The Singing Sea,

The Singing Sea,

A Chapter by Jasmine S. Edwards
"

is silent in a noisy way with the waves carrying a song.

"

Carmyne and Kenjin help transport the kids to Condor. Carmyne sees how lucky Zane is. Despite this incident he's had a pretty good childhood. He has childhood friends, something Carmyne never had. Growing up in rural/ jungle Gongora, she didn't live around many people. Kenjin tells Carmyne about his childhood friend, Lamar.  He went into the navy while Kenjin remained in the city. Before they were separated, Lamar was more like a brother than a friend.




  Two years ago, he was reunited with his friend who was confined to a wheel chair. He tells Kenjin that his ship was attacked by pirates in the sea between Condor and the city.  In the battle he lost his right leg and left arm. Kenjin got into contact with a distributor of prosthetics. Not having enough money to pay for the surgery, Kenjin gives a majority of his earnings to Lamar and told him that he would steal them if need be. Lamar told him not to be that rash and that he would come up with the rest. Last he knew, Lamar moved to Condor to be close to the sea and a woman he fell in love with. She was the nurse who kept him alive and set him up with a home in Condor. She vowed to take care of him and help him save up enough. Lamar was just happy to have her by his side and didn’t mind being in a wheelchair. Kenjin returned to his life in the city and hopes to see his friend again sometime soon.


  With Riley and the rest of the children at the orphanage, Kenjin takes Carmyne to Condor Bay to the boardwalk. The summer festival is going on. Carmyne has never been to a festival and she can't remember the last time she wasted money of gmes an sweets. They play games and eat cotton candy  until their mouths turn blue. They ride on the Ferris Wheel that is man-powered. It is both an amazing and terrifying experience. Carmyne promises she will bring her children here one day and maybe one day with Kenjin and his family. Kenjin says that day won't come because he doesn't want kids. She laughs and say that what every man says, but most are usually in their early twenties, not late. He laughs and says that woman usually have children in their twenties not, teens. She pushes him over the railing into the sea. 

Kenjin swims to the end of the boardwalk as Carmyne walks on it. Kenjin tells her to jump in, but she refuses. She doesn't like open water and can't swim. Kenjin floats in the water as Carmyne tells a story of a sailor who was lost at sea and how it would sing to him at night. She tells of how he would see allusions; talking silver trees, rainbow rat, checkered cat, a golden bird, a cheese moon and a sun that’s hot and cold. They all represented someone in his life that died when their boat sank. The rat was his father, the cat was a life boat attendant, the bird was a girl he met. The moon was full that night. An explosion as hot as the sun hit the ship. His father was trapped in their room on the lowest deck that became flooded quickly.  The girl was taken by hypothermia  when she fell overboard into the freezing water.  The life boat attendant was crushed when another boat fell on him as he tried to help the boy escape. He managed to survive on a piece of silver metal that carried him to shore. Every time he goes to the ocean, he can hear their voices calling out to him, calling him to the sea he escaped from.

Making it back to shore, Kenjin starts walking along the beach until they reach a pathway that leads to a small beachfront community. They go to Lamar’s house. Kenjin is surprised to see it vacant. He doesn’t know if he moved or if he died. All of his belongings are gone, so he believes that he moved. No clues were left behind, though. They sit in the sand that was his front yard and watch the sunset.


Sequence: "The Singing Sea"-The Seatbelts

Carmyne falls asleep on the sand. Kenjin carries her to the water and places her feet near the water. She feels the water creep on her feet, but doesn't awaken. Her feet move a little for in her dream, her sister and she run around the cruise ship in their bathing suits. The ocean breeze is strong sending their hair flying everywhere. They run into a man whose dressed more like a business man than a vacationer. Carmyne is knocked down but he helps her get back up. He smiles and waves goodbye to them as they continue to their destination. They find their parents relaxing on recliners in the shade of an umbrella. The sisters jump into the pool and splash each other and their parents. Eventually she floats and stares at the cloudless-sunny sky. She mouth the words in her sleep, "When I grow up, I'll go down the river to that singing sea."




© 2014 Jasmine S. Edwards


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

347 Views
Added on March 24, 2014
Last Updated on March 24, 2014


Author

Jasmine S. Edwards
Jasmine S. Edwards

Rochester, NY



About
College student who loves to write in my free time :) Always looking for inspiration and a good story to read. I write what comes to my mind or my takes on stories unfinished. My smart phone, a pen a.. more..

Writing