Trains & Planes,

Trains & Planes,

A Chapter by Jasmine S. Edwards
"

once you get gone, you miss your home.

"

In a room with a large round table a meeting is taking place. The people’s faces are shielded from one another but they trust each other. They all wear gray. They talk about the city and how corrupt it has become and how government officials and workers do nothing about it. The decide to take matters into their own hands. They believe the city will end up destroying itself and from its ashes, they will rule. The Order will be the only governing body and they will extend their reach to Gongora and Condor.

  Kenjin gets a new case on stolen prosthetics. Chop shop owners are enlisting the help of orphaned children to mug and detach prosthetics to sell them on the black market. Military officials are paying top dollars to have them for their wounded soldiers while also taking them away from enemy ones. A vicious cycle has started in which anyone with a prosthetic is a target, solider or not. Recently one owner has gained a monopoly over the distribution of the prosthetics to different cities and territories.

  Kenjin and Carmyne have to find their base but it could be anywhere in the surrounding area. They drive around in Kenjin's slick black convertible-sports car trying to find someone they can follow. They take trains to nearby cities tailing an orphan child to a hanger where a private plane takes off and transports the goods. Hitching a plane ride with a civilian they find the base in a foreign territory-Condor.  A warehouse of stolen prosthetics is being modified using child labor. The warehouse has a picture of a black panther on it.

  Carmyne recognizes one of these laborers as a friend of Zane, Riley. She asks him if Zane is here and who brought him here. He said a woman set up an orphanage in which the adults that run the factory find children to work for them. Some children come here looking for work to support their family since their parents are disabled. They tell the children that if they work hard and long enough they can obtain the prosthetics, but they never think of how much money the surgery really costs. He says they get paid but only enough for food. The boy directs them to the overseer’s tower, a woman is running the operation- the Black Panther Leader. She is not here, however and one of her followers is the overseer.

 

  Kenjin calls in for back up to have the children relocated to real orphanages and back to their real families.  Kenjin feels conflicted and believes they were better off working in the warehouse than dealing with the cruelties of an orphan in the city. Carmyne promises that when she finds Zane and Kalani, she will take him in as well. Zane tells her that its ok, he will find his mother and brother again and for now he will wait for them at the orphanage.

Captain arrives with his men and women and launches two waves on the warehouse. The first explosion creating an opening for the workers to leave while the second explosion took out the overseers tower. The captain returns to headquarters with the children, his men, Carmyne and Kenjin. Carmyne explains that these children need real homes, medical attention and real jobs. Captain doesn't mind having the older ones under his command but the younger ones are forced into orphanages. He really doesn't have a solution when it comes to their family problems. Kenjin believes that Condor will be more friendly to them than The City. Captain agrees since it is a more   suburban environment than urban and send the younger ones to Condor's main orphanage.

Sequence: "Trains & Planes"- Zion I & The Grounch

Carmyne takes a toodler Zane around Condor. She rides a bike and has him strapped into her basket that hangs off the back. She rides though neighborhoods with massive mansions and luscious landscapes. Kids jump rope, play hop-scotch and have water balloon fights. She rides her bike into town, following a dirt road beside train tracks. In the center of town, she gets groceries at the farmer's market. Fresh fruit, vegetables and meat will make a great dinner tonight. She runs them back to the communal building she lives in and leaves them in the massive kitchen. During the evening, she takes Zane to a cliff overlooking the sea. She sees a plane fly overhead and sail boats in the water. Looking at the sunset, she holds Zane and in the distance is the Jungle of Gongora and The City. That night she packs their bags as Zane sleeps.



© 2014 Jasmine S. Edwards


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

327 Views
Added on March 23, 2014
Last Updated on March 24, 2014


Author

Jasmine S. Edwards
Jasmine S. Edwards

Rochester, NY



About
College student who loves to write in my free time :) Always looking for inspiration and a good story to read. I write what comes to my mind or my takes on stories unfinished. My smart phone, a pen a.. more..

Writing