My Foolish Heart,

My Foolish Heart,

A Chapter by Jasmine S. Edwards
"

I trust thee to not be deceived

"

Carmyne is singing in the shower to her favorite  blues-jazz song. "Oh how I love you so, lost in those memories and now you've gone. I feel the pain, feel it like a fool, Adieu. My love for you burns deep, inside me-so strong. Embers of times we had and now here I stand, lost in a memory. I see your face and smile."

Kenjin asks what song she was singing and she replies, “ Adieu by The Seatbelts”.  She explains that her father loved listening to jazz music and that his last wife was a jazz singer. It’s the last song she ever sang before her death and became her requiem. He played the tune every year on their anniversary which is the same day she died. Her father would play the piano while Carmyne sang along.

  She remembers that Apollo would hum the tune to her when she couldn’t sleep due to explosions and gunshots in the distance. He was familiar with the tune as well being a jazz musician. Seymour didn’t know anything about jazz music and grew up on pop-rock bands and hip-hop but he didn’t mind the tune, although it was a pretty sad song. He tells them that his father was also familiar with the tune however. Carmyne found Seymour humming it on occasion.

  Still no case assigned, letting off some steam, Kenjin and Carmyne relax at a local dive bar. A woman sings a song, “My Foolish Heart” while a man plays the piano, another man plays the sax, a woman plays the bass and another woman plays the drums. Carmyne can’t take her eyes off the saxophonist while Kenjin was checking out the singer.



"Gave you my key, man I'm sure I gave it to you yesterday. I knew you were coming right here, everyday. Come by, it's gonna rain. No my doorbell don't work no more, you know you gotta use that key cause you just lose something you find! Lalalala, lalalala, here's a storm for you my dear. Lalalala, lalalala, I've been calling you." A beautiful drum and saxophone end off the song.



  They finish their song with a light applause from the crowd. Not too many people are at the bar tonight. They take a break to socialize and drink. The singer and the saxophone player disappear behind stage, the bass player grabs a drink with the drummer. Kenjin goes outside to smoke a cigarette while Carmyne drinks some more. Yet again, the man playing the piano approaches her seeing that she was alone. She quickly denies his advance trying to avoid the previous situation. He says that she’s denying him because she likes Mr. Saxophone, but he warns her that Gren and Julia are nothing but trouble.



  Kenjin returns from his cigarette break and shoos the man away.  The saxophonist and the singer appear from behind stage after a quickie. A woman stumbles into the bar after him with a bomb strapped to her chest. Her cheating husband is the sax player, Gren and the mistress the singer, Julia. He has a secret family she knew nothing about while they have yet to have any children of their own. The bass player steps in to calm her down; telling her that her husband cheated on her too and had children with another woman and that she walked away from their relationship with no resentment towards him. The drummer disables the bomb after the lady is under control.



  Carmyne knows she must have been in the army. When they are in each other’s glance they freeze as they recognize each other. The last time she saw him was when she first arrived in the city and he was with a woman named Stella. She couldn’t believe he-she was still alive. Confused to see Apollo appearing to be a woman and they knew Stella, Kenjin wants some answers. He points he gun at him-her and asks how does he-she know Stella. He says that she was just a woman who likes jazz music, gizmos and gadgets.



Sequence: "My Foolish Heart"- Soil & "Pimp" Sessions

Apollo walks the streets at night. He passes by a man playing his guitar for money, a couple showing affection in public, kids head home as the street lights come one. Apollo stops and watches an apartment from a far. A woman approaches from behind and taps him on the shoulder. She has a bottle of pills. Carmyne tucks Kalani in and then looks out her window, crying to herself. Apollo smokes a cigarette for the first time with Gren and he hates it. Seymour sees Zane and Riley splashing in a puddle before realizing that they both should be home. Seymour walks in their direction and picks up a key. The bass player drags Apollo and Gren inside, Julia meets Gren for the first time. Zane returns home but he has lost his house key. Seymour listens to Julia sing, leaves the bar and then watches Carmyne's apartment with key in hand.




© 2014 Jasmine S. Edwards


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

393 Views
Added on March 24, 2014
Last Updated on March 24, 2014


Author

Jasmine S. Edwards
Jasmine S. Edwards

Rochester, NY



About
College student who loves to write in my free time :) Always looking for inspiration and a good story to read. I write what comes to my mind or my takes on stories unfinished. My smart phone, a pen a.. more..

Writing