The Drifter & The Gypsy,

The Drifter & The Gypsy,

A Chapter by Jasmine S. Edwards
"

find the beauty in the hideous

"

Carmyne talks about her past as a prostitute with Kenjin. The war had lasted from when Carmyne was 11 until she was 14. She tells Kenjin that Seymour didn’t know that she had Zane because they went their separate ways after the war.  She moved to Condor hoping to track him down eventually. She barely knew anything about Seymour's past; he didn’t really mention much expect that he was from the city  and to her dismay that he had a girlfriend. Zane was born at their head base camp in Gongora. The nurse that delivered Zane helped him and Carmyne  get to Condor.



  There, she had to find a way to provide for Zane anyway she could. As a 15 year old, she didn’t have many options. A woman, the nurses sister, allowed Zane to stay with her and some other children whose mothers were in the same situation. However, she still had to work to compensate for some of the child’s expenses. She suggested finding a job at a restaurant or corner store. She found a job at a small restaurant where mostly adults came to and most were on a date with their mate. One night a single man came to the restaurant and she was his waitress.  He flirted with her and she played along hoping he would leave a nice tip and he did. When she got off work, the man followed her home to see where she lived and found out that she has a child. The next night, he returned to the restaurant, she was his waitress again and again he left a nice tip. This time, when he followed her home he kidnapped her.



  Coming back into consciousness, she finds herself at an underground club face to face with a pimp.  Her only option was to become a prostitute to keep Zane alive.

  When she turned 20 she made it to the city and became an escort who was used to get the scoop on businessmen and their companies’ actions for the crime bosses.

  One man in particular was the owner of the city’s casino. He tells her that he wants to break away from the "White Wolf" and have full jurisdiction over all gambling in the city. He tells her he plans on taking out “The White Wolf” using his casino girls. He is dead now and in exchange for the prostitutes that killed him, they were promoted to casino girls and their pimp, “Big Pappa” was given a small percentage of their profit which grew when Vanilla obtained the deed by using her followers to kill the newly appointed casino owner.



  Carmyne tells Kenjin that if you try to stop one thing it just gives someone  the opportunity to finish what another started. It would be impossible for them to take down the prostitution ring. She is technically still employed and the last thing she would want to do is imprison an old friend because she knows that she too has children she’s  living and working for. Kenjin understands and passes no judgment.


Sequence: "The Drifter & The Gypsy"- Rosi Golan

Carmyne runs through crop fields to the main road. Zane is running right behind her and their belongings are in a single suitcase. She hitches a ride with a man headed to the city. When they arrive, she looks for their new apartment. When they find it, he immediately starts decorating. They have dinner at the coffee table in the living room. On a rainy day, water leaks into the apartment. Carmyne places a bucket where most of it is coming from. Already damp, Zane and she play in the rain. Another day, she leaves him at home while she joins Vanilla at a private party to entertain some men. In the morning, she eats breakfast with her son, Vanilla and Vanilla's daughters. That night, she reads him a bedtime story until they both fall asleep.




© 2014 Jasmine S. Edwards


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

379 Views
Added on March 24, 2014
Last Updated on March 24, 2014


Author

Jasmine S. Edwards
Jasmine S. Edwards

Rochester, NY



About
College student who loves to write in my free time :) Always looking for inspiration and a good story to read. I write what comes to my mind or my takes on stories unfinished. My smart phone, a pen a.. more..

Writing