The American Party System

The American Party System

A Chapter by Anthony

The American Party System has several parties, each with its own beginning and history. Two of the parties dominate the party system. The two major parties are the Republican Party, and the Democratic Party. The other parties run their own candidates, but mostly influence one major party or the other.

The Democratic Party was founded in 1792 as a congressional caucus to fight for the Bill of Rights and to oppose the Federalist Party. Dubbed the “party of the common man” it was renamed in 1798 as the Democratic-Republican Party. James Monroe led the Party during the “Era of Good Feelings” in which the Democratic-Republican Party had little opposition.   The Democratic Party is still around, and is one of the two major parties in the American Party System. Its mascot is a donkey.

The Republican Party was founded in 1854 by anti-slavery activists. It is often called the “Grand Old Party”, even though it’s the younger of the two major parties. It puts an emphasis on having a strong national defense. It is one of the two major parties in the American Party System. Its mascot is an elephant.

There are also many third parties in the American Party System. They have many diverse ideals, and they help shape our voting. There are a few more known third parties. Each has their own ideals. The Green Party and the US Taxpayers Party are a couple of those parties.

The Green Party was nationally recognized in 2001. The Green Party emphasizes on peace, respect for diversity, and environmentalism. There are many state Green Parties. There are also Green Parties Worldwide.

The US Taxpayers Party was founded in 1992. Its name was changed in 1999 to the Constitution Party. The party supports the repeal of the sixteenth and seventeenth amendments. It opposes abortion, same-sex marriage, illegal immigrants, and more.


© 2010 Anthony


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

482 Views
Added on February 18, 2010
Last Updated on February 18, 2010


Author

Anthony
Anthony

Council Bluffs, IA



About
I'm not normal in any case (Feel free to ask away). I enjoy reading to get a release into someone else's world. I enjoy writing to share my world. My Story "Fallen Mortality" Was started a couple year.. more..

Writing
Ties Ties

A Poem by Anthony


Ripples Ripples

A Poem by Anthony