Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Chapter 7: Wedding - DUCHEY

Chapter 7: Wedding - DUCHEY

A Chapter by Pakino
"

the most intence part of the story. THIS CHAPTER IS IMPORTANT AND IS A TURNING POINT.

"

 

Chapter 7

 

The Wedding – DUCHEY

 

“Have thou studied the map,” Leo inquired a low ranking thief.

“Ay, my young Lord.”

“Good, send word for my brother.”

Leo stood outside the gates towards the mansion of Julianus, wearing formal banquet attire and a ceremonial sword. It was late evening and the line up of carriages spread through the side streets creating a line up of carriages awaiting their turn to enter the mansion.

Leo looked with amusement at the sight and began to grind into an apple.

 “Even nobles are wretched creatures with no pride.”

Within moments a chauffer began to yell at a carriage in front of him for cutting him off. The voice of the chauffeur echoed across the pond where Leo sat waiting for Dennis. Leo began to laugh hysterically at the sight and continued to relish the sweet taste of the apple.

“Nobles, such animals are they not?”

Leo looked over and noticed a man beside him. At a glance it would seem that he was fairly the same age as Dennis and we had a mysterious aura surrounding him.  He too wore banquet clothes and was staring directly at the mansion ahead, as if watching a prey.

            Leo stood up and said, “Forgive my manners! Sebastian and your name My Lord.”

The man smiled and looked at Dennis and said, “Smith will do. Nobles we are but are manners get lost with time.”

Leo smiled at the old man and said, “Ay, spoken true My Lord. The state of nobles is a mess.”

The man let out a slight laugh and began to walk towards the mansion, “I must make haste Sebastian, tonight we will drink together. I will await.”

“How can a man resist the word of a gentlemen, I shall accept your offer.”

The man let out a smile and continued towards the mansion.

“Idle talk does no good, how many ears do you need fore you to understand?”

“Father! What are you doing here?” Leo asked in surprise. He was expecting Leo. But by the looks of it Grimwell came along with Dennis.

“Father, whishes to observe,” said Dennis as he came towards Leo’s side.

“Do not fear, I shall go unattended,” Grimwell quickly left Dennis and Leo as he made his way towards the mansion. Dennis stared at Grimwell until he reached the gates and then turned his attention towards Leo.

“Are the preparations ready?”

“Ay,” replied Leo, “May the virgin bless us on our call of duty,” Leo said as he began to signal the cross. Dennis rolled his eyes at Leo and continued to walk towards the mansion ignoring Leo.

            Both brothers let out a smile and made their way into the mansion. Inside the mansion a grand chandelier lay in the middle of the room lighting up the entire floor. The glitter of the walls and the hand painted drawings of family lineage hung on the wall. It seemed a bit of a fantasy at first sight. Dennis and Leo were slightly shocked. They had not once noticed so many nobles about absorbed in idle chit chat.

It was reception time as the brothers entered the vicinity. No one had paid any attention to them what so ever. Without being questioned at the door about their relationship with the Grand Marshall they quickly blended within the crowd and began to chat with the daughter’s of other nobles.

In such a short time the mood of the reception turned towards the two brothers. For a moment during the reception, bachelors waiting for a lovely virgin to come towards them began to sneer at the brothers. Without creating any more hostility amongst the crowds Dennis and Leo quickly backed away finding a seat for themselves.

“Where is Father?” Asked Leo as he began to look around.

“If there are widows, Father is sure to be found,” said Dennis with a smile.

The sound of a bell began to ring as a page came down the grand stair case. His voice was out of breath as he began to speak.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, Members of Parliament and her spirit of her Queen. I announce to you Ana Paries and the Grand Marshall Julianus.

A standing ovation was occurred followed by the groom and bride entering the floor. Julianus bore a smile on his face and seemed content, as for Ana she held close to Julianus as if afraid of something.

“Ana, prepare to die!” Came a voice as sharp as a hawk. It was the man earlier which met Leo at the pond. He quickly unsheated out a dagger from his pocket and threw it at Ana. However, one of the guests quickly stepped in protecting the couple taking the fatal strike of the attack.

Realizing his failed attempt at assassinating Ana the man quickly ran towards the balcony and made a hasty retreat.

“Guards seal the room,” shouted Ana.

Instantly the guards quickly closed the doors allowing for no escape.

“At haste kill the fugitive!” Julianus said to the guard beside him, “Take this corpse away and make sure he is buried as a martyr.”

The remaining guests looked in awe at what was happening. Leo and Dennis exchanged worried looks. There plan to assassinate the Grand Marshall was taking a surprise turn.

“There are thieves amongst us,” said Ana in a cold tone, “A mysterious character has slipped today without any warning. Such stealth is fit for a thief.”

Leo and Dennis looked around and began to panic. Had they been caught? Did this woman, the wife of Julianus, find out their real identity?
            Ana raised a finger and directed it towards Grimwell and said, “Grimwell of the Duchey you are under arrest for treason”

Grimwell quickly ran towards the nearest guard and punched him in the face knocking him back allowing him time to steal his sword. The guards of the mansion quickly ran towards the staircase in haste towards Grimwell.

However, like a mad man caught in flames Grimwell ran towards the balcony doors and stabbed the guard and began to make a retreat. As Grimwell made his move n arrow hit the door preventing Grimwell to make any advance.

The archer aimed his arrow once more making sure his aim is true and that this time he wouldn’t miss. Leo quickly ran towards the archer and grabbed his short sword on his belt and threw it at the archer landing at his head.

“Another rat has appeared,” Julianus mumbled to himself as he began to take amusement from the events. At this point the guests had backed away from the ongoing battle and were covering their eyes as if an arrow hit them.

Leo quickly ran towards Grimwell’s aid as he soon found himself surrounded by guards. Realizing their stealth was broken Dennis ran towards their aid.

For the moment the Duchey were fighting against the enemy, not a single thought ran through their head. Slash after slash, a puddle of blood began to form as the guards were experiencing defeat. Bodies after bodies lay on the ground and immediately began to decay. Dennis quickly kicked open the door and shouted, “Over here!”

As the last remaining body fell on the ground, Grimwell began to grab his breath. Suffering the brunt of the attack large cut wounds began to stain the silk shirt. Grimwell slowly turned around and began to follow Dennis and Leo when all of a sudden a loud bang was heard.

Leo and Dennis stared at Julianus who held a rifle in his hand. A large grin appeared over his face as he lowered the rifle. The strength in Grimwell began to fade as he fell on his knees. His face turned white, blood oozed from his mouth. Even as Grimwell faced death he wore a smile. As his thoughts raced towards his sons, Grimwell’s smile faded realizing the reality of their situation. He hoped for their success.

“FATHER!” Shouted Dennis as he ran towards Julianus in rage. Dennis grabbed his father’s sword along the way and poised the tip of the blade at Julianus.

Julianus was prepared for the oncoming attack and quickly released his rapier at Julianus parrying his attack.

“Heathen! The earth shall quench your blood,” shouted Dennis as he spit on Julianus eye distracting him. Noticing the moment Dennis quickly lowered his blade allowing steel to meet bone, cutting the arm of Julianus with one stroke.

“Dennis! Make haste!”  Shouted Leo as he joined the action.

Dennis looked back momentarily at Leo and said, “Flee without me and save our honor.”

“Dennis!”

It was too late; the inner quarters summoned another brigade of guards to the scene. As possessed like his old man, Dennis fought with valor against the enemy. Julianus, quickly slid away from the attack while holding on to his open wound. Ana quickly came beside him and used a piece of her gown to seal the wound.

“Live Dennis!” Shouted Leo as he fled the scene. Tears flowed from his eyes. With each step Leo’s heart felt heavy. He wondered if leaving his brother to die against the hands of the enemy was the only way.

A loud explosion was heard from the mansion, as Leo quickly stopped to look back. The source of the explosion was unknown however he noticed Dennis escape from the opening and running into the forest. Leo raised his hand forward as if he were able to catch Dennis in his grasp. Leo knew however that in order to restore their family name he needed to live. The last survivor of the Duchey, the last blood.



© 2008 Pakino


Author's Note

Pakino
I had a blast writing this segment of the book. Enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
Added on May 25, 2008


Author

Pakino
Pakino

Toronto



About
Student at Ryerson University. Martial Artist (Kendo) Guitarist Gamer (RPG w00t) Anime And pure randomness more..

Writing
Beast Within Beast Within

A Poem by Pakino


Death Death

A Poem by Pakino