Chapter 9: Sorrow- DUCHEY

Chapter 9: Sorrow- DUCHEY

A Chapter by Pakino
"

Arcturus makes an appearance to the Duchey!

"

Chapter 9: Sorrow- DUCHEY

 

Leo sat in his father’s chair, the very same chair that his father sat as he gave orders and observed the fate of their family. Passed down from generation to generation the leather on the chair seemed as if it hadn’t ages a month. As time passed doubts of the future of the family would rise in his head as he began to struggle the fate to come. The sudden departure of Dennis and Grimwell, had left Leo unprepared mentality for the task and it seemed that at any moment his entire being would collapse.   

The only thing that diminished such thoughts was the Holy Spathia. The sight of the Holy Spathia rekindled the lost pride and honor of the Duchey. After hours of intence meditation, Leo decided it was time to leave the room and took the Holy Spathia along with him.

“My Lord, the Lady Marcie would like audience with thee,” came the voice of a servant as he noticed Leo emerge from the room.

“Ay, lead me to her grace,” said Leo as his emotions began to quell within him.

Leo was lead into the audience room and noticed that everyone was away only Marcie stood with Isabelle. Leo gestured the man to leave allowing the three to have a private conversation amongst themselves.

“My Lord, is it true?” Came Marcie’s voice tangled with sorrow and fear.

“Marcie please restrain. Leo shall do, no formalities. Ay, Dennis has left this world to be with our Holy Father,” Leo replied  softly staring at the ground below.

Marcie fell to the ground broken in tears. She slowly placed her hands on her stomach and said, “A fatherless child shall only know despair.”

“Marcie, you are my brother’s love and I treat thee as kin. Do not halter I shall make sure the child grows strong.”

“Marcie,” said Isabelle, “Trust Leo trust in your lovers brother.”

“Ay, the blood of the Duchey run through his veins. I shall make sure no harm comes to him.”

The doors to the chamber immediately opened as the servant before appeared drenched with sweat said, “My Lord, Intruder!”

Leo immediately forgot Marcie’s current state of affairs and ran out through the doors, “Send word to the thieves to defend the unarmed, I shall hound the assassin.”

Extending the Holy Spathia Leo ran outside and was confronted a mob of confusion. The thieves began to scramble trying to find the whereabouts of the enemy. A few crossbows while the rest carried short swords.

“Above over there!” Came a shout from one of the thieves as he pointed to the roof of a house. A white clothed figure quickly hid from view. Arrows flew at his direction however were halted by the wood shielding the intruder from harm.

“You there! Scatter and hunt the beast!” Shouted Leo fury flowing through his veins. The state of confusion amongst his men made him worry. If this was an attack by the nobles, their current state would not be enough to hold a defense.

Leo quickly ran ahead and jumped onto a wall and began to climb the exterior. The thieves below were in awe at Leo’s agility, for they have never seen their Lord in action before and upon witnessing his strength. A cheer rose amonsgst the thieves as they rushed through the streets, their morale increased tenfold. However Leo’s thoughts were not on the morale of the troops it was to kill the enemy before information gets leaked.

From above Leo noticed the figure running south, his white attire blended well in the day. Typically an assassin would complete their mission in the night to allow them to blend in the night. A day mission as this would be unfavorable and Leo questioned the approach of the enemy.  

Grabbing his sword Leo placed the side on his head and said, “May the virgin bless us on our call of duty.”

Leo began to run with speed as he leaped from house to house gaining distance and inching his blade towards the throat of the enemy. The roofs are Leo’s home territory, as a child he and Dennis would run at play games at the top. They knew the distance of each house and the fastest route. The enemy had failed to foresee this change in strategy and soon was confronted with Leo.

Blades met one another as Leo made effort to strike at the man’s chest.  The cloaked man blocked it with his dagger. Leo let out a smile and said, “Skilled aren’t we?”

The man pulled back and slowly removed his hood. The face of the man on the night of the wedding appeared. The very same man that met Leo by the lake, and the very same man who made an assassination attempt to the bride.

Leo raised his sword and shouted, “Heathen!”

“Ah, the young Lord has shown his colors. If my eyes had known it was you on that night, I would have slit your throat.”

“What brings you here, Theoden!”

“Arcturus Theoden, remember thine name good sir,” Arcturus said as he gave a bow, “In the name of peace, I come to talk.”

“Do you mock me? Do you think I am a fool?” Leo quickly slashed at Arcturus who anticipated the attack and moved back safely.

“My loyalty to the house of Theoden is no more.”

“Has the house shattered its honor?”

“Nay, my sister Ana Theoden. Whom I tried to assassinate, is my sister.”

Leo pupils opened wide, at his discovery. The danger to the Duchey came to surface. Did Arcturus tell the truth? Did Ana know of their wearabouts?

“Spit it out Theoden what is it you aim for?” Leo said beginning the bargaining.

Arcturus laughed and said, “Well said! It is clear that we both have one aim, to kill Ana. I come here to form allegiance and destroy the nobles. It is time that both Theoden and Duchey work together as our ancestors have done so.”

Leo listened with attention as Arcturus spoke. The gravity of the situation changed as Leo’s thoughts soon dwelled upon the current course the Duchey must take.

“On the new moon I shall give you my reply,” with that Leo ran back to headquarters leaving Arcturus alone on the rooftop.

“Brother!” Leo whispered as a tear fell from his eyes as he completed his mourning for his lost brother.

 

 

 

 

                           

 



© 2008 Pakino


Author's Note

Pakino
A few issues with grammar. Busy lately so am not able to post often! I will try my best in the next one.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
Added on June 18, 2008


Author

Pakino
Pakino

Toronto



About
Student at Ryerson University. Martial Artist (Kendo) Guitarist Gamer (RPG w00t) Anime And pure randomness more..

Writing
Beast Within Beast Within

A Poem by Pakino


Death Death

A Poem by Pakino