The Citizen and His Government

The Citizen and His Government

A Chapter by Anthony
"

1000 Word Report

"

Youth is not a period of time. It is a state of mind, a result of the will, a quality of the imagination, a victory of courage over timidity, and the taste of adventure over the love of comfort. A man doesn't grow old because he's lived a certain number of years, he grows old because he deserts his ideal. The years may wrinkle his skins, but deserting his ideals wrinkles his soul. Preoccupation, fears, doubts, and despair are dust before death. You will remain young as long as you are open to what is beautiful, good, great and receptive to the messages of other men and women and nature and of God. If one day you should become bitter, pessimistic, and gnawed by despair, may God have mercy on your old man's soul.” 

-- Douglas MacArthur, 1880-1964
General of the U. S. Army and Supreme Commander of the U. N. forces in Korea
Chief of Allied Occupation Forces in Japan
Attributed

                The youth of this nation are becoming more proactive in involving themselves with politics. They are finding ways to influence politics and learn by helping some of the many different political parties there are. They apply themselves to many political programs to earnestly learn about how politics works, and functions. They can help out with local elections, by helping to set-up the polling or meeting places. They can learn by attending school board meetings, town or city hall meetings. By doing so they will learn about what is happening with the people, and with the government.

                Many of the nation’s youth have a growing interest in how this nation is run. They have become more active in participating and volunteering with many political groups. They attend programs such as “Boy’s State” and “Girl’s State” which run mock state governments in nearly every state in the nation. They then select representatives from each state to go on to Boys’ Nation and Girls’ Nation in Washington, D.C. The program had begun in 1935 and since then has had about 5,000,000 boys take part in the program and have learned about how a legislature is organized, and how bills are passed. Through the experiences in participating in these programs help the youth to appreciate the possibilities for a career in government. These programs are great training for those who wish to pursue their interests in politics.

                What should you look for if you are interested in pursuing a career in politics? How about some education to help you with your pursuit? College is a great way to start any pursuit for a career or more knowledge. Some college course such as those in civics, government, economics, sociology, political science, history, or problems of democracy would be an excellent start for someone interested in majoring in political science. You should also to seize any opportunity to work at the local level of government, by doing so you will learn about the issues and needs of the town as well as any political happenings.

                Everyone has picked up interest in our nation’s government, and is willing to spend at least a small amount of time in finding out what’s happening. Without at least a slight amount of knowledge, no one would be able to properly elect our government’s officials. Nor would they understand most of what those officials are doing to help. By partaking in learning a little bit about politics, everyone is able to better understand what politics is, and how it affects our lives every day.



© 2010 Anthony


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3142 Views
Added on February 18, 2010
Last Updated on February 18, 2010


Author

Anthony
Anthony

Council Bluffs, IA



About
I'm not normal in any case (Feel free to ask away). I enjoy reading to get a release into someone else's world. I enjoy writing to share my world. My Story "Fallen Mortality" Was started a couple year.. more..

Writing
Ties Ties

A Poem by Anthony


Ripples Ripples

A Poem by Anthony