Part One: Jay's Story- Chapter One: Officials?

Part One: Jay's Story- Chapter One: Officials?

A Chapter by Locke Redwyne (night sys)

Part One: The Three Stories: Jay, Raven, and Dove

Jay's Story

Chapter One: Officials


I sit with my best friends, Mandy and Kyndra, in the shade of a tree near the track. It’s the last day of school and field day. The entire seventh grade is gathered to watch the last race. The three of us watch quietly as our other friend, Morgan, steps up to the starting line. I fidget, tugging at the grass. Mandy is also having trouble sitting still, nervously fiddling with the pencil in her hand. Kyndra is quiet and reserved, unusual for her. They’ve both been acting different for a while, but, being the fantasy-focused person I am, I’ve never questioned why.

The gun goes off, signaling the start of the race. We all stand to see better, and I’m surprised at the crowd gathering around the finish line. Morgan is nowhere to be seen. A thin line of dust rises along her lane in the track, as if... I finally spot her, standing at the finish line in the middle of a group of men in black suits who are easily recognizable as S.W.O.R.D officials. The hero organization has been around since before my parents were born, and almost everyone with superpowers is trained there. It appears that Morgan will be going there too, as the officials herd her through the crowd. Everyone else in the race hasn't even gotten halfway to the finish line.

I’ve lost track of Mandy and Kyndra as I shove through the people to get a better look. “Morgan!” I shout. “What’s going on?”

“I’m not sure,” she calls back, sounding worried. “They’re taking me to S.W.O.R.D for testing.” That’s all I hear before she’s bundled into a long black limousine with the officials. As it drives off, leaving me in the dust, all I can think of is the word ‘testing’.

~~~~~~~

When I get home from school after tearful goodbyes with my friends and teachers, the first thing I do is Google search “S.W.O.R.D testing.” The results are... troubling. There are many references to creating new, possibly dangerous to the wielder and to those around them, Genetic Modifications (GMs), artificial metapowers given to many without who still want to join S.W.O.R.D or a villain organization. Some less-popular and well-protected sites take my programs a few minutes to hack but yield startling fruits. One site mentions a mind-altering formula to change the parts of the brain, like the amygdala, that create a reaction to fear, essentially making a fearless and more reckless hero or official. A second site hints at a possible power-removing formula. The list goes on. But everything that they’re testing... they’re testing on humans.

On new recruits.

I close out of the websites and return to Google. I peek behind me to make sure my bedroom door is closed. Then I look up “Agencies opposing S.W.O.R.D” Immediately, I see that two names of well-known villain agencies pop up multiple times: the I.I.E.M. (International Institution of Evil Masterminds) and the S.O.S. (Society of Supervillains). There’s a link to an official S.O.S. website. I click it. My program slips through the firewall in minutes. They really need to get that updated. The website is mostly communications, random villain gossip, and the latest news involving villain heists, escapes, and arrests. I scroll down until I see what has to be the organization’s address. I write it down, then quickly close out of my computer before my parents come upstairs to ask why I’m in my room before my chores are done. Slipping the paper under my pillow, I peek in my closet at the design I’ve been working on. A costume of sorts. Just in case I ever manifested powers, like my sister did.

The outfit is a thigh-length dress with a black belt and short sleeves. There are two pairs of bracelet-like devices, one for my wrists, one for my ankles. These attach to the wing-flaps expertly folded into the dress. Alongside are leggings, boots, and a few gadgets I’d wear. This might be it. I know for certain I’m going to need this tonight.

“Jules! Come downstairs and help me with the dishes!” I close my closet and see my younger sister, Skylee, leaning on the door.

“Yeah, I’m right behind you.” I dart forwards, barely managing to poke her in the arm before she speeds down the stairs. Superspeed. So far, it’s her only power, but she has the potential to unlock more. Morgan’s power is superspeed too. What does that mean? I shake off the thought, starting down the stairs. Tonight. I get answers tonight.

~~~~~~~

When my clock says 8:00 and the sun sinks lower in the sky, I slip into my costume. I’d made the last few finishing touches after dinner, having rushed upstairs. My parents probably assumed I was typing. As I clip the bracelets on and attack the wing-flaps, a rush of anticipation and fear courses through me. And something else. An emotion I can’t quite place. Perhaps a feeling that I’m doing something I shouldn’t. Something my parents wouldn’t like me doing.

I ignore the thoughts pounding around in my head as I clip the Techno- Goggles on. The goggles are standard equipment for heroes with flight and air-related powers, anything that allows them to be more than five feet above the ground, really. They can gauge height, speed, wind, and even have a built-in GPS just in case said hero gets steered off course. I’d stolen some as a dare earlier in the year after my sister’s nagging outweighed the threat of possible punishment from my parents. Not that they ever found out.

I’m ready. I step onto the window-ledge and feel the breeze catching on the flaps of my costume as the goggles turn on. All of my tech and everything else I’ve collected over the years will have to stay. There’s no way I can carry it all to the S.O.S. base. And I’ll have plenty of time to figure out how to get into the organization while I’m flying. Flying. Though I’ve run the calculation over and over again, I’ve never actually flown the suit. Well. Time to test it out.

I step off the ledge into the open air, spreading my arms to catch the wind.



© 2018 Locke Redwyne (night sys)


Author's Note

Locke Redwyne (night sys)
Part One: The Three Stories was written by Jay and edited by Peregrinator7 and Dragon.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

... their leader, Darknight, wasn't... (add the commas)
between explosives) and Yes!: I shot upright, a lightbulb going off in my mind.
I finished my flight suit, looked up the... (replace the 'and' that is there with a comma)


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Locke Redwyne (night sys)

6 Years Ago

Done darn i more characters
Locke Redwyne (night sys)

6 Years Ago

Dude she doesn't even mention Kyndra whatsoever

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
1 Review
Added on November 20, 2017
Last Updated on August 21, 2018

The Coalition Files By Jay_is_Bluefire, Peregrinator7, and Crazy Dragon Lady


Author

Locke Redwyne (night sys)
Locke Redwyne (night sys)

WA



About
Wow, we haven't used this account in literal years! DID system of 19, idk if we'll be posting here but. I'm so glad to find this archive of our old writing. more..

Writing