suppressed inside of her.

They don’t collapse and die like Mutt did, instead Caltaya’s body turns to fire, and Clato’s turns to ice before turning to ash or shattering. I hug Mutt closer to my body, sobbing. The people around me were expressing similar acts of grief.

I look around, but I don’t see Quinn. She wasn’t anywhere around. Confusion strikes up within me.

“Where’s Quinn?” I sob out. “She should be here.”

“She’s dead,” someone says. I didn’t care enough to figure out who it was. “She died trying to stop Clotho from killing Atropos and Lachesis. As well as the rest of us too. She didn’t make it out of the castle alive. Almost. She almost did.”

“What happened?” I ask.

“Guess Alex really became Atropos when she died,” they continue. “She killed Quinn. Not Clotho or any of her minions. Alex. Her best friend killed her.”

“How is that possible?” I demand.

“Clotho had some sort of mind control device that she had perfected to use on you,” a new person speaks. “It wasn’t supposed to affect Alex since she was a Fate. But she decided to hold onto her humanity.”

“You’re saying it’s my fault?” I demand, finally turning away from Mutt.

“Yeah, I am,” it was a boy that was speaking. “Everything is your fault. None of this would have happened if you hadn’t showed up. Everything would be normal!”

“Normal,” I whisper. “Of course! That’s it!”

The realization hit me so fast I was dizzy, everything was my fault. But I had the chance to fix it. I could make it better. I could make it normal. Because I had made a wish. A wish that would set everything right. Make everyone that has died come back to life.

“Waverly!” I shout standing. “I demand that you come to Godville at this very moment!”

There was a whoosh and a flurry of gold glitter and then Waverly stood there, she didn’t look very happy to see me. She also looked like she had been crying. It was in that moment that I remembered that her and Clato were siblings.

“What do you want?” she snarls at me.

“I want you to grant my wish,” I say.

She recoils back in shock, staring at me with saucers for eyes. “Come again?”

“You said that you would grant it when I least wanted it too. You would take away everything and everyone that I had grown to love. But Caltaya’s already done that. Grant my wish. Make me normal. It’ll bring all the dead back to life. They’d be alive,” I whisper.

“They would have no idea who you are,” she says.

“I have faith that those who loved me will remember me,” I say, looking down at Mutt.

“They might. But they might not, are you really going to be so willing as to make that choice?” She asks.

“This is all my fault,” I say, looking back at the crowd of people that were gathered around. There wasn’t many of them. Maybe twenty or so. “It’s time that I accepted that, and found a way to fix it. This is me fixing it. Will you help me? Help me make things right Waverly.”

“This will also bring Caltaya and Manoa back to life,” she says. “What’s to prevent the war from happening all over again and the same outcome? Except for if it does, you will not have a wish to be granted.”

I look over at the pile of ice and ash. What was left of Manoa and Caltaya. Clato had turned into a hero in the end. She had done the right thing, no matter that the cost would be her own life.

“Things will be different,” I say, turning back to Waverly. “You’re sister’s the hero. She’ll find another way to save the world. She always does.”

“Manoa would go back into your brain, she’ll become a part of you again,” Waverly says. “Clato will not remember her, and she will not remember you.”

“Me?” I ask. “Why would she want to remember me?”

“She was the villain. Until she met you and remembered that the people of Godville were her family. Not her enemies,” Waverly says.

“I’m glad,” I say. “But this time it will be different. Because I’ll remember right?”

“Of course you’ll remember,” she says. “It wouldn’t be much of a punishment if you didn’t. The point is for you to remember what you’re missing out on.”

“I won’t be the only one to remember though,” I say. “Manoa will remember. Because she is me.”

“That is true, technically since you and Manoa are the same person you will both remember,” Waverly says.

“Manoa and Clato even each other out. Clato brings out the good in Manoa and Manoa brings out the bad in Clato. Together is where they belong,” I say.

“You’re putting a lot of trust in my sister and an ice queen,” Waverly says.

“Because together they can save the world, better than any of us could,” I say.

I remembered the way that they acted when they first met. They acted like best friends. A feeling I remember well, since I had only had three in my entire life.  I would never tell Waverly that I was kind of wanting to be normal again. Because when I’m normal everything was so much easier. When I was normal I never fell in love and I had never felt this much pain before in my life. At least, not when I was just good ol’ normal Moon Dragon.

“This won’t take away your powers Moon,” Waverly says. She said it with such a gentleness that made me wonder if maybe she really did know exactly what I was thinking about.

“I know,” I say. “And I’m glad. Something tells me that I”ll be needing them again, really soon.”

“You’re sure about this aren’t you?” she asks.

“Completely,” I reply.

“Then I have no choice except to grant you your wish,” Waverly says.

The minute she said that something happened.The ruins of Godville seems to stand up and walk back together, fixing itself and going back to being the most magnificent town on Earth.

I smile, once again amazed by the way that magic worked. And still, completely content with leaving it. Who wouldn’t be? Sometimes even magic was too much for some people. And sometimes magic makes people do things that they never wanted to do.

In this case, magic was making me leave. Because magic had decided to fight magic. Which left all of us to pick up the pieces of that battle. It hurt, leaving this place behind. Leaving Mutt behind. But I had to do it.

Upon that realization, something broke inside of me. Something that I didn’t quiet recognize, I mean, yeah, I had known that this was going to happen. That I was going to have to leave Mutt. But I never actually thought about it until this very second. And the truth was, I wasn’t ready to leave him.

But it was too late now. I reach for the ring on my finger, about to pull it off and put it in his hands. Finally about to leave him. But Waverly places her hand over mine.

“Keep it,” she says. “He’s going to remember and fall in love with you all over again. Just you wait and see. Don’t take the ring off and stop waiting for him to come. If you do then it’d already be too late. It doesn’t have to be too late.”

“Thank you,” I say with a smile.

I was becoming transparent. I look down at my hand and see the ground. It was really happening now. I had actually done it.

“No, thank you,” She says. “You gave me my sister back. I don’t think I can ever repay you.”

“You already have,” I say. “You gave me the world back.”

“Then we call it even,” she says with a smile.

“Deal,” I say, mirroring her grin.




© 2019 AirieLeva


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

22 Views
Added on May 15, 2019
Last Updated on May 15, 2019

The Forgotten Battle


Author

AirieLeva
AirieLeva

Los Angeles, CA



About
I believe that through books the world and everyone in it can still find hope, even at the darkest of times. The real heroes are the ones that you find within yourself when you and others are in need... more..

Writing
The Moment The Moment

A Poem by AirieLeva