Thieves in the Night,

Thieves in the Night,

A Chapter by Jasmine S. Edwards
"

chasing after death to call themselves brave

"

The crime syndicates are the big dogs of international crime but each city has gangs that were tied to a syndicate. Gangs are used to get the young men and women ready for the big league. Many don’t survive the streets to become syndicate members and those that do still have to prove their loyalty until their death. No one is allowed out once in unless the syndicate leader was taken down by your hands-a not so simple task with loyal members in the thousands.

  The city was divided into 4 syndicate districts- The Red Snake, The Blue Dragon, The Black Panther and The White Wolf. It was easy to tell what gang a member was in due to their distinct tattoos and apparel colored with the associated syndicate. Lorelei has her own gang, the Pink Flamingos aka the Park Bench People. Her targets were not only the wealthy but also petty gangs that work for the syndicates. It seems her actions are causing the gangs hostilities towards each other to be at an all time high.

  She hears through the grapevine that the gangs are rallying together and are getting ready to have a showdown in the park. Lorelei sends out a message to her pink flamingos telling them to get in on the action. They wear anything but pink, of course. Kenjin knows this is going to end badly and tells Lorelei to stay out of it but she says she’s already a part of it.



  It’s the annual competition. At the park, Kenjin, Carmyne and Apollo watch from afar. At the four corners of the park the gangs gather with weapons in hand. Each syndicate has a specialty one: blue katana, red chakram, white flail, and the black bagh nakha. Lorelei and the pink flamingos have their specialty weapon as well, the pink crossbow. Lorelei’s gang watches from afar too. Each of the gang leaders comes to the middle of the park to confirm they are ready to fight. Setting down their weapons they battle it out with words- round one. Round two- they head out in the city and tag each other’s territories in the most dangerous spots.  Since the Park Bench People are everywhere, they invade every territory. Round three, participants meet back in the park for the biggest game of capture the flag and weapons are permitted.

  When all is said and done, Lorelei and her followers were able to capture all the flags and this mystery gang disappears into the night as they are everyday people with no indication of gang affiliation.


Sequence: "Thieves in the Night"-Blackstar

Graffitti can be found throughout the city-Dragon, Snake, Wolf and Panther murals. But another symbol is appearing throughout the city. Pink Flamingos are tagged on cars, hoodies, walls of buildings and on benches. As a child, Lorelei receives a stuffed animal of a pink flamingo from her parents. A house fire killed her parents. As a teen, she returns to her old house hoping to find something, but even the foundation is gone now. She goes to where the backyard would be and digs. She finds a box she and her mother had buried. In it is a photo of her parents, a watch, a hair brush, eyeshadow, jewelry she made and the pink flamingo stuffed animal. She reburies the box and leaves a note that reads: "Thee Pink Flamingo was here!"




© 2014 Jasmine S. Edwards


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

363 Views
Added on March 24, 2014
Last Updated on March 24, 2014


Author

Jasmine S. Edwards
Jasmine S. Edwards

Rochester, NY



About
College student who loves to write in my free time :) Always looking for inspiration and a good story to read. I write what comes to my mind or my takes on stories unfinished. My smart phone, a pen a.. more..

Writing