Review of a Review

Review of a Review

A Chapter by Anthony

Twilight is love story that has a vampiric touch, which has swept many teens off their feet.  It stars Kristen Stewart (Panic Room, Zathura) as Bella, and Robert Pattison (Cedric of Harry Potter) as vampire Edward.  The movie has adapted from a series of books by Stephanie Meyer, which has been dubbed the Twilight Saga. It starts off with Bella moving to Forks to live with her father. She has her first day at school, and people try to meet her, everyone it seems, except the Cullens. When she first meets Edward It appears to her that she disgusts him. Little does she know that Edward is trying not to bite her. 

The movie adapts well from the book.  The opinions on the movie vary. Some find that the movie doesn’t portray the book like it should, and isn’t a commendable movie. Others find that the movie portrays the book well, and that it was a satisfying movie. My personal view is that the movie portrayed the book fairly well, but could have used some improvement. The cast for the most part was good, yet there were a couple instances that may have been better picked.

Some critics have given pretty good marks for Twilight.  Owen Gleiberman at Entertainment Weekly gave Twilight a B. He has said Stewart is an ideal casting choice �" she conveys Bella's detachment, as well as her need to bust through it.”  One weakness of the film he critiqued was:   “On screen, Twilight is repetitive and a tad sodden, too prosaic to really soar.”  Another critic, Will Lawrence at Empire, has found that Catherine Hardwicke hits top gear from the outset, rattling through the early exposition and never once allowing the painful teen brooding that floods Meyer’s book to overflow into insipidness.” One of the weaknesses in the film he found was:  “And yet, while she does have action credentials (working on Three Kings before shooting Dogtown), the sequences are occasionally predictable, the wire-work sometimes obvious.”

Overall, I thought that the movie itself was a good representation of the book, and I anxiously await the sequels. Most of the movie was good, with only a few tweaks that I would have made. So the score I’d give to twilight is a 4/5.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Review worksheet below:

 

 

 

 

Name: PVT Rhodes, Anthony

Date: 28 Oct 2009

 

Movie/Music Review Worksheet 1

 

Album or Film Selected: Twilight

Band, Singer, or Director: Catherine Hardwicke

Year of Release: 2008

 

Review 1 Information

 

Author (if provided): Owen Gleiberman

Web site or publication (if a web site include address): http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20241357,00.html

Date: Nov 19, 2008

Score (if provided): B

 

Quote something the reviewer saw as a strength:

Stewart is an ideal casting choice �" she conveys Bella's detachment, as well as her need to bust through it.”

 

Quote something the reviewer saw as a weakness:

 “On screen, Twilight is repetitive and a tad sodden, too prosaic to really soar.”

 

Quote a statement you agree with:

She has reconjured Meyer's novel as a cloudburst mood piece filled with stormy skies, rippling hormones, and understated visual effects.”

 

 

Quote a statement you disagree with:

“And getting Catherine Hardwicke to direct Twilight was a shrewd move”

 

Review 2 Information

 

Author (if provided): Will Lawrence

Web site or publication (if a web site include address): http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=135600

Date: N/A

Score (if provided): 4/5

 

Quote something the reviewer saw as a strength:

 Catherine Hardwicke hits top gear from the outset, rattling through the early exposition and never once allowing the painful teen brooding that floods Meyer’s book to overflow into insipidness.”

 

Quote something the reviewer saw as a weakness:

 “And yet, while she does have action credentials (working on Three Kings before shooting Dogtown), the sequences are occasionally predictable, the wire-work sometimes obvious.”

 

Quote a statement you agree with:

 “Despite the presence of vampires, Twilight is a romance, not a horror, and anyone hoping to sink their teeth into a juicy gore-fest will be disappointed.”

 

Quote a statement you disagree with:

N/A



© 2010 Anthony


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

579 Views
Added on February 18, 2010
Last Updated on February 18, 2010


Author

Anthony
Anthony

Council Bluffs, IA



About
I'm not normal in any case (Feel free to ask away). I enjoy reading to get a release into someone else's world. I enjoy writing to share my world. My Story "Fallen Mortality" Was started a couple year.. more..

Writing
Ties Ties

A Poem by Anthony


Ripples Ripples

A Poem by Anthony