Twenty-eight

Twenty-eight

A Chapter by Isemay

Standing outside of his sister’s door, Gaeleath considered his options carefully.


“You intend to prevent me from visiting my sister?” 


If he tried to push past he would discover very quickly whether the guards intended him harm or not and, against two, even his concealed dagger might not be enough.


“We were given a royal command, no one enters without-”


“Allow him to enter.” A Cuphisian healer joined them with a frown. “Forgive them, your Highness. The command was intended for the Princess’ safety.”


Gaeleath didn’t answer, opening the door and stepping in to see Marravae and both of the Ladies asleep and curled in the bed. He felt the worry melting somewhat.


Ossa opened her eyes and then made a gesture for them to be quiet. She carefully climbed out of bed and shooed them out.


“She walked until nearly dawn, your Highness. Celaena kept her company until Prince Myrin retired and then I took my turn. He stayed and walked for most of the night.”


“Has Ellus come to look after her?”


“No.” 


Gaeleath turned his frown to the Cuphisian healer. “Where is Ellus?”


“I will have him fetched.” The man bowed and stepped away.


The door cracked open and Celaena peeked out with concern. “She hasn’t gone far, and Prince Gaeleath is here.” 


Stepping back into the room, this time without interference, he saw Marravae looking a little paler than usual, sitting up and rubbing her eyes. 


“I was worried…” 


“So was I. They didn’t want to let me in to see you this morning. You walked all night?”


“Nearly I think. I couldn’t shake my restlessness. Myrin behaved himself, he was charming.”


“He was trying very hard to be.” Celaena gave Marravae a surprisingly pointed look and made a very Arek gesture with her finger under her eye suggesting deceitfulness.


“I know.” She gave the woman a tired smile. 


“What do you know, my dove?” Myrin came into the room looking much less tired than the Ladies.


“That you spent a lot of effort to be so charming last night while we were walking.” Marravae’s chin came up slightly as she offered a polite smile and Gaeleath felt his own smile warming. 


“It was barely an effort.” The Cuphisian hadn’t caught enough of their conversation to know what was meant, and he looked pleased with himself. “I rarely have anyone to stay awake with me on nights that sleep escapes me. To have your company and gossip from the Arek Court was a delight.” 


“Gossip?” Gaeleath glanced at his sister and then at Celaena. “Not about Volas?”


Myrin laughed and put a hand on his shoulder. “I could only dream of that. No, his brothers begging for your sister’s hand and causing trouble for their father.”


Putting on a half smile, he shook his head, “I would have been cross with them both if they’d shared gossip I hadn’t heard yet.” How much they’d made up he wasn’t certain but it wasn’t a bad ploy to make the Cuphisian Prince see Volas as less of a threat.


“You both seem to be better this morning. Why was the Arek healer sent for?” Myrin’s question sounded innocent but there was an undertone that Gaeleath knew to be wary of.


“I want him to be certain that Marravae is well this morning. She may have walked off the effects last night but I want his assessment. I also wanted to ask how Volas is feeling.”


“Ah. Volas may be joining us for breakfast. An invitation was sent and perhaps if the effects have worn off for him as well he may be confident enough to accept it. My father wanted to broach the subject of the messengers and discuss things once heads had cooled.”


“It may be best to have us at the table.” Gaeleath inclined his head. “And perhaps have him wait until we’ve all eaten and the mood is cheerful.”


“Very wise.” Myrin looked pleased and patted his shoulder.  “We should allow the Ladies to dress. They can join us when they’re finished.”


Marravae gave him a nod and he stepped out with Myrin.


“The difference this morning is noticeable.” The Cuphisian folded his arms behind himself as they walked down the hall. “I had concerns last night, especially when Lady Celaena insisted on joining the conversation I was having with Marravae, but the woman lifted her spirits and kept her mind off of heavy matters and her nervousness.”


“Lady Celaena is a delight. All of my sister’s Ladies were chosen carefully.” Gaeleath glanced at Myrin’s speculative expression. “It was hoped that they may find husbands and remain with her-”


Myrin started to laugh and then nodded. “That would be no difficulty I'm certain. Celaena was chosen for her cheerfulness, the others?”


“Lady Aleesia of Drathe is loyal, she insisted on tasting my sister’s food.”


“Yes. That is immensely valuable.” The Cuphisian nodded again.


“Lady Ossa is our close cousin on our mother’s side, her father is the Duke of Sey. And Lady Anrae is a more distant cousin on our father’s side, her eldest brother is the Duke of Ibres.” 


Stopping, Myrin gave him a baffled smile, “You brought the finest Ladies of your Court to marry into mine?”


“There were concerns that my sister would have difficulties. Friendly, loyal Ladies who have more patience for the intrigues of Court than she does seemed prudent to bring. There is no guarantee that they could find husbands, but suggesting they look does no harm.”


“The trade ties alone that could be solidified would be a gift, Gaeleath! I could have introduced them to the appropriate…” 


He could see the wheels turning in Myrin’s mind.


“You are too clever.” The Cuphisian gave him an approving smile, “You were waiting until I solidified the match with your sister. They were here to look and to consider.”


“You wouldn’t expect me to part with the finest Ladies of my Court if you or Marravae had flatly refused the match.”


“I will see to it Myrae brings the best of ours when she comes to you.”


Gaeleath hesitated and Myrin lifted his hand and gestured for them to begin walking once more.


“I understand your hesitation but Myrae is undeniably beautiful and she can be charming and affectionate. This entire matter will be settled and I’ve become enamored of the thought of trading sisters.


“Once you come to know each other I’m certain you’ll adore each other.”


“If we don’t she may poison me.” Gaeleath shook his head. “You may not have meant harm to my sister, but she did. If the circumstances were reversed, Myrin-”


“It would be difficult to see past.” The man nodded with an annoyed expression. “I love my sister but she can be incredibly childish. As long as she hasn’t ruined relations entirely I should be grateful.”


Childish. Attempted murder was childish? Gaeleath put on a polite smile and remained silent. As they walked in silence for a moment, an older man hurried toward them. 


“Your Highnesses.” He bowed stopping in front of them. “King Merin has asked that Prince Gaeleath come to help diffuse a situation.”


“What situation?” Myrin rubbed his temples.


“Prince Volas has brought nearly all of his men and his own servants.”


“Father said he could have a small entourage.” Myrin waved his hand, “A large one can be asked to wait-”


“They’re armed, Myrin.” Gaeleath couldn’t conceal his amusement and the Cuphsian gave him an annoyed look.


“Yes, your Highness.”


“Is he still suffering from the ymetel?” Myrin eyed him as if he were trying to trick him.


“I suspect not. If he were he wouldn’t have accepted the invitation at all. His servants should be allowed to observe with my servants or at least discuss what my servants have observed in the kitchens. And if your father is truly apologetic for the ymetel, he will allow the soldiers to stand guard over their Prince. 


“You have to be careful how you greet an Arek if soldiers are involved. Too many tells him that he’s in danger, as when you greeted us with so many on our return from the forest. This display is meant to remind you that Arek can protect their Prince. If you don’t allow it you add insult to injury.


“It may make breakfast a little tense but as long as no one misbehaves it won’t be more than that. They will need to be absolutely certain that the food is clean.”


“Relay that to my father immediately and inform him that we’re on our way.”



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on March 3, 2021
Last Updated on March 3, 2021
Tags: royalty, drama, fantasy


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay