Draw the Stars,

Draw the Stars,

A Chapter by Jasmine S. Edwards
"

for they are souls and the soul is eternal

"


Kenjin was a street child. His mother left when he was a young and his father, Spike Sonhar Spiegel was a gang leader. He befriends Lamar early on and Seymour in his teenage years. His father takes the three under his wings and shows them the way of survival. He teaches them hand to hand combat, takes them on hunting trips outside the city, and even teaches them how to do stakeouts.



  One year they all went on a hunting trip to Callisto forest in the region where the Ganymede mountain lies. Spike makes them climb a face of a waterfall with all of them tied together. Kenjin slips but Seymour quickly helps him recover. Next, he makes them practice archery on wild birds and fish. Lamar was better using his hands than a weapon. One night, a pack of wolves and a grizzly bear attacked their camp, severely injuring Spike. The boys manage to kill the wolves and bring Spike back to the nearest town. There he got stitches on his face across his nose and his chest. His is proud that the boys kept their cool and did what they needed to do to survive.





Spike saved Kenjin’s life by giving a crime syndicate jurisdiction over his territory. Their leader was Seymour’s father, Vicious Chamberlain Kearn. Seymour was planted into the gang to gather information on their actions and to find their weak points, mainly the safety of Kenjin. Seymour however, became friends with Lamar and Kenjin to his father’s dismay. To split them up, Seymour and Lamar were sent to war while Kenjin was left carrying out assassinations for Vicious against his will.




  Seymour sent letters to Kenjin telling him he was sorry for being a snake and that he resents his father for sending him to war. He felt as though he choose Kenjin to be his successor over his own son. Kenjin replied by saying when he returns they will duel it out and he is sure he will be defeated, believing that war is a much better teacher than assassins.


  Spike confronted Vicious and the two dueled and killed each other. With no leader, the gang and the syndicate fought for power. Kenjin refused to take over, he waited for Seymour and Lamar to return.


  In the present, Lorelei returns from her night of adventure only to be scolded by Apollo like a mother scolding her child. Lorelei mocks him-her and tells Apollo to grow some balls which he replies that he has some. She says she’ll never get used to Apollo being male and female telling Apollo to choose one. He replies telling her to choose one; male or female pointing out the fact that she dresses and acts like a man and woman, are you White or Native American, are you a hacker or a gang leader, are you good or well behaved, compassionate or polite, strong or aggressive? No reply from Lorelei.  




  They all sit on the rooftop of the apartment complex and look at the stars shinning in the clear sky- a meteor shower is occurring. Apollo says that they all come from stars and that we are all the same. Yes, the stars are different colors but they all are born the same way and die the same way. Humans just like to place humans in categories and give them labels to instill superiority and inferiority. Those that can transcend that thinking will find peace among those stars for the stars know that their souls are free from the chains of earthly attachments.


Sequence: "Draw the Stars"- Andreya Triana

Vicious stands over the lifeless body of his grandfather with a bloody sword. Spike cries over his mother's coffin. Faye finds out she is pregnant. Zamira dies in childbirth. Spike and Kenjin attend Lamar's parent's funeral. Vicious beats a young Seymour for being scared of a nightmare. Stella patches his stitches. A drunk man passes out as Edward sneaks out the house with a luggage bag. Carmyne sits on a windowsill as Ralph sleeps, Kenjin holds a picture of his mother as he looks at the stars. Fireworks go off; Carmyne vies them with Ralph, Kenjin views them with Spike while Seymour views them alone.




© 2014 Jasmine S. Edwards


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

399 Views
Added on March 25, 2014
Last Updated on March 25, 2014


Author

Jasmine S. Edwards
Jasmine S. Edwards

Rochester, NY



About
College student who loves to write in my free time :) Always looking for inspiration and a good story to read. I write what comes to my mind or my takes on stories unfinished. My smart phone, a pen a.. more..

Writing