Chapter Fifty-Three

Chapter Fifty-Three

A Chapter by AirieLeva

Clato

I couldn’t say the moment when I knew that everything was going to go downhill and we were going to be in a lot of trouble. It was like I somehow felt the moment when Clotho’s plan came into light. When they finally figured it out. But instead of feeling anything really, all I felt was a sense of everlasting dread.

I never knew where these feelings came from, but at the most random times when I felt something absolutely terrible, something very bad always ended up happening.

But this time I knew what was going to happen. This time I had an advantage. The world was going to burn. The only way that I could even fathom to prevent that was with ice. Lucky for us, there was one person capable of creating ice, and killing Caltaya. And stopping Caltaya’s plan.

Closing my eyes I teleport to Godville. A place that I had vowed never to step foot in again. I ended up right next to Moon. Who was lying unconscious on the bed. Mutt was there, saying his goodbyes.

He couldn’t see me, a little invisibility trick that I had learned from my time here. I stand there awkwardly, feeling like I was intruding on a special moment. It was obvious that I was, but I couldn’t bring myself to leave.

Finally he gets up and walks out, hesitating for only a second, but still, it was a hesitation. Something that most people would fail to do.

I look at Moon, wondering the best way to do this. Before figuring that the only way I could do it was to go to the place she was trapped in. Lucky for me, ever since switching bodies Moon and I had a special bond. Which is less creepy than it sounds. Basically, I have the ability to go into her mind, and she has the same ability to do with me.

The problem was, it wasn’t scientifically proven to be possible yet. One thing I did know for sure was that the process was pretty much fatal. I shake out my arms, jumping slightly in place. All the while wondering if I really had what it took to sacrifice myself for the greater good. I wasn’t a hero. But I wasn’t yet a villain. I close

my eyes, wondering if I really had what it took to rise up and take lead. To save the world.

Truthfully, I didn’t think so. There was no way. I couldn’t think of anything that would make it possible. I inhale deeply, holding my breath before slowly letting it out. Keeping my eyes closed. Finally I open them, and walk towards the door. From the Hospital House I can see the majority of Godville.

I nod to myself, I would do it. For these people. My friends. My family. My life. I look around, before turning back to Moon. Closing the door. How could heroes do it? Save the world, every single day, without anyone knowing that it was them doing it.

I grab a knife, cutting open my palm, and letting my blood drop onto the floor. A quick incantation and I felt my mind disperse.

۝

I sit up coughing, eyes wide, and choking on water. I roll over, puking up water, before looking around.

“What the hell?!” Moon exclaims, glaring at me.

“Did you just try to kill me?” I demand.

Yes!” Moon snaps.

I blink, “For some very strange reason I was kind of not expecting that answer. Or I was hoping that you would at least lie.”

“Lie?!” Moon growls. “What are you doing here?!”

“I’m not looking for you,” I say, shaking my head. “Not yet anyway.”

“What? Where the hell are we? Why is everyone ignoring me?” Moon asks. “How did you get here? Who are you looking for?”

“The short version? You’re locked inside your own brain, I’m looking for someone that you used to be in the past. You don’t really exist here therefore no one can hear or see you. I got here because of a bond that we’ve been sharing ever since we swapped bodies,” I rant.

That’s the short version?” Moon demands.

“Yes,” I say. “You’ve missed a lot. Been comatose for a while now. To put it this way. Clotho is evil, she recruited someone named Caltaya. Who was a queen and a goddess in the past. She still is. You used to be her sister.”

“Whoa, slow down. What’s going on?” Moon asks.

“I don’t have time for this!” I growl.

“You better find the time!” Moon says. “Now tell me.”

“This is a bit more complicated than that,” I point out. “Basically you’re a reincarnated Ice Queen. Who used to be related to a Fire Queen named Caltaya. You

killed the love of her life, locked her up now she’s back for revenge and going to burn the world!”

“See that, I understood,” Moon says. “Wasn’t that complicated.”

“It’s a bit more complicated than that,” I repeat.

“Yeah but sometimes you have to dumb it down for all of us little people,” Moon says, rolling her eyes. “So tell me, what do I have to do?” I ask.

“Nothing,” I say. “I have to keep looking for the Ice version of you. She should be lurking around here somewhere.”

“I can help!” Moon says. “What better person to find me than me?”

I hesitate.

“Look, I need to do something. If this… Caltaya is planning on burning down the world, then I have to try and stop her. Please, you have to let me help,” Moon says.

“No,” I say.

“Wait, what?” she says.

No,” I repeat.

“I was expecting maybe a little bit of a different response than that. Maybe something more like, ‘Yeah Moon, I would love to have your help, thank you sooo much’. So how about you try again?” Moon says.

I give her a look, “Do not think for one moment that I am anything less than a villain. I do not need, nor want, your help.”

“Clato,” Moon says, giving me a different kind of look. “The fact that you’re even here proves that you are a hero.”

I look at her as her words sink in. I wanted so much for that to be true. But I knew that it wasn’t. She had to know it to.

“You’re wrong,” I say. “I’m only here because I don’t want to crash and burn because of something you did. Do not mistake my self-preservation for heroism.”

“You forget, I was you, for the longest time,” Moon says. “I know how much you care. About everything and everyone. I know who you really are!”

“No!” I snap at her.

“Clato! Denying it doesn’t make it any less true!” Moon snaps back.

“I don’t care!” I cry out. Tears threatening to spill. “I’m gone okay? I’m not a hero. I may not be a villain but there is nothing good inside of me. Do you understand? Nothing. I am just gone. There is nothing left inside me other than death, destruction, and darkness. You can’t change that. Stop trying.”

“Well, well, well,” a new voice says.

There was a demonic ring to the voice, like there was two voices speaking at once. One sounded like Moon, the other was almost god-like.

“What do we have here?” the voice continues.

I turn around, and see a different version of Moon. She had hair that was completely white, like snow, but it was tinted with blue. Streaks of rain colored blue framing her face. Blue that faded lighter and lighter the farther it got down.

Her eyes were blue, with flecks of white in them. Like snow coating frozen water. Her skin was pale, like she had never stepped out into the sun. Her makeup was minimal. And her lips were blue.

Not from lipstick, but more like if you had been standing outside for so long you were freezing. She was wearing a long dress, icy blue with a white cape. She looked every bit an ice queen. A deadly ice queen.

Other than the obvious physical changes she was exactly like Moon. She had the same facial structure, and the same height. Build. Except there was nothing that looked like Moon on the inside. She was fully cold.

“Who are you?” Moon demands.

“I’m you,” the Ice Queen replies.

“No, you’re really not,” I say.

“What?” they both ask, turning to look at me in a very creepy twin type of way.

“Well you’re Moon,” I say pointing at Moon. “And you’re Manoa.”

“But that’s my name,” Moon says.

Manoa gives her a weird look, and it was with that look that I knew the Ice Queen understood. I also got the feeling that she didn’t like Moon. Manoa’s eyes snap towards me, like she could hear what I was thinking. My eyes flicker to Moon and then back to her.

Manoa grins at me, a smile that looked so wrong on her features. Because it wasn’t full of joy and happiness like when Moon grins. Her smile was cold and bitter. Cutting into me in a way that I never thought was possible. I shiver.

“Well yes,” I say. “But you’re not the same person.”

“She’ll understand eventually,” Manoa cuts in. Even her voice was cold, and scary with the demonic ring to it. “What are you doing here? Both of you?”

“I’m in a coma apparently,” Moon says sarcastically. “And she’s here to save the world!”

Manoa looks at me again, and I wave at her, grinning as I do so. Trying to get rid of some of the awkwardness that was gathering around.

“And what does that have to do with me?” Manoa demands. “I was only summoned here because you were saying my name.”

“So you’re like Beetlejuice?” Moon asks.

My brow furrows and I look at her strange, Manoa just rolls her eyes.

“I need your help,” I say turning towards Manoa. “You need to save the world.”

Manoa raises an eyebrow, “I have the need to do nothing. Especially nothing for the world. If this world needs saving let it be saved by those who care about it.”

She turns and starts to walk away. Moon’s eyes widen and she turns on her heel and marches over to grab Manoa’s arm.

“That’s it?” She demands. “What is wrong with you? You have to at least try to help! This is the fate of the entire world we’re talking about! You can’t just sit back and watch it burn! You have to do something to help! Especially if you’re the only one that can help!”

Manoa gives her a weird look, “You’re touching my arm. If you wish to keep it, I suggest you move your hand.”

Moon’s fingers unfold slowly, and her hand clenches before dropping to her side.

“You still have to do something! If you’re the only one that can help!” Moon snaps.

“No,” Manoa says. “I really don’t have to. I have no need to be a hero.”

“So don’t be a hero!” Moon says. “You’re not much of one anyway. A hero wouldn’t have to think about saving anything. They would just do it! You’re nothing more than a coward that would rather hide out in my head than face your mistakes.”

“My mistakes?” Manoa repeats. “Don’t you mean our mistakes? After all, you were once me.”

“No,” Moon says.

“Yes,” Manoa replies.

“Fine,” Moon says. “Maybe I was once you. But at least I know how to take responsibility for my actions. I know how to face what I’ve done. To conquer the problem instead of running to hide.”

“You cannot trick me into saving the world,” Manoa says, rolling her eyes. “Don’t bother trying.”

“CALTAYA IS YOUR SISTER!” I shout. “YOU KILLED THE LOVE OF HER LIFE! NOW IT’S UP TO YOU TO MAKE IT RIGHT! SO GET OFF YOUR A*S AND DO THAT!”

Manoa’s eyes widen slightly, either because of what I said or because of the way that I said it, I wasn’t really sure. But she still gives me a solid look, that freezes me in place.

“Caltaya is imprisoned for eternity,” She snarls at me.

“Well looks like you should check the prison, cause Cal just got early release,” I say, rolling my eyes.

“What idiot would do that?!” Moon demands.

“You,” I say, whistling quietly.

“Oh, well, I’m sure that I had a good reason,” She says with an eye roll.

“Then you go save them,” Manoa says. “If it’s your fault then you go fix the mess that you’ve made.”

“You started this!” Moon growls. “And trust me, if I could fix it the last thing I would be doing right now is arguing with you!”

“Oh, well thanks a lot,” Manoa says, rolling her eyes. “Guess you haven’t realized something. You have ALWAYS been arguing with me! I’m that little voice inside your heard that tells you how stupid you’re being all the time!”

“Oh! Wonderful! So you’re the voice in my head that I always ignore! Thanks for that! I was truly concerned!” Moon says sarcastically.

“Excuse you?” Manoa snaps. “I’m the only reason that you’re still alive!”

“As if,” Moon says.

“Guys!” I snap. “Manoa. Please. You have to help save the world.”

Manoa looks at me, and once again I felt as if she was getting ready to deny having to do anything.

“Don’t you want the chance to make things right?” I ask, staring her in the eyes.

She looks at me, and for a minute I think that she was once again going to deny it. But after a minute she shakes her head.

“Fine,” she snaps. “I only want to make this right. Because I didn’t kill the Prince of Stars. I tried to save him. And I couldn’t.”

She looks down at her hands, and she slowly falls down to her knees. Blinking.

“I couldn’t save him. I created her. I made her like this. It’s my duty to make it right. That’s the only reason I’ll do this,” Manoa says.




© 2019 AirieLeva


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

19 Views
Added on May 14, 2019
Last Updated on May 14, 2019

The Forgotten Battle


Author

AirieLeva
AirieLeva

Los Angeles, CA



About
I believe that through books the world and everyone in it can still find hope, even at the darkest of times. The real heroes are the ones that you find within yourself when you and others are in need... more..

Writing
The Moment The Moment

A Poem by AirieLeva