Musician,

Musician,

A Chapter by Jasmine S. Edwards
"

songs from the heart have no gender

"

The last time Carmyne saw Apollo was when she first came to the city looking for a better job opportunity as an escort. She runs into Apollo at a local bar, playing the drums. She follows him and his lady friend to his apartment with her son tagging along. The woman, Stella asks Apollo about Seymour’s whereabouts and tells her that he is in this city but frequently leaves on “business trips”. She asks him if he has seen her boyfriend, but he hasn’t. She leaves without following him inside to go search for him. Carmyne is too far away to hear their conversation.  Apollo heads inside only to hear a knock on the door seconds later. Surprised to see her with a child he lets her stay with him knowing how dangerous the city is at night.



   As Zane rests on the couch, Apollo asks Carmyne if the child is his and she tells him he’s Seymour’s. She does want to stay with Apollo and has no intention on being with Seymour. He wants her to stay too, if only for tonight. He tells her that he is making a trade with Seymour in a couple days- “Crystal” for money. She doesn’t like that he’s going to meet up with him alone and that he is dealing crystals; since Seymour had tried killing him towards the end of the war and he was imprisoned for crystal possession. He says he addicted to them and shows her the side effects- grave hormonal imbalance in which he developed breasts and curves. Carmyne doesn’t want him to go and hopes they can stay together. They spend the night together, rekindling the feelings they once had for each other.

  A couple days later, he disappears again. He meets up with Seymour on a roof of a building with many balconies. He brings a bag of crystal with him and Seymour brought a suitcase of money. Not opening the suitcase he kicks it away and starts shooting at Seymour. Seymour attacks with his katana. He is seemingly killed by Seymour when he threw him from the roof of a twelve story building. Apollo was prepared though. He had Stella on standby with a mechanism that can cushion his fall by entrapping him in a force field, real blood and a pill that can make him appear dead. Seymour did not watch Apollo fall to his death for the bomb exploded destroying his helicopter. He flees never checking the body.


  Apollo is pleased to meet the infamous, Kenjin, Stella’s other lover. Now Carmyne knows his connection to Seymour other than working a private case for his captain. Carmyne tells  Kenjin to put down the gun and tells Apollo she is searching for her children. Carmyne wonders why he didn’t let her know he was still alive. He responded by saying he doesn’t want their daughter, Kalani to have two mothers and that if Seymour figured out he survived he would be hunted down until he was really dead and use him to find Carmyne and/or Stella. He puts his drum sticks in his coat pocket and takes them to his apartment.



  There she sees many pictures on his wall; many from their war days and of him playing the drums, one of his mother, one of his father, one of Carmyne and Zane, one of Stella sitting at the bar and one Zane took of Carmyne and Apollo one night. He takes a picture of Kenjin and Carmyne and adds it to his wall. Carmyne tells him that all he needs is a picture of him with Kalani and Zane. Apollo agrees to help in anyway he-she can. They make his apartment another home base.


Sequence: "Musician"- Yuna

Apollo and Carmyne sing during their downtime as Seymour listens happily. That night, Carmyne bathes in the moonlight while the boys are on lookout duty. In the city, Apollo plays the drums while Zane plays the piano and Carmyne hums along. He reads Zane a bedtime story an then gets in bed with Carmyne when Zane falls asleep. Some night, Carmyne goes to the dive bar to see his band play. Nine months later, Carmyne shows the newborn Kalani to Zane. As a toddler, she plays with stick like they are drums. Carmyne places a picture of Kalani in the frame with the picture of her, Apollo and Zane.




© 2014 Jasmine S. Edwards


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
Added on March 24, 2014
Last Updated on March 24, 2014


Author

Jasmine S. Edwards
Jasmine S. Edwards

Rochester, NY



About
College student who loves to write in my free time :) Always looking for inspiration and a good story to read. I write what comes to my mind or my takes on stories unfinished. My smart phone, a pen a.. more..

Writing