Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!
Chapter Fifty-Five

Chapter Fifty-Five

A Chapter by AirieLeva

Manoa

The world had greatly changed. Of course, I had figured that it had. But I never really knew how much. That is, until now. Except even though I wanted to be excited, and I wanted to show joy, I couldn’t. Part of having ice surrounding your heart really.

I close my eyes, breathing in the air. For a second I wondered if there was any hope left for me. But then I remembered, that I was already dead. Living only because of Caltaya.

“You wish for me to kill my sister,” I say suddenly.

Clato stills, and turns to stare at me. She was supposed to be leading us out of the place which I assumed was an infirmary, but she was doing a poor job of it. I had decided that she had gotten lost.

“What?” She asks.

“Is that true?” I ask. “You want me to kill my sister?”

“Can you?” she asks instead of answering. “You couldn’t before.”

I walk over to a window, staring outside. I place my hands gently on the window sill. Careful not to freeze it.

“No, before I could not. But before I had just met the Prince of Stars. The love of my life. My heart had been melted. That was why. Because of him. But now, now he is dead. And ice plagues my heart once more. So yes, I can kill her,” I say.

“But now you have Mutt,” Clato says. “So why is your heart still frozen?”

“Because Mutt is not technically the love of my life. Rather the love of Moon’s. And you said it yourself, we’re not really the same person. Besides,” I say, turning to

look at her. “There is no hope left for me. My heart has been ice for too long. Nothing can save me now. Absolutely nothing.”

“So you can kill her?” Clato asks.

“Yes,” I say. “But you know what will happen right?”

“What do you mean?” she demands.

“The only reason I have been alive for this long is because of Caltaya. Her hate for me and my need to keep her trapped is the only thing that has allowed me to reincarnate year after year. When she dies-” I start.

“You die as well,” Clato interrupts. “What of Moon?”

I glance back the way we came, where I can only assume that Moon’s room was located. “She should die. But I’m not sure.”

Clato sighs, and then she cuts pricks her finger on the edge of her knife. I frown at her, she says something in a language that I do not recognize. I fall to my knees as something sharp seems to invade my mind. While something else seems to be ripped out. Finally it was done. I look up at her.

“What did you just do?” I demand, glaring at her.

“Moon and I have a connection, it was how I was able to travel into her mind and get you out. All I did was change your connection with her, to me,” Clato says.

“You saved her life,” I say. “Why?”

Clato shrugs, “Because this world hasn’t ever been without a Manoa Dragon. And I don’t think that it should lose her now.”

“And you would be willing to die in her place?” I ask, confused.

She shrugs, “There’s nothing let for me here. There hasn’t been for a long time.”

“But there used to be?” I ask.

Clato doesn’t say anything for a second, and then she sighs, “Just make sure you save my friends. Okay?”

“Okay,” I say. “That I can do.”

Clato nods at me, and then she turns away, inhaling sharply, “We better get going.”

Then she takes three steps, turns left and throws open a door. Which lead to the outside.

“Are you serious?” I ask. “We’ve passed that door ten times already. Have you really been making us go in circles this entire time?”

Clato shrugs, “Had to make sure you could give me what I wanted.”

I growl under my breath lightly, and then I follow her out of the infirmary. Unfortunately we had stepped into a warzone.

“Oh gods,” Clato says, drawing her sword. “We have to help them.”

“No,” I say. “We have to stop Caltaya.”

Clato whirls on me, “They’re all going to die!”

“Yes,” I say. “As they are supposed to. Come now, we have more important problems to worry about.”

“No!” Clato says. “No! I’m staying to help. You do whatever you have to do.”

“You have taken Moon’s place,” I snap. “I cannot let you die! Otherwise I too will die.”

“Then I guess you better stay and help me out then,” Clato says.

I groan, “Why does this happen to me? At least Moon was unable to talk back!”

“Oh my god,” Clato says. “Moon.”

She turns around and runs back into the infirmary building. Which had ‘Hospital House’ carved into the door. I close my eyes for a few seconds to refrain from just killing her. And then I stomp my way back into the Hospital House.

“I cannot believe that you have me doing this!” I snarl. “I hate this! I do not care about saving the world! Why did I agree to this?” I grumble to myself.

I couldn’t see Clato ahead of me. Which meant that she was probably already in Moon’s room. Or at least, somewhere close to it. Rolling my eyes I walk forward. The room was a lot easier to find now that I knew she had been taking me in circles the entire time we had been wandering the place.

Just as I stepped into the room, seconds after Clato had, the entire building collapsed down on top of us. I throw up my arm, creating a dome of ice around the three of us.

“That was fun!” Clato says. “Let’s do it again!”

“Get real,” I snarl.

Then I walk over and incase Moon’s body in ice.

“Oh no, please tell me that this isn’t going to be like Snow White. I hated that movie. Too much of a happy ending to be real,” Clato says.

I turn to look at her, “You poor soul,” I say. “What happened in your life to finally make you believe that the world was broken and unable to be fixed?”

“The same thing that happened in yours,” she replies, looking down at the ground.

“Yeah well,” I say. “Don’t be like me, Clato. You can be better. Besides, sometimes it’s alright to believe in fairy tales and happy endings, because sometimes, those are the stories worth reading. Meaning they are the stories worth living.”

“Why do you feel as though you can’t take your own advice?” she asks.

“Because my story is almost over, and happy is the opposite to the ending I plan on having.”

“Yeah well, sometimes life doesn’t go as we plan. And when that happens the best we can do is embrace the change,” Clato say looking at me.

“I’m not too good with change, believe it or not, and the last thing I want, or need, is a happy ending,” I say. “Now let’s go save the world before I change my mind.”

Before turning back around I snap my fingers, transporting Moon to a different location, somewhere in Alaska where she’d be safe.

“So what’s the plan boss?” Clato asks, turning to look at me.

“Ew, don’t call me that,” I say, cringing.

“Okie-dokie then. What’s the plan?” She asks.

“Um, I dunno. I’m assuming that since you’re asking me you don’t have one. Which means you expect me to have one. Which is a really stupid idea, because I do not have one,” I say.

“Great. Just great,” she says, throwing her hands into the air.

“Do tell,” I say. “Why do you expect me to have a plan? Your the one that recruited me for this mission so you should have the plan!”

“Wonderful idea, except for the fact that she is YOUR sister!” Clato exclaims.

“Uhlf,” I say, my face twisting up in disgust. “I hate the fact that you’re right.”

“Well you certainly aren’t the only one,” Clato says, rather cheerfully.

“First don’t you think that we should be more concerned about getting out of here before making a plan? Because technically if we can’t make it out of this, where are we exactly?” I ask.

“We are currently within the walls of Godville. Or at least, what is left of them,” Clato says.

For the first time in awhile I am truly shocked. I had heard many stories of Godville. A town that had been around for a very long time. Born about a hundred years ago. Raised up by immortals, and safe haven for all creatures of mythology.

Never before had I thought that I was going to walk within the walls of this town. Much less have the chance of saving it. For the first time I take a second to close my eyes and feel the magic around me.

Not magic really. This kind of magic had nothing to do with a special artifact or a wand. No witch or wizard controlled this. But no, this magic was the same. The magic that was held within love and friendship. The kind of magic that Quinnavev Istashax had managed to create inside these walls a century ago.

Magic so pure that it was nearly impossible to find. The kind of magic kings fight over. Except it wasn’t really magic at all. Oh no. This wasn’t magic. This was just the bonds of family and love that had grown so strong that people mistake it for magic.

And they try to claim this magic, but what they don’t realize is that magic cannot be tamed. Magic cannot be taken by force. Such purity as magic is everywhere, and can be created by everyone, so long as someone knows how and where to look for it.

“Have you been here before?” Clato asks after I don’t reply.

“No,” I say honestly.

“Why do I sense a ‘but’ coming? Is there a but coming?” Clato asks.

“No,” I repeat. “No buts.”

“There’s totally a but in there somewhere,” Clato complains. “Just telllll meee.”

Instead of answering I snap my fingers, encasing the both of us in ice and getting us out of Godville. Seconds before the entire place comes down.

“Lookers Point,” Clato says. “We’re on Lookers Point.”

I look out, and we were on a cliff, which I guess they had named. Godville slowly fell, leaving nothing but a cloud of dust behind. The wind picks up, stirring up the snow that was on the ground. I look down, underneath the snow and ice was blood, caked into the mountain.

Preserved, like a stuffed animal by the ice. My ice. I felt the familiar hum that came off of it. Calling to me, a piece of my soul. I inhale the air, encouraging the ice to show me what happened here.

In flashes I saw Caltaya and a boy fighting. I did not know the boy, but I knew him. He reeked of familiarity. Black hair and blue eyes. I take another deep breath, and Caltaya drives a sword through his heart. He looks at me. Just as his eyes dull I remember his name.

“Mutt,” I whisper.

Clato turns to look at me, she says something I don’t hear. My eyes stay locked on Mutt’s. The love of Moon’s life. The love of my life. But I didn’t know him. I didn’t fall in love with him. But the feeling was there. The tug at my heart. I had loved him. Just not in this life.

An echoing voice speaks to me, a voice from the past.

‘A son! I hereby pronounce the birth of a son! Congratulations! You have a son. World! Meet Kaliq! The Creator!! Son of Lachesis and that mortal over there in the coffin!’

A woman holds up a baby, after giving a dismissive flick of her hand to a wooden box in the corner.

“Lachesis had a son,” I whisper. “I attended the ceremony, a century ago. She couldn’t keep him. Clotho… Clotho wanted revenge.”

“What are you talking about?” Clato demands.

I hold up a hand stopping her. “She hid him in the mortal world. Masked his powers. Kaliq, son of destiny. Lachesis… Her son could not take her place, oh no. So she wrote him a destiny greater than anyone else’s. To love purely and truly. To be a hero. And to have a daughter. A daughter that would take her place.”

“Um,” Clato says. “Come again?”

“Show me more,” I say. “I must remember. Show me more.”

“Show you what? What are you seeing?” Clato demands.

“Clotho. She was so mad that Lachesis would have a child, and write a destiny for that child that was so pure. So marvelous. Clotho was unable to have children. She tried many, many times. All of them died. Because while she was the Fate of Life, her heart held nothing but death. Atropos never bothered trying. So Clotho swore that she would go to war. And kill every child of a god or goddess on Earth. And then destroy the gods themselves in her wrath.”

I pause, pressing a hand to my forehead. Clato doesn’t speak.

“So Lachesis, she rewrote destiny once more. Creating protectors of the Earth. Destroying all memories of Kaliq, and all powers he possessed that were anything remotely godlike and gave rebirth. A way to protect him. He was reborn as a demigod. Given life to protect the people of Earth from Clotho’s wrath. Since she was unable to do anything on her own. Atropos agreed with her plan.

“But Clotho, Clotho did not want them to remember. So she threatened Mnemosyne’s son. And had Mnemosyne steal their memories, and locked them away. But it was too late. They had already made a plan. Set it in motion. A plan that rested on the shoulders of Kaliq.”

“Hold up,” Clato says.

I ignore her, giving her the hand once again. “Clotho knew she had to do something drastic. So she used Caltaya’s hate for me. She sent Mutt and Moon into the Underworld to awake and release her. And Caltaya was supposed to kill both of us. Mutt and I. And then, Caltaya will have had her peace and Clotho’s plan could remain unchallenged. It also meant that Clotho could convince Caltaya to help her destroy the world. It’s such a beautifully terrible plan. I’m almost ashamed I never thought of it myself.”

“Hold up,” Clato repeats. “So you’re saying that Mutt is a reincarnated version of this Kaliq?”

“Yes,” I say.

“How do you know any of that?” she demands.

“The ice preserves my memories, all I need to do is ask,” I say.

“That’s what you meant,” she says. “But it seems to preserve a lot more than memories.”

“Yes,” I say, looking down at the blood. “Life was taken and returned here. To Mutt. Such an act makes an imprint on Earth, and sometimes that mark is noticeable. When such an act holds such a strong emotion.”

“Look,” Clato points.

Through the ice sunflowers were growing.

“So Mutt’s sacrifice made a mark on the Earth?” Clato asks.

“Indeed,” I say, looking at the flowers.

“What kind of emotion could be so great it caused sunflowers to grow?” she asks.

“Love,” I say. “In ancient Greek times sunflowers were a symbol of love.”

“So he died in the name of love. A sacrifice made with no other intend other than to save those he loved?” Clato asks.

“Pretty much,” I say. “And the love he had for those he cherished gave him a sort of protection from Caltaya’s magic, since she outlawed love in her own mind. The Earth decided to keep him alive, knowing that his love will let him return one day.”

“Ew,” Clato says. “Like honestly? All that love talk? Seriously just threw up in my mouth a little there, so thanks for that. Truly.”

I roll my eyes at her, “You really feel sickened by love?”

“Yes,” she says. “Very much so.”

“What a poor little thing you are,” I say.

“Really?” She wrinkles her nose at me. “Gross. Just gross.”

“Honestly,” I start, shaking my head at her, like I was completely disapproving of her.

“Can we get back to the whole ‘saving-the-world’ thing?” she demands.

“Pushy pushy,” I say.

“Oh forgive me,” she says sarcastically. “I would absolutely hate to rush your awesomeness and expect you to indulge in my worry about the WORLD ENDING!”

“Thanks for that,” I say, turning away.

“ARE YOU FOR REAL?” Clato screeches, I wince and cover my ears slightly. “YOU HAVE TO AT LEAST TRY AND MAKE IT LOOK LIKE YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING!”

“You can be really loud,” I say blinking. “Did you know that?”

“UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE!” she screams.

“Guess so,” I say, clasping my hands around my back and whistling.

While she continues screeching like a banshee I look around. Trying to find any clues as to where Caltaya may be. When we were living in our kingdoms we had a bond. A way to always sense each other when we were close enough.

That bond had been frayed beyond repair, but it was still there. Faint and almost silent. Like an annoying fly buzzing around instead of a bumble bee.

“Where are you?” I whisper to the wind. “What have you gotten yourself into now?”

The story of Caltaya and Manoa has always been wrong. Twisted and squished, rewritten over and over until no truth prevailed. But truth, I was the one that was always there for Caltaya. Whenever she needed me. I looked after her.

Many people have said that it was her who looked after me. That she wanted to unfreeze my heart. Which was true. But she stopped trying when she realized that she couldn’t. But she did succeed in thawing my heart enough for one person. I did not love everyone. But I did love my sister.

“I’m so sorry that I did this to you,” I whisper. “I should’ve told you the truth a long. Long time ago.”

“And what is the truth?” Clato asks, finally calming down.

“The Prince of Stars. There was a battle. The Hostiles had infiltrated the land. They made it into the coronation ball. Where he was going to name who he was taking for a bride,” I explain.

“You knew who he was going to choose, that he was going to choose Caltaya. You wanted revenge. So you killed him,” Clato says.

“WHAT?” I exclaim. “NO! I told him to pick Caltaya! I wanted him too! I told him that I refused to marry him! I loved them both and I knew they would be happier together!”

She blinks, and for once doesn’t say anything.

“But the Hostiles, when they attacked. I transported Caltaya out of there. Using ice. I nearly killed myself doing it! Because her fire attacked at the ice,” I continue.

“Which is a part of your soul,” she interrupts.

“Correct. And I stayed at I fought. The IDIOT jumped in front of me. He said that they had missed, and like an idiot I believed him. Once our guards had finally fought off all the Hostiles I thought that everything was going to be fine.”

“Lemme guess, that’s where everything went wrong?” Clato interrupts again.

“Well if you feel like using the technical term for it, yes,” I say sarcastically.

“So what happened after that?” she asks, sinking to the ground, legs crossed.

“I was still under the impression that the Prince was okay. So I walked around and healed everyone else that had gotten hurt. Even brought to life a few guards. Drained nearly all of my magic,” I say.

“That’s when you figured out he was hurt,” she says.

“He just collapsed…” I say, closing my eyes to stop tears from leaking. “I ran towards him, trying to heal him. But his heart was already set on Caltaya by then. So he rejected my magic.”

“Now I see where the idiot part comes in,” Clato says.

“It was not his fault,” I shout. “Ancient laws prevented him from being able to accept the magic from another once his love was set.”

“Laaaame,” Clato says. “And gross, more love.”

“Well I was working on saving him, and it wasn’t going that well. In fact it was going slowly but still it was going. Not by a lot,” I say. “Caltaya… It took three hours to make it out of my ice binds. I was too weak to get her out and save him at the same time. Especially since I had no idea where she was.”

“So he died,” Clato says. “You tried to save him. And he died. She just thought that you killed him. Because?”

“Because she accused me of being jealous and a bunch of other rather rude things,” I say. “Then she. She accused me of killing him. And instead of letting me explain she just went on a rampage. By the time I was able to explain she refused to listen. Blinded by hate. From there on you can probably guess the rest.”

“That’s a lot heavier than I thought it would be. I’m really sorry,” she says.

“I have accepted it,” I say.

“You shouldn’t have to,” was all she says.




© 2019 AirieLeva


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

19 Views
Added on May 14, 2019
Last Updated on May 14, 2019

The Forgotten Battle


Author

AirieLeva
AirieLeva

Los Angeles, CA



About
I believe that through books the world and everyone in it can still find hope, even at the darkest of times. The real heroes are the ones that you find within yourself when you and others are in need... more..

Writing
The Moment The Moment

A Poem by AirieLeva