3rd Person POV

3rd Person POV

A Chapter by Locke Redwyne (night sys)

[Third person P.O.V. detected]


The clearing stands empty, the setting sun casting long shadows on the trees and plants gathered around it. Then the trees part, revealing Darknight, Darkling, Jay, Dove, and the Dirthawkers, minus Peregrinator. Darknight looks around, still silent. Finally, he whispers “Avi. Sunt ibi?” For five long minutes, there is no answer.

“Huc,” a voice whispers from the trees. “Zavier, Tenebris, Jules, Max, Uitgelaat, John, Alex.”

“Geez, you don’t have to be so cryptic,” a different voice says. “And besides, I already know all their names. Except Wilson’s. How did you know that?” The voice obviously belongs to Peregrinator. She has bandages wrapped around her side.

“There you are, I was looking for you,” Darknight scolds. “Quit running off like that! You’ll get yourself killed.”

“I’m so scared,” Peri replies sarcastically, grinning. “Whatever.”

“Good, good, you’re all here.” A figure in a wheelchair rolls out of the shadows. Hawk Guy.

“Avi,” Darknight greets. “How do you know our names? That’s a bit creepy.”

“Dirthawkers. Jay. Dove. Darknight and Darkling. All in one place, as allies.” He sighs. “A sight I thought I’d never see.”

“Yes, well, let’s get on with it. What did you want us for?” Jay demands indignantly.

Hawk Guy smiles. “Heh. Well…” He bites his lip.

“Spit it out,” Jay says.

“I think we’d all like to know what you’re going to say,” a creepily familiar voice says slyly.

“You,” Hawk Guy spat. “Come out where I can see you.”

S.W.O.R.D’s leader stepped out into the light. “Hello, Avi.”

“Fortitudo.”

Jay stifles a laugh and ends up snorting. Everyone stares at her. “What?”

“Dude. Your name is ‘strength’ in Latin?” Jay asks. She giggles. “That’s funny.”

Fortitudo glowers. “So what if it is? That’s my power, after all.” He pulls an iron-spiked mace from his belt. “You will die for that insult.” Everyone takes a step back. “Harsh,” Dove mutters.

“Maybe for other things, too,” Peri comments.

“What does that mean?” Darknight asks. He darts out of range as Fortitudo swings his mace.

“Like how I broke his arms and Spar slashed his face in half,” Peri deadpans.

“RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!” Fortitudo swings his mace again. “At least I can still see!” This time, he swings hard at Dove, who is caught off balance with his bad eye. Dove stumbles out of the way, tripping on a tree root.

“Hey!” he protests as Fortitudo scoops him up and holds him high in the air.

“What did he do to you?” Agent 12 asks, frowning.

“Everything,” Fortitudo says, his voice low and dangerous. “Everything.”

“Confused over here. What do you mean?” Jay asks.

“You should be attacking me, to say the least,” Peri says, raising her eyebrows. Fortitudo practically growls, then throws Dove aside. Dove lands with a thump on the ground, grunting. Fortitudo grins.

“You’re right, I should,” when he charges her, Peri greets him with a block, courtesy of her macesaber. She opens her wings and front-flips behind Fortitudo. He blinks in surprise. “How…”

“You know I was going easy on you when you throttled me,” Peri says breathlessly as she continued to attack. “I could have ripped your arms open with my talons, then throttled you back. So I was doing you a favor, and being nice.” She brings her saber down hard on another parry. “The training you designed pays off more than you think it would.”

“And being blood-kin to the Eagle,” Agent 12 adds. Jay, Darkling, and Darknight nod in agreement. Everyone had circled the clearing when the fighting had started, to make sure that Fortitudo didn’t get away. Hawk Guy watches the battle with interest, and perhaps a little fear (though he’d never admit it).

“You go easy?” Fortitudo snorts a couple beats later. “Well, I was going easy earlier too.”

“Yeah, right,” Peri retorts, still parrying and attacking.

“Yeah, well, go easy on this!” Fortitudo brings his mace in like a wrecking ball and charges. Peri seems unfazed and blocks, but the force of the swing sends her sliding into a tree.

“You really want to play dirty?” Peri asks. Not waiting for a reply, she adds, “Well, you asked for it!” Peri kicks at Fortitudo with her boots. Agent 12 could see what was going to happen. In the seconds that are between Peri beginning the kick and making contact with Fortitudo’s chest, he can see the blades silently slipping out of the slits in the bottom of her boot. After the kick is complete, Fortitudo is left screaming, blood starting to leak from the four bloody spots on his chest.

“That’s dirty for you,” Peri laughs as she cleans the red off of the boot blades. The rest of the Dirthawkers whoop in celebration. Even Hawk Guy claps reluctantly.

But unlike the other times they have battled, Fortitudo claws his way up off the ground, his face bright red, his white-knuckled hand clutching his mace.

"Peregrinator!" he yells. Peri simply looks up from the cleaning, the calm expression on her face not hiding the mischevious glint in her eye.

“Can I help you?” she asks coolly.

“You have ruined me!” Fortitudo screams, springing up and heaving his mace high in the air. The ground nearly shakes as he barrels down to empty space where Peri was just standing, cleaning her boots. Hawk Guy bounces up in his wheelchair from the force. Darknight looks around frantically.

“Peri?” the worry is evident in his voice.

“Right here,” she assures him. “Hey, Fart-tit-tudo! You call that fast?”

“You want fast?” A voice shouts from the other side of the clearing. “Well, you’ve got it!” A blurred shape zips through the clearing, circling it and creating a whipping wind, but Peri had already taken to the air.

“I could see you before I heard you,” Peri says, grinning her distinct crooked smile. “It seems we have everybody here now.”

“Yes…” Hawk Guy agrees quietly. “It’s wonderful, isn’t it?” Darknight snorts in disagreement, but says nothing. Fortitudo growls at Hawk Guy.

“You disgraced my father’s father,” he snarls.

“How so? He won,” Hawk Guy points out.

“You live. He is dead.” Fortitudo glowers.

“You don’t know that,” Peri shoots back, still grinning slightly. “I thought Hawk Guy here was dead until he told me otherwise. Strong Man might still be alive.” Fortitudo rolls his eyes, unbelieving, and snorts.

“Like I’d believe anything you say,” he says.

“Hello? I thought we were fighting here!” Fortitudo’s daughter is standing in the middle of the clearing, one hand on her hip. “Can we get back to that?”

“I quite agree,” Fortitudo says, narrowing his eyes. His daughter draws a sword.

Peri snorts. “I don’t think two against one is very fair.” Only the rest of the Dirthawkers notice the subtle hand movement she makes towards them, but they all know what it means. Sparrowhawk, Wilson and Agent 12 immediately draw their weapons. Peri shrugs. “It just would be nice to even things up a bit.”

“Um, what does that mean?” Dove asks, suspicious. He holds his sword out in front of him, blinking his good eye rapidly. Darknight, Darkling, and Jay also ready their weapons. Hawk Guy silently wheels back into the cover of the trees to watch.

“Incitatus…” Fortitudo whispers.

“I’m ready,” his daughter replies. “We’ll go down fighting.”

Peri nods respectfully. “We have a no-killing rule.” She motions towards the others. “Their choice if you die.”

“What? Now it’s our decision?” Darknight protests.

“You can’t be a leader without making decisions,” Jay points out. “I’m not killing anyone.”

“Fine, I won't either,” Darknight agrees, somewhat reluctantly.

“We made a solemn vow,” Agent 12 states. “We only kill out of self-defense.”

“Seriously? They’re about to attack us,” Darknight says, rolling his eyes. “I’d say that’s self-defense.” He grips his sword tighter.

“Shall we?” Darkling nods, and so does Jay. “Bring it on, Strength and Speed.”

“Wow, is that the best you can do?” Incitatus laughs. “You’re losing your touch.”

“I was listing your weaknesses,” Darknight explains. Incitatus growls in response, and strikes, slicing with her sword. Darknight staggers back a few steps in surprise, blocking with his own sword. Clang. Darknight parries, parries, strikes. Blocks, swings, dodges. After a couple moments of watching the fight, Peri turns to Agent 12.

“Huh,” she says thoughtfully. “I wonder why both their names are in Latin?”

“Who knows?” Agent 12 replies. But before he can say anything more, they are swept up in the tide of battle. Fortitudo had attacked Darkling and Jay, but now they are backing him up against a tree. The Dirthawkers step back after a few seconds, since the battle is pretty much evened out. Hawk Guy watches with interest from the trees. Then he hears something in the trees that nobody else hears. A footstep. A weapon being drawn.

“Darknight, look out!” He calls.

Darknight turns, barely blocking Incitatus’s strike. His eyes flick back and forth through the trees, not seeing the danger. A ninja si flies out of the trees and hits Darknight. He falls, crying out in shock and pain. Inciticus moves in for the kill, but Dove leaps towards her, slapping the flat of his blade against her back. She isn't cut, but it gets her attention.

Dove and Incitatus fight back and forth across the clearing, while Darkling and Jay are occupied with Fortitudo. Darknight manages to drag himself into the trees, out of sight, where Hawk Guy is hidden. Propping himself up against a tree, he grimaces as he yanks the si from the wound in his gut. Hawk Guy helps him wrap the wound in the jacket that Dove had discarded before he’d jumped into the fight. Suddenly, a white shape leaps into the clearing. White Ninja had come to join the fight.

The skilled ninja sides with Fortitudo and Incitatus, and now the Dirthawkers join the fight. Hidden in the shadows of the trees, Darknight and Hawk Guy watch as the battle rages. At first, the Dirthawkers, Dove, Darkling, and Jay had the upper hand, but now Fortitudo, Incitatus, and White Ninja have gained the advantage.

“Avi,” Darknight whispers. “Who will win?”

“I cannot tell, Darknight,” Hawk Guy answers. “I hope that we win, though we won’t need to kill them.” Darknight nods. The battle continues, back and forth and back again. Then, the fighting stops. Darknight sees that Fortitudo has Dove and Peri pinned, while Incitatus and White Ninja hold everyone else back. Darknight reaches for his sword.

“Don’t,” Hawk Guy warns quietly.

“I will snap your scrawny necks,” Fortitudo growls, holding Dove and Peri against the ground by their… well… necks. “You are scum.”

“Well, try your best,” Peri says evenly, despite the fact she is practically strangled. “Last time you tried that with me I shattered the bones in your arms.”

“Wait…” Dove gasps for breath. “How are we ‘scum’?”

“You are half-breeds!” Fortitudo hisses. “You are the offspring of light and death!”

“Well, I’ve always been somewhere in the middle,” Peri comments.

“Um… light and death being who?” Dove asks, slowly prying at Fortitudo’s hand.

“Light is the Eagle, of course, but she was corrupted by death. Death… is Darknight,” Fortitudo glowers. “This is not acceptable.”

“Um… technically, then, Hawk Guy and Fast Girl’s kid is also a ‘half-breed’?” Darkling asks, feigning innocence.

“You’re more corrupt than Darknight or the Eagle,” Peri deadpans, now grappling at Fortitudo’s arms. “You want me to break them again?”

Darknight can't stand it a moment longer. He grabs his sword and steps out of the trees. “The Eagle was not corrupt,” he growls. “And you have to die, now.” He lunges at Fortitudo, swinging his sword. Fortitudo had lost his weapon, so he dodges, throwing Peri and Dove at their father. Darknight stumbles back, unbalanced.

“You’ll have to do better than that,” Fortitudo taunts, picking up Dove’s broadsword. “Come and get me, if you can.” Darknight strikes out, using darkness to lengthen his sword. Fortitudo parries, then stabs at Darknight, who ducks. Fortitudo drops the sword and grabs his mace. Charging, he swings the mace. Darknight dodges but runs into a tree. Grunting in pain, he grits his teeth and stands his ground. Leaning backward to avoid the next swing, Darknight steps forward and stabs his sword into Fortitudo’s chest. Howling, Fortitudo staggers away, swinging his mace wildly. Darknight’s sword remains stuck in his chest, the tip poking out the other side. Everyone dodges out of the way as Fortitudo falls, slamming into the ground in the middle of the clearing. Everyone stares in shocked silence as the leader of S.W.O.R.D writhes on the ground, slowly nearing his end.

There's a crack, and heads turn to see Agent 12 holding his 9mm. “He needed to be put out of his misery,” he says simply.

Incitatus whirls on Darknight and 12, eyes practically glowing with anger. “You will pay for this.” Then she runs off into the trees, clutching her father’s mace and her own sword. White Ninja looks around at everyone in the clearing, then silently follows. Darknight groans, slumping against a tree, exhausted. The makeshift wrapping over his wound is soaked in blood. Peri pulls herself up, nearly unscathed except a red ring around her neck. Her eyes are clouded, something no one but Agent 12 and Wilson had seen before.

“Darknight!” Darkling, Dove, and Jay rushed over to the villain’s side. Darknight’s eyes were unfocused, his breathing fast and irregular.

“We have to get him help,” Jay says, looking around for something to carry him on. Darkling concentrates, using his darkness powers to create a makeshift stretcher. Wilson padded over, offering his back. Darkling shook his head, using the darkness to lift Darknight up off the ground.

“I’ve got him.”

The weary group makes their way back towards the S.O.S. complex, with Hawk Guy wheeling along behind them. When they make it back to the complex, the sight of an injured Darknight gets stares, but the sight of Hawk Guy wheeling along behind the group attracts a lot more. It doesn't help that the Dirthawkers are a known hero group, and everyone, except for Peri, has blood on their weapons.

The group finds themselves sitting in the medic room, huddled in a circle around Darknight.

“What now?” Darkling asks, voice hollow.

“I don’t know,” Hawk Guy answers truthfully. “We wait?”

“I’ve done enough ‘waiting’,” Jay growls. “Who did this to him?” Hawk Guy sighs, then slips the bloody ninja si from his pocket, handing it to her. Jay’s touch freezes the blade; angry as she is, she can't help it.

“I will track him down,” Jay promises softly, her voice as hard and as cold as her powers. “And I will make him pay.”

The Dirthawkers just sit there, numb, Peri wiping her face on her sleeve. Agent 12 leans against Wilson, humming something and rapping his fists against Wilson’s scales, awkward ping ping sounds resonating through the room. Sparrowhawk is holding an empty water bottle, squeezing it dangerously hard. Dove taps his foot on the ground impatiently.

“Avi,” Darknight murmurs quietly.

“I’m here.”

“Did we--” he coughs. “Did we win?”

“Well…” Hawk Guy hesitates. “Sort of.”

“Heh.” Darknight stirs, trying to stand. “That’s… to be expected, I suppose.”

“No, rest a bit more!” Peri says sarcastically. “Don’t waste your energy!” Agent 12, Wilson and Sparrowhawk burst out laughing.

“Don’t speak to your father that way,” Hawk Guy scolds, not able to hold back a smile, prompting more laughter. Soon, everyone is laughing. Finally, everyone calms down, but then Jay mimics Hawk Guy and everyone starts laughing again. Darknight watches with interest, smiling. Darkling and Jay lean on each other as they laugh. By the time everyone has calmed down, Peri is lying flat on the floor, clutching her belly and wiping tears from her eyes. Spar is still killying slightly, and Agent 12 is rapping his knuckles on Wilson’s scales again, who is shuddering in amusement.

“Alright, seriously, we need a plan,” Darknight says

“I agree,” Darkling and Jay say in unison.

“Jinx!” Jay shouts.

“Jinx is a joke, you owe me a Coke,” Darkling shoots back.

“The jinx machine is out of order, come back later and--” Jay notices that everyone is staring at them. “Oh, never mind.”

Hawk Guy grins. “That one never gets old. Darknight is right, though, we need a plan.”

“We go in there, kick their butts, and lock them in jail,” Jay suggests.

“Right… if only it were that easy,” Darknight says, rolling his eyes.

“It is!” Jay protests. “We just need the right weapon!”

Peri rests her head in her hands and grins. “If we can’t beat them with skill and power, we beat them with cunning.”

“Cunning, huh?” Jay confirms, an evil smile growing. “I can do that.”


[END FILE]


[TO BE CONTINUED]



© 2018 Locke Redwyne (night sys)


Author's Note

Locke Redwyne (night sys)
Incitatus is speed in Latin.
THE END. Sorry, there's a lot less 3rd person POVs in the next two books.
As you know, Jules is Dove, Zavier is Darknight, Tenebris is Darkling, and Max is 12. Johnny is Spar and Uitgelaat is Wilson. NEXT BOOK HOORAY!!
Fartitudo! That's what he'll mainly go by, from now on

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Um it switches to past tense and back for part of it.... close to the end...

Posted 6 Years Ago


Locke Redwyne (night sys)

6 Years Ago

got it 10 characters
Locke Redwyne (night sys)

6 Years Ago

but only part way, i'll fix it tomorrow
Locke Redwyne (night sys)

6 Years Ago

how's that?

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
1 Review
Added on November 20, 2017
Last Updated on May 2, 2018

The Coalition Files By Jay_is_Bluefire, Peregrinator7, and Crazy Dragon Lady


Author

Locke Redwyne (night sys)
Locke Redwyne (night sys)

WA



About
Wow, we haven't used this account in literal years! DID system of 19, idk if we'll be posting here but. I'm so glad to find this archive of our old writing. more..

Writing