Twenty-four

Twenty-four

A Chapter by Isemay

“I doubt it’s necessary,” Gaeleath lifted his hand to stop Lady Anrae from interrupting him, “but I will stay with you both if you would feel more comfortable.” 


“Thank you, your Highness.” Lady Celaena dimpled at him.


“I think my sister intended me to stay with you.” He smiled wryly. “The moment I told Lady Anrae that Marravae asked her to look after me-”


“-Was the moment you lost the battle.” The impishly smiling woman nodded.


Anrae laughed. “We do feel better with you here with us. Knowing you’re safe puts our minds at ease at least as much as having your protection.”


“I left my knife with my sister, I won’t be much protection.” Gaeleath tried to stifle a yawn.


“I have one.” Celaena spoke up cheerfully. “My father insisted I bring one. He’s half Arek and he has…” she wrinkled her nose, opinions about Cuphisians.”


Gaeleath started to laugh and had a great deal of difficulty stopping. A knock came at the door and a nervous looking Cuphisian healer entered the room.


“Your Highness?”


Perhaps it was tiredness but the look on the man’s face, paired with the innocent look on Celaena’s as she held something in the sleeve of her robe made his laughter begin again.


“How long has he been laughing?”


“A few moments… I suspect tiredness is the cause.” Anrae frowned. “Why?”


“Do you have any bitters?” 


The man’s nervousness suddenly became less amusing and Gaeleath took a few deep breaths and managed to compose himself.


“Why?” Gaeleath rubbed at his face and shivered, remembering Marravae taking them earlier.


“I…” 


The healer sighed and then looked at the door pointedly. One of the Cemiri maids closed it and held it that way.


The man began speaking hurriedly in a hushed tone, “The matter of what was given to Princess Marravae was made clear. King Merin added ymetel to the Zophin. He didn’t know of the effects it has on Areks or those with Arek blood. It was done innocently with the expectation that it would aid the Princes in finding common ground.


“When Prince Myrin added the sleeping drops he’d brought for himself it became very dangerous. He could have poisoned himself easily.”


“Ymetel…” Gaeleath shivered again and tried not to laugh. “Ellus needs to return to Volas and make certain-”


“He was sent. The Arek made certain we knew the symptoms to look for, paranoia, profound unrest, uncontrolled laughter, trembling and chills.” He gestured toward Gaeleath, “The Arek said that if you or her Highness were suffering from the effects, which can last for a day or more, to give you bitters in hot water. Drops only. And to encourage you to walk.”


The thought of Marravae armed and having a fit of paranoia sent another chill down his spine. A glance at Anrae showed she’d had the same thought.


“I need to go to my sister. If you’ve sent a healer to her room he may not be safe.”


The man looked concerned as he glanced at the servants. “Fetch bitters and hot water. The Princess may be resting. It may be best-”


“Lady Ossa is the one who brought bitters and she’s with her Highness.” Anrae interjected smoothly. “We’ll all go. Walking would do him good.”


He noted that two of their servants followed along and two remained as if guarding the rooms as Anrae led the way to the room Marravae was recovering in.


“Why was her Highness moved out of her rooms?” Celaena asked curiously. The woman’s expression was innocent and cheerful.


“The room she’s in now is intended for members of the royal family who are ill or recovering from childbirth.” The man inclined his head. “It is easy to warm, the bedding is made to be comfortable but easily cleaned. There are no carvings for vomit…” He trailed off looking a little abashed.


“That makes a great deal of sense.” Celaena gave the Cuphisian an approving smile and he relaxed.


“The room is still appointed well enough for royalty.” The healer dipped his head. “It may be small but it is comfortable.”


“Your Highness! Please!” echoed in the hall and Gaeleath broke into a run.


In front of Marravae’s room a healer and the two soldiers standing guard were trying to push the door open.


On seeing him, the healer shook his head, “I think she’s gone mad. The door is barricaded.”


“She hasn’t gone mad, my sister was nervous when I left.” Gaeleath held up his hands and gestured for the men to back away from the door. Placing his hand on it he spoke into where it met the solid frame in Cemiriss. “Marravae? It’s me. Will you open the door?”


The sound of something moving against the door was followed by it opening a crack and Aleesia peeking out.


“Your Highness, Princess Marravae began to shiver and pace and she’s so nervous she thought someone was peeking in the window.”


“There was ymetel in the Zophin.”


The door closed and he heard more things being moved. It opened wider.


“Are they mad?! Has Ellus gone to be certain Prince Volas isn’t having ill effects?” Ossa pulled the door open for him. 


“Yes. That’s why Cuphisian healers came to look in on me and on Marravae. He left orders to have us given a few drops of bitters in hot water and for us to walk. I assume until he can be fetched.”


“Until you feel you can rest.” The healer nearby cleared his throat. “Your Highness.”


“Do Cuphisians not know how it affects Areks and those with Arek lineage?” Celaena sounded innocently curious and he didn’t need to look at the woman to know her face mirrored her tone.


“We know that the effects can be unpredictable with Areks but…” a glance at the healer showed a man desperately trying to find a way not to speak ill of his King, “some who understand the effects less may think a smaller dose would lessen those effects while-”


“Please see to it that those people understand how profound the aftereffects can be even with a very small dose.” He held out his hand for his knife as he entered and saw Marravae holding it at the ready. “I’m here. The healers may feel more at ease if no one is brandishing a weapon.”


“There was a face in the window!”


“A reflection,” Aleesia sounded worried.


“Have hot water fetched, our servants only.” Gaeleath gave the woman a nod. “If Lady Ossa will share her bitters again my sister and I will take them and I will walk with her until we both feel ready to sleep.”


He couldn’t help but shiver glancing at the window. With the lamps lit their reflections looked a little eerie. 


“Of course.” 


Lady Anrae came into the room and closed the two small windows that were open before pulling the drapes. “Perhaps you can walk in the hall? It might do her Highness good to step out of the room for a few moments?”


Marravae nodded and took a deep breath finally giving him his knife back and allowing Anrae and Aleesia to help her into a robe.


Leading his sister into the hall, they paced to one corner and turned back. The guards looked uncertain and more than a little nervous themselves.


The Ladies were spaced evenly down the hall like sentinels in robes and night clothes. 



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on March 2, 2021
Last Updated on March 2, 2021
Tags: royalty, drama, fantasy


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay