Epilogue

Epilogue

A Chapter by AirieLeva

Moon


I felt strange, like a piece of me was missing. For a second I wanted to cry, mourn this loss. But I knew that would be pointless. Nothing good would come out of that, except regret.

I was standing on Looker’s Point. The blood that had stained the cliff in my last life was still there. Which made me wonder if a lot of things had actually changed. Maybe, just maybe some things were still the same. Maybe there was hope that everything would work out the way that it was supposed to.

I look down at the ring resting on my finger, blood still covered it like a sticky blanket. Tears fill my eyes as I remember that Mutt had died. Everyone had died, and it was all my fault.

For that reason alone I was able to remain strong and do this. For that reason alone I was content with the choice that I had made. I was helping everyone that had died have a life. Without me they would still be dead.

But if I was doing the right thing why did it feel like I wasn’t? Why did it feel like I was making everything worse instead of better?

“You’ll figure it out when you need to figure it out Moon. Don’t rush things that shouldn’t be rushed. That’s where most people go wrong.”

I turn around and come face to face with Alex.

“You remember who I am?” I ask.

“Of course I remember who you are,” she says. “You’ll find that a lot of us remained unaffected by the wish that was granted to you. A lot of people that were dead will remember.”

Hope flutters in my chest, because the one person I wanted to remember had died as well. Alex seemed to be able to figure out what I was thinking, once more. I was starting to think that she had some kind of hoodoo voodoo magic since she was a Fate.

“He won’t,” she says. “I’m sorry, but the point of the curse is for you to know what you’re missing out on. So he won’t remember.”

“Oh,” I say, hanging my head. Disappointment rose up within me like it was part of a waterfall and I was the lake.

“Don’t worry,” Alex says. “He fell in love with you once, just because of who you were. He’ll fall in love with you again. It’s written in the stars. When the stars speak, we listen.”

“I’m really scared,” I whisper.

“The strongest act of bravery is admitting fear,” Alex replies. “You’re doing fine, come on, let me take you back where you belong.”

“Which isn’t here?” I question.

“Not yet. Soon, but not yet.”

6 Months later

I glance up from my paper for a second, staring out at my English class. It hadn’t been easy, settling into this life. Derek and Nikki both remembered, neither of them approved of me never wanting to forget.

I continue reading finally at the end, except the end never changed, “So tell me, how would you describe a hero? Would they be victorious? Caring and kind? Loved? Cherished?”

Despite them all being rhetorical questions, there was a part of me that wanted to know what everyone thought the definition of a hero was.

“Would the world know about them? Would they wear a cape and fly around? Be from a planet far, far away?” I ask.

I suppose that it was true, they were from way out there. And I could imagine James wearing a cape and leaping into the sky, just for the fun of it.

“Run faster than a bullet? Shoot a bow and arrow? Have a symbol on their chest and a wicked outfit? Fight crime?”

For some reason I found it funny to picture demigods running around fighting idiots that tried to rob banks. I almost felt sorry for my imaginary criminals.

“Destroy armies? Face down any enemy with a smile?”

The girl that always grinned while walking into battle plagued my mind. The only one from Godville that seemed to remember me.

“Or would your hero be ordinary? Have no superpowers? And save the world a different way. Hunt ghosts and demons. Maybe your hero is an angel. Maybe your hero is a demon. In the case of being a hero, anyone can be one. No matter who, or what, they are.”

Some people who had been losing interest had looked back up. Staring at me with such an intensity that it freaked me out a little bit. I didn’t really mind though, this was a story that deserved to be heard.

“This story, has nothing to do with that kind of hero. The heroes of this story are indeed kind, caring, loyal, loved, victorious.”

I hated that telling this story made me remember somethings that I had wanted to desperately to forget. But at the same time I was glad that I never forgot. I never wanted to forget, because I had seen how bitter forgetting had made Derek and Nikki. I never wanted to be that bitter.

Neither of them knew that I was the one that made our lives like this again. They never asked, and I never told them. I came close to it so many times, but I just couldn’t.

“But these heroes, their broken. Full of pain. Their smiles hide darkness. These heroes do have powers, powers they inherited, and then deserved. See, these heroes are demigods. And they saved the world. Except not one single soul looked up and noticed. These heroes endured pain. Heartache. They cried for hours on end.”

They weren’t the only ones that had done that either.

“They lost friends, loved ones, family, in more ways than just death. Some of them even lost themselves.”

I think of Caltaya. Someone who changed so much because of one single misunderstanding. She lost herself in the fire.

“They faced an army that was sure to destroy them.”

An army that had destroyed them, I think silently to myself.

“And they won. Their home, destroyed. Their friends, dead. Some of them were even traitors. Their minds, shattered. So what did they really win? Were they really victorious? No. Sure, they saved the world. But this time, the hero was not victorious.”

I look up from my paper, and the room erupts in cheers and claps. Mostly because my story had taken the entire class period. I hated every single person in the class right then. Even Nikki and Derek were happy.

I look towards Mrs. Diamond. She had tears in her eyes, and she was clapping. I was glad that someone had been listening. Though as I took another look at the class, I saw that there were a few kids in the back that were crying too.

Guess that some people had actually stayed away for all 304 pages of the story. I stayed where I was standing long after the bell had rung.

“The story will continue,” I tell the empty class, trying to reassure myself. “It has to continue.”

I walk out of the classroom and run into someone, stepping back I come face to face with Mutt Shax.




© 2019 AirieLeva


Author's Note

AirieLeva
THE END!
Let us know if the story should continue!!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
Added on May 15, 2019
Last Updated on May 15, 2019

The Forgotten Battle


Author

AirieLeva
AirieLeva

Los Angeles, CA



About
I believe that through books the world and everyone in it can still find hope, even at the darkest of times. The real heroes are the ones that you find within yourself when you and others are in need... more..

Writing
The Moment The Moment

A Poem by AirieLeva