Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty-Four

A Chapter by AirieLeva

Moon

“Stop!” Quinn hisses at me.

“I can’t help it!” I retort. “I mean come on! Princess? That’s crazy! I can’t be an Amazon Princess! Get real!”

“Actually, since Alex was the Princess it means that upon her death you now are,” Quinn says.

“Do not worry,” Earleen says. “It is not like she chose you through blurry mind on her deathbed. If that’s how Amazon Princess’s were chosen she would’ve chose Quinnavev.”

“How many times do I have to tell you it’s just Quinn now!” Quinn exclaims.

“You are known by only one name within these walls,” Earleen retorts.

“Oh, cool,” I say. “So was Alexandria the name Alex used when she was an Amazon?”

“No,” Earleen says. “Her name was Alexiares. Why she changed it, I have no actual idea.”

“Because it reminded her of the life that betrayed her,” Quinn answers.

Earleen falters, just slightly, before she raises her head, “Yes well. By tradition all of Alexiares’s possessions are now yours.”

“Can we go back to you explaining how I was chosen?” I ask.

“As you wish,” Earleen says. “Amazon Princess’s met their heir when they are nearing death. The previous princess sees a sign of sort, a glow, around the heir. That is how they are chosen.”

“Oh,” I say, understanding suddenly. “She called me princess when we first met. I thought it was some rude nickname.”

“Well it was not,” Earleen says.

“So all this time, she knew that she was about to die?” I ask. “Just because she meet me?”

Quinn places a hand on my shoulder, “You are not the reason she died.”

I shrug off her hand, “No. I am.”

“It also means that you are next in line to be queen,” Earleen says. “I will leave you now. I will be back with your new possessions.”

Uh oh, I think.

“Quinn!” I exclaim. “What about Mutt?”

Quinn looks at me simply and shrugs lightly, “You’ll figure it out.”

“That’s it? You’re not gonna help me?” I ask.

“Moon, there’s a time in your life where you have to embrace and grasp ahold of your own life. Now, I could help you or you could help yourself and figure it out when the time comes,” Quinn says.

“Wow, thanks,” I say sarcastically.

“Goddamnit Moon!” Quinn snaps. “You are brilliant, talented, astonishing and full of wonder! How many times am I going to have to say it before you start to see it for yourself?!”

With that she storms out of the room, leaving me shocked and confused.

“ARGO’S MISSING!” someone shouts.

There was a brief panic and I follow the rush outside. “What’s wrong?” I ask.

“Argo! He’s gone,” Ephiny says.

“He?” I repeat. “I thought you didn’t like guys.”

“We don’t,” Earleen says. “Argo is- was, Alexia- Alex’s horse.”

“It’s okay,” Quinn says, her eyes were closed and she looked calm. “He’s with Alex now.”

Everyone wanted to question her, I knew that, she knew it. But somehow everyone refrained from doing so. I admired their strength.

“So,” Quinn says. “About this war.”

“Contrary to what some might think, I do not want this war. I am not like that,” Earleen says.

“What is that supposed to mean?!!” Quinn demands, eyes flashing.

“Nothing, now if you’ll excuse me, I must go. My sister just died, I must take time to grieve, I’m sure you know the feeling?” Earleen steps away.

“What was that about?” I ask, walking over to Quinn.

That’s a very long story,” she says.

“So shorten it,” I say.

“Come on,” was all she said.

Leading me out of the camp she heads straight into the woods, only stopping when we get to a clearing. Beyond the clearing, seen through a few trees was a lake. With beautifully blue crystal water. A waterfall was crashing into the lake, giving it water. There were millions upon millions of different colored flowers. Clustering around a small cabin that stood off to the corner.

“Whoa,” I whisper. “Where are we?”

“This used to be our, Alex and mine, hideout,” Quinn says.

“Doesn’t seem like it’s that well hidden,” I state.

“You try and find your way back,” Quinn shrugs.

I look behind me, the forest looked the same, “Ah. No thanks.”

Quinn snorts, “Figured.”

“So are you going to tell me what the whole episode between you and Earleen was about?” I ask.

“Well the short version is this: Before we left Alex got into a fight with Earleen and Marpesia. Verbal, not bloody, not at first at least. In the end Earleen wished for war, and she led it against the demigods. She thought Alex would fight with the Amazons, but she misjudged Alex greatly,” Quinn says.

“Alex fought with the demigods,” I say. “And who did you fight for?”

Quinn looks down, ashamed, “I was an Amazon. I fought for the Amazon’s. If I am nothing more, I am loyal to my family. It’s not my greatest moment.”

“What happened?” I ask.

“Earleen almost killed Mutt,” Quinn says simply.

B***h.

“What did you do?” I ask.

“The only thing I could do!” Quinn exclaims. “I saved his life.”

“Oh,” I say. “Then what?”

“I would’ve been banished, and I was okay with that. But Alex fought against Earleen.”

“What?”

“Alex demanded the royal challenge. A fight to the death.”

“But Earleen’s still alive,” I say, confused.

“Yeah, they couldn’t kill each other. Their blood wouldn’t let them. They fought many times. But the result was still the same. So we left. Alex vowed she wouldn’t come back, until death. Earleen made me promise to bring her body back, if she died. Then we went and created Godville. Meeting up with Lenzie and Mutt as we went.”

“But if Alex never came back and she was next in line she’d have to come back when Earleen died, if Earleen died,” I say, trying to piece everything together.

“Not really,” Quinn says. “She could’ve left the Amazons without a leader.”

“So if Alex never came back, Marpesia couldn’t have taken her place?” I ask.

“Not without solid evidence that Alex was dead. Which Alex made sure they’d never get,” Quinn answers.

“Amazon rules really suck,” I say.

“To some they are all there is,” Quinn replies.

“And to others?” I ask.

“I hope you never have to face an Amazon that has given up on the rules and went against Amazon customs,” Quinn says, not actually answering my question.

“What about you? Aren’t you an ex-Amazon? Doesn’t that mean you went against the rules?” I ask.

“You would never know,” Quinn says.

“So is it true?” I press.

“No, Alex and I never went against the Amazon customs, other than the one about men, since we live in Godville. We’ve never had to.”

“Oh. Okay,” I say with a shrug.

A bird call goes out, at least, it sounds like a bird call, except it was louder and less natural.

“What was that?” I ask.

“A centaur has been captured on our side of the river,” Quinn says.

“Meaning?” I ask.

“It depends,” Quinn answers, heading towards where the call came from.

“On?” I ask.

“If he’s armed,” Quinn says.

“Or?” I press.

“Do not question Earleen’s word, understand?” Quinn says instead.

“Well-” I start.

Understand?” Quinn growls.

“Yes, but that doesn’t answer my question!” I say.

۝

Romilda was the one that had been the one to capture the centaur. She had straight blonde hair and brown eyes. But he didn’t come willingly. In the end, Carneli, a younger Amazon was killed. She hadn’t been bonded yet so it was only one casualty. Romilda had captured him as he was running down the hill, but she never actually saw him kill Carneli.

“Are you sure that he killed Carneli?” Quinn demands.

“Yes, he is a centaur on our land. What else would he be doing? Besides, she had centaur arrows sticking out of her back! He killed her before she could even turn around! The coward!” Romilda growls.

“That’s all the evidence you have?” Quinn demands.

“It’s all the evidence we need!” Romilda counters.

“STOP!” Earleen shouts.

Silence followed.

“Quinn you know the law. If you believe Photens is innocent you must prove it,” Earleen says. “Before his execution. Which from this moment on is set for noon tomorrow.”

“How are you going to prove him innocent?” I ask. “Are you sure that he is?”

“One death. Only. Out of the entire scouting party, he killed one. Why just one? Why Carneli?”

“Um, he didn’t want to get caught and Carneli wandered away from the rest?” I offer.

“Carneli wasn’t stupid,” Quinn retorts. “And neither are centaurs. Asteria!”

Asteria stops, she had long brown hair and dull eyes.

“What?” She asks.

“How many arrows are in a set?” Quinn asks.

“You don’t know?” Asteria asks, raising an eyebrow.

“Not really my thing,” Quinn replies.

“Twenty five,” Asteria answers.

“Thanks!” Quinn says, grabbing my arm and pulling me away. “Alyth!”

This time the Amazon had short blonde hair and brown eyes.

“His weapons?” Quinn asks.

“There,” Alyth says, pointing to a table.

“Thanks!” Quinn says.

“What are we doing?” I ask.

“We’re going to count his arrows,” Quinn says simply.

“That’s smart,” I say.

Quinn nods once and then goes up and counts the arrows.

“They’re all here,” she says.

“He might’ve brought extra?” I offer.

“The quiver would only hold twenty five and it would be too dangerous to carry any,” Quinn says. “I’m going to go talk to him.”

“Is that safe?” I ask.

“We’ll see!” She calls, jogging away.

“Good luck?” I say, even though she can’t hear me.

۝

Quinn

“Did you kill Carneli?” I ask.

“What if I did?” Photen replies.

“What if you didn’t?” I retort. “Centaurs aren’t known for being stupid.”

“And Amazon’s aren’t know for asking so many questions are they?” Photens says.

“I’m not an Amazon,” I say.

“You live in an Amazon camp!” Photens growls.

“NO!” I snap. “I live in Godville. I have not been an Amazon for years I left this place behind! I am only back because my friend is dead.”

“I did not kill you friend,” Photens says. “Carneli I mean. She was dead when I got there. I heard the shout.”

“Why’d you go over the river?” I ask.

“Centaurs do not want war. The Amazons started it, and we will finish it if we have too,” Photens says, not answering.

۝

“You want me to stay here so you can go and get yourself killed?” Moon demands.

“No,” I say. “I’m not going to die.”

“You want to go see Photens father? Leader of the army? Sounds like death to me,” Moon says.

“He might not kill me,” Quinn says. “Asteria is going to come with me. We’ll be fine.”

۝

“Wait here,” I tell Asteria.

She gives me a nod, and doesn’t say anything. With that I walk towards the three blue stones that stood out of the ground.

“Give two reason I shouldn’t kill you!” a centaur growls the second I was standing in front of the stones.

“Because you’re nice like that?” I offer.

The centaur narrows his eyes, and raises his sword.

“Wait!” Tyleds says, walking forward. “Speak.”

“I’m trying to save your son without bloodshed,” I say.

“I do not care if it comes to bloodshed, tomorrow at noon my army will invade now leave!” Tyleds shouts.

I walk back to where Asteria was waiting.

“Sounds like that went well,” she says smugly.

“Go back to camp, try to delay the execution,” I say.

۝




© 2019 AirieLeva


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

21 Views
Added on May 14, 2019
Last Updated on May 14, 2019

The Forgotten Battle


Author

AirieLeva
AirieLeva

Los Angeles, CA



About
I believe that through books the world and everyone in it can still find hope, even at the darkest of times. The real heroes are the ones that you find within yourself when you and others are in need... more..

Writing
The Moment The Moment

A Poem by AirieLeva