Twenty-three

Twenty-three

A Chapter by Isemay

Night had fallen and his men were resting in shifts, but Volas couldn’t bring himself to sleep. He paced in front of the window in the dark with the draperies open keeping an eye on the path.


“Your Highness…” One of the servants brought a lamp.


“Cover it!”


The cover came down.


“You’re making us all concerned, your Highness.”


Volas sighed. He felt exhausted and restless. The overpowering feeling that something was wrong ate at him. A movement outside the window, caught from the corner of his eye made him turn to see it more clearly. “Ellus.”


He was hurrying down to learn what had brought the man back in the blink of an eye. Had the healer been sent away from Marravae? Was she well?


“Open the door! Allow him through!” Volas barked the commands. 


Moments later the healer came through the doors and bowed. “How are you feeling, your Highness?” Ellus came toward him with a frown. “I-”


“Why are you here? Is Marravae-”


“I’ll go back in the morning. I spoke with one of the Cuphisian healers. He felt I needed to be aware of the truth of the matter to best help her. The King commanded ymetel to be put in the Zophin without his son’s knowledge.”


“Ymetel…” Volas rubbed his face and wanted to laugh. “He’s a fool.”


“The more so because his son takes a sleeping draught. That is what was put in the drink intended for Prince Gaeleath. He could have killed his own son.”


Volas nodded with a sense of trepidation. “Marravae and Gaeleath?”


“To be allowed to slip away and make certain you were well, I had to allow the Cuphisian healers to look after them. I advised them that if either of their Highnesses were suffering from the ymetel, they do have Arek in the line, to give them a few drops of bitters in hot water and let them pace until they tired enough to sleep. Walking it out is the best cure.”


“I’ve been pacing for hours. I feel exhausted and restless, but there is a feeling of…” He shook his head trying to summon up the words.


“A feeling of impending doom?” Ellus smiled faintly. “That is one of the symptoms the ymetel causes. It also may bring paranoia, nervous laughter, trembling, and chills for a day or more afterwards depending on how much was consumed. Princess Marravae had several of the symptoms earlier. They had subsided after she paced and took bitters one of her Ladies had brought. The girl is from Sey and they were made with Arek Ecor.”


“Good.” He felt as if a weight was lifting.


“You will need to send messengers a second time. King-”


“I know. They have been sent. One of the Ladies sent a carefully worded missive of thanks and informed me.”


“Princess Marravae surrounds herself with impressive women.” The man frowned and glanced at the door. “One of whom was poisoned as she tasted the Princess’ food.”


“Poisoned?” Volas felt the weight coming back down.


“Princess Myrae takes the small doses of poison to prevent pregnancies as many Cuphisian women do. She was told that giving a dose to Princess Marravae would be the same as giving her deadly poison. Princess Myrae commanded a strong dose to be given, strong enough to make Lady Aleesia feel ill from tasting the soup and bread.”


He felt his fists clenching.


“Princess Marravae had none. Clean food was brought, prepared by the Cemiri servants or at least overseen by them. I was told that Princess Myrae will be leaving to visit her mother’s family in the morning. King Merin is adamant that Princess Marravae and Prince Gaeleath are not permitted to leave. He is attempting to force a reconciliation between his son and the Princess first. The Cemiri Prince is treading carefully, the man is clever.”


Volas nodded and let some of the tension out of his hands. “Gaeleath is no warrior but he has a quick mind.”


“I didn’t approve of him leaving his knife with his sister-”


Breaking into laughter, Volas waved his hand at the sudden concerned look on the healer’s face and managed to compose himself.


“Her father dotes on her. She hunts and the woman knows how to fight, perhaps better than her brother. I pity the man who disturbs her in the night.”


“Her brother said the same.” Ellus relaxed somewhat. “I was afraid she might cut herself.”


“Merciless Marravae handled my hunting knife as well as I do when I lent it to her. It eases my mind to know she has a blade.” Volas smiled wryly, “It may be why her father allowed her to learn to use one. A man may hope his daughter will always be protected but I can see the comfort in knowing she is capable of protecting herself. Had she not been poisoned…”


“If she rests well tonight she may be able to travel in the morning. Prince Gaeleath gave his word to their servants that none of them would be left behind. I suspect that at least one of the Ladies is seeking a way to get them all out of the palace.”


“If they allow you to return, tell the Cemiri that we will assist in any way we can and that I will not attempt to leave without them. I expect a response from our fathers promptly.” Volas allowed himself a grim smile, “A well-armed response.”


“I will relay the message if I have the chance.” Ellus looked more at ease. “I will return as soon as you’ve had some bitters. You have no other difficulties from the ymetel?”


“No.” Stretching and suddenly feeling as if he could sleep, Volas offered another wry smile, “I feel better knowing why I’ve felt this way and knowing that Marravae has a knife.”


The healer returned his smile. “She also has two of her Ladies by her side. One is nearly Arek, Lady Ossa of Sey, and the other, Lady Aleesia, would give her life for the Princess. I suspect they came to find husbands in order to stay by her side.”


“I will find them worthy men in Arek.” Volas gestured for the man to walk with him.



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on March 2, 2021
Last Updated on March 2, 2021
Tags: royalty, drama, fantasy


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay